topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In Praise of Microsoft Frontpage??  (Read 3820 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In Praise of Microsoft Frontpage??
« on: October 05, 2005, 02:36 AM »
Recently the developer of a software component gave me a free license to use a component in return for doing some proofreading and translation checking of his website.

He sent me a large number of web pages and i had to go through them all and edit a lot of text.

Now, what tool to use...

the problems were twofold:

1) in order to facilitate comparing old and new versions, what was desired was an editor that would not reformat the html, adding, deleteing, or re-arranging elements.
2) i tried using a plaintext editor (rather than a visual html editor which shows the page as designed), which would have solved #1, but it was just far too hard to proofread and correct so much text on so many pages in this way.

i tried several visual html editor, and the best one i found for this task was, believe it or not, Microsoft Frontpage, which basically left the files exactly in their original form except for the edits i made.  the only thing i had to change was set the line length to 9999 or else it tried to break long lines after i edited them.

so, for this kind of task at least, MS Frontpage wins real kudos from me !!!
(ps. i'm as suprised as you are).

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In Praise of Microsoft Frontpage??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:09 AM »
I'll second that emotion. FrontPage 2003 is really, really good. Better yet, you can customize it to work as simply or as complex as you like. For those who like working visually, its WYSIWYG is unmatched. And if you just want to work with raw code, it does that well, too, just switch the tab and voila, you're instantly using what looks to be a text editor.