topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: To wide-screen or not to wide-screen  (Read 81354 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: To wide-screen or not to wide-screen
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2007, 06:03 PM »
thanks zridling for the word of advice.. :) on another note, i've postponed the decision to buy a new monitor until after new year in anticipation of the *BIG* price drop..

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05 PM »
You and me both, Lanux (waiting for the New Year's sales)! Of course, I might be shooting myself in the foot if the Loonie takes a nosedive, but so be it...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2007, 04:21 AM »
I might be shooting myself in the foot if the Loonie takes a nosedive

Loonie, was thinking- what's that  :-\
till i remembered - it's the bird on the canadian dollar isnt it?
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Tomos, I think it was really just a dummy run for Cody ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2007, 12:44 PM »
Heh, heh - I intentionally didn't clarify what a Loonie is when I posted - well spotted Tomos!

Big_loonie.jpgTo wide-screen or not to wide-screen

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2007, 06:55 PM »
Heh, heh - I intentionally didn't clarify what a Loonie is when I posted - well spotted Tomos!
hehe.. cool name! i thought i was missing something..

Cecebee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2007, 08:08 AM »
Wide screen for sure!  Once you use one you will never go back to older models.

normeus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2007, 11:27 AM »
LG L1933TR     1280 x 1024  BEAUTIFUL SCREEN
it is a 19'' screen I've had it for 8 months. I dont do gaming but for programming it is the best. Text is sharp and bright.

It does not come with dvi cable.(or maybe It does I dont remember)
Sorry Im not good at reviews but for sure if I had the money I would have two of these and that would be my widescreen.

(really I dont have a single game to try this monitor with but movies look good!)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2007, 05:19 AM »
I recently got a really nice asus 20" widescreen and it is really a pleasure to use. There were 22" quite a bit cheaper but this monitor is just awesome - great screen, every possible connector in the universe (probably not but still...), nice space saving foot... they dont do this model in 22" or 24" yet but i hope they do

I dont think I would want too big a screen, first they get me dizzy in games but also the resolution seems to be the same as you go from 20 to 22 to 24!!! just bigger dots, it looks worse, so what's the point?

I dont understand why they can make 15" monitors with 1900x1620 (or is it 1920x1600? something like that) on laptops but you cannot get a 19" even with 1600x...

Although I have been starting to see more and more people and reviewers say this kind of thing, so thankfully it might happen.

I dont have space for 3 large monitors, but I could have space for several small ones and if the res is high it is a lot of information on screen...

dlagesse1992

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
  • someonestolemyname
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2007, 02:22 PM »
I think it is all in what you like and have tried/are used to. I have used both, and find that both have strong points. for a large monitor, i would probably go widescreen; I watch movies.

As for USB ports, etc... they seem unnecessary. Almost all computers have some ports in the front that are easy to access. Money for little benefit.

Just my 2 cents.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00 AM »
just a foot-note: i've finally bought the Samsung 931BW mentioned in the 1st post and i'd like to thank everyone for their input which helped me very much. i am still trying to get used to all that extra width which does look like a plus point. however the anticipated price-drop didn't materialize.

and also nudone had made a wide-screen cody-horizon wallpaper to go with it! :Thmbsup:

DSC00355-DC1.jpgTo wide-screen or not to wide-screen

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 01:00 PM »
well, I've finally gone widescreen (& flatscreen lol) - just yesterday so still adjusting

16:10 as opposed to 4:3 (which is 16:12 :-\)
It's amazing how much difference those two units make to the proportions of the screen. I miss the 4:3 format and would ideally like two 4:3's, I think, but space is limited. Maybe on a 24" (as opposed to 22") the screen wouldnt feel quite so compressed (top to bottom)

Got this one Dell 2209WA - 'only' 22 inch but has an e-IPS panel (as opposed to TN) so has great viewing angles and almost perfect sRGB colour out of the box. Have the option to return it within two weeks but suspect I'll be sticking with it :) 
(It's a great price here but not the best for gamers I think)

all else I can say at the moment is thank João for Gridmove ;)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16 PM »
well, I've finally gone widescreen (& flatscreen lol) - just yesterday so still adjusting
Congratulations on the change!
I know that uneasy feeling when switching from 4:3. One does grow accustomed to the change, however, and the extra real-estate is useful. For me it was important not to cede vertical resolution but to add horizontal resolution  -- I didn't want just a change of format.
When one of a pair of 4:3's failed here, and there was no replacement to be found (model no longer available), I changed to a pair of wide screens. Now I'd be reluctant to go back.

Let us know how you get on  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Congratulations on the change!
-cranioscopical (January 06, 2010, 01:16 PM)

thanks Chris  :D

I've have gotten more vertical resolution over my last monitor, it's just getting used to the proportion that makes the screen *feel* compressed.
So far I find it's great for drawing, working on photos, having two dualscreen filemanager windows open (!),
far too wide for to maximise a browser window though, but yeah it's growing on me all the time, and true - there's very few new 4:3 models being produced (if any)
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Yeah, pretty hard to find 4:3 monitors nowadays - the ones I've come around have been priced way too high, so I ended up with a 22" 1680x1050 when one of my 1280x1024 17" monitors died (and then one of my friends gave me his old almost-identical 22" monitor as a birthday present - wow I have plenty of screen estate now :-O).

I kinda still prefer non-widerscreen - but at least the space can be used for toolbars in my programming environments :)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I still don't really get widescreen. After all, 4:3 is still widescreen. It's just not as wide as widescreen. But most of the time I need more vertical space so I don't have to scroll up and down so much. But having dual monitors sure is great, so I suppose a big widescreen monitor with a large resolution and Windows 7's feature that makes apps fill half the screen (or jgpaiva's GridMove) would be essentially the same thing.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2010, 05:58 PM »
But having dual monitors sure is great, so I suppose a big widescreen monitor with a large resolution and Windows 7's feature that makes apps fill half the screen (or jgpaiva's GridMove) would be essentially the same thing.
Far from it! Win7 or GridMove/similarapps have some of the advantages, but doesn't go all the way... one pretty great thing about dual-monitor setups is being able to play a game on one monitor, and have other stuff (like instant messaging and mail) running on the other :)
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2010, 07:00 PM »

congrats on the change.. don't worry, after a while you won't miss your 4:3 that much.. :)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Damn widescreen domination! *shakes fist*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I don't really care about widescreen, but i think cranioscopical got it right -- as long as you don't give up vertical resolution, it's fine.  so for me i have 1600x1200 monitors which are non-widescreen, and then i have one 1920x1200 monitor which is widescreeen.