topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: houseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin  (Read 14608 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
houseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:45 PM »

About houseforge: In this series I recommend tools that meet certain criteria: they have to be free of charge, useful or fun, and they have to work at least on both linux and windows.

Suggestions are welcome  :)

The Past

The last houseforge recommendation brought you keepass. It's been over a year since that post, more than 12 months since I promised regular postings.

The present

Shamefully admit I didn't live up to that promise. However, this month I present

:Thmbsup:The houseforge recommendation for November 2007! :Thmbsup:

It's all about the internets these days, so this time I ask you to take a look at pidgin:

pidgin.png Short

Name:
Pidgin IM
Purpose:
Multi-platform, multi-protocol instant messenger
URL:
http://pidgin.im/

pidgin.png Longer

Pidgin IM runs on
Windows, Linux, BSD, and other Unixes.

It claims to support these IM protocols (copied from their homepage, (comments) added):

• AIM
  • Bonjour
  • Gadu-Gadu
  • Google Talk
  • Groupwise
  • IRC (ok, not really IM but oh well, it's used for chatting)
  • MSN
  • MySpaceIM
  • QQ
  • SILC
  • SIMPLE
  • Sametime
  • XMPP (a.k.a. jabber)
  • Yahoo!
  • Zephyr

This is a mighty long list!  :o

And now for a long list of screenshots (taken from: softpedia, snapfiles, softonic, and naturally, pidgin.im; and from friends), this list is in no particular order:

blist.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: PidginPidgin3.gifhouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
contact_window.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: PidginPidgin_1.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
Pidgin.gifhouseforge recommendation November 2007: PidginPidgin_2.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
Pidgin2.gifhouseforge recommendation November 2007: PidginPidgin_3.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
Pidgin2b.gifhouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgintabs2.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
finch.pnghouseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin

pidgin.png The End

Pidgin supports so many protocols, works on several platforms, has a cute mascot (similar to our cody), and their irc support channel was responsive. If you are looking an all-in-one solution to your platform-agnostic IM needs, I am positive Pidgin IM is for you!  :up: :up:

Once I get GnuPG into pidgin I will use it for almost all (nothing can beat xchat for irc yet) my chatty purposes, and it is looking good because there already is an encryption plugin for pidgin.

pidgin.png pidgin.png pidgin.png pidgin.png
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:04 PM by housetier »

freznel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: houseforge recommendation November 2007
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:42 PM »
Thanks for this post housetier. I've been looking for somehing like this. Looking forward for more recommendations.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:09 AM »
And thank YOU for the kind reply  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:26 AM »
Thanks for another nice episode of HouseForge!
Hope to see many more  :up: :up:

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: houseforge recommendation November 2007: Pidgin
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:28 AM »
Thanks! Nice summary. Just in case anyone didn't know, Pidgin is the IM client formerly known as GAIM. They had to change their name to avoid legal tangles with AOL.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

s2h

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 02:45 PM »
What is the memory footprint like?  Any better than the GoogleTalk client?

Thanks

jandi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:51 PM »
I'm a big fan of Pidgin, which has some neat features, such as allowing you to group all the multiple ids of a single contact in a single entity.  I would like it much better if it had voice support (Jingle/SIP).  Its memory footprint is not bad, although the Google Talk client is a bit more lightweight in what I've seen so far.  If you want something with a tiny footprint, you can try Miranda.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Isn't google talk the same as jabber? Maybe they stuff in more data in the xml-messages...

I would guess that Pidgin is heavier than GT, but it also has more features for example an OTR plugin. I haven't ever used the official GT client though, so I don't anything about it (I don't even know where to download it).

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I use Pidgin daily. The odd thing is that I never thought to go looking for plugins. I have, until now, limited myself to the bundled plugins. Thanks for mentioning OTR. Any other plugins out there I should look into?

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 06:00 PM »
I would look for something that is compatible with/to blowfish, then you could have encrypted conversations on irc with users of FiSH or mircryption. Well this is just the same again: encryption :)

I think protecting your conversations is important. Even if you don't have something to hide, it doesn't mean you have everything to show.

You might need/want other plugins that "depend" on the kind of data you get: if there are lots of urls you might be interested in an url grabber thingie (maybe it's built-in) ... that sort of thing. Everytime you think "it would be cool if I could do this and that" look for a plugin that does this and that!

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Cnet also recommends Pidgin

But here at DC we started recommending free alternatives OVER A YEAR AGO! Just so you know ;)

The whole article might be worth reading, although the "opensource zealots" already know about their recommendations. But it is good to see others say "just because it doesn't cost a thing doesn't mean it ain't worth a thing" :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:10 AM by housetier »

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 09:52 AM »
/. has news about OTR too: Protecting IM From Big Brother.

I strongly recommend protecting all your communications, be it IM, or email. Just because you have nothing to hide, it doesn't mean you have to show everything. If you use pidgin, please install the otr-plugin and urge your friends and family to do same now.