topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Postcards from DC members  (Read 13271 times)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Postcards from DC members
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Just wondering how feasible it would be to have a 'show us your city/town' area where DC members can send in postcards that shows what makes their little neck of the woods unique.  These postcards can then be scanned into to a single location where people can view them through DC.

Kind of like PostSecret but without the secret:
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

Just a thought for something to do during mousers hiatus.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Postcards from DC members
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Good idea.

How about specifying a format so that images could be uploaded somewhere?  Too much bandwidth use?

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:34 PM »
I mean real postcards that would be sent to a snail mail address.

I did this with making some of my software postcardware.  Very interesting some of the postcards I received.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 06:44 PM »
A different take on your idea. How about photos showing us how is the city where DCers live? I mean, like some of the photos that some members posted in the introduction thread. I'm throwing up this idea, because postcards always miss the most beautiful parts in every area, as they opt for the usual 'famous' place (this is something I notice while I walk around my town). I suppose someone can set up a Flickr account with public photos. Or a DC group in Flickr.

The ideal would be a mix of the two :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:48 PM by Lashiec »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Great idea, Veign. I think, though, that you might want to reconsider the snail mail route - there are 91,000 members - if only 1% of us send a postcard in you'll be scanning them for a long, long time - even if you do them in batches of four! Better, I think, to let each of us scan a postcard and e-mail it, no?

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 07:07 PM »
There is something about a postcard with the postal marks and stamps from various countries that makes it something hard to replicate through an image file. 

I saw it as something mouser could have from its members as a tangible item from its members from around the world.  Something that could be made into a very colorful mosaic image or whatever.

I thought of it as I was flipping through the many postcards I received from users of my software.

Maybe instead of scanning a high quality image could be taken of the postcard laid out on the floor - one large mosaic...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:13 PM »
Ah... hadn't picked up on this being a campaign to send Mouser a postcard. Completely agree with you about being able to pick up and trace the postmark and stamp on a postcard. Also, reading handwritten comments has an immediacy about it that is lacking in an e-mail with a jpg or png attachment.

I like the mosaic idea!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:40 PM »
Also, reading handwritten comments has an immediacy about it that is lacking in an e-mail with a jpg or png attachment.
Spoiler
agree.jpg

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 08:35 PM »
I'll do it.

Assuming they let me mail anything from in here.  Pens, pencils, and other pokey objects are strictly prohibited...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 08:35 PM »
in the days before internet, i remember sending postcards to quite a few shareware authors who made their programs postcard-wares.. but nowadays since i tend to capture interesting landmarks and landscape around the area where i work digitally, maybe i'll just print them & write the address on the reverse-side and try posting them. would it work? :)

Titiwangsa Lake Garden, Kuala Lumpur
ttwangsa.jpgPostcards from DC members

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 09:57 PM »
maybe i'll just print them & write the address on the reverse-side and try posting them. would it work? :)
Works for me. When I do that I use premium photo stock for the image and add a piece of medium-weight self-adhesive sheet for the address/message side.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 11:34 PM »
i just checked with the post authority and i can't do that because of the different dimensions.. :( maybe a img2postcard utility could fix that..:)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 02:54 AM »
i just checked with the post authority and i can't do that because of the different dimensions.. :( maybe a img2postcard utility could fix that..:)
if you crop your image  :-\ ??
here you're allowed to range between 2 different sets of dimensions

I like the make your own postcard image [or customise one] idea!!
photo(s), collage, photocopy, photoshop whatever
makes it more personal on the front as well as on the back :)
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 06:40 AM »
You could used to buy sticky labels printed like the backs of postcards from photography suppliers.  You stuck your photo on the front and got an instant postcard.  Haven't seen them for a while, though, probably overtaken by e-mail attachments  :(

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 07:13 AM »
in the days before internet, i remember sending postcards to quite a few shareware authors who made their programs postcard-wares.. but nowadays since i tend to capture interesting landmarks and landscape around the area where i work digitally, maybe i'll just print them & write the address on the reverse-side and try posting them. would it work? :)

Titiwangsa Lake Garden, Kuala Lumpur (see attachment in previous post)

Nice piccy!

Here are a few on a similar theme I took in Mississagi Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada in 2005:

IMG_0005 [640x480].JPGPostcards from DC members

IMG_0010 [640x480].JPGPostcards from DC members

IMG_0045 [640x480].JPGPostcards from DC members

And here was my favourite photo of the trip (take at Pancake Bay on Lake Superior):

IMG_0053 [640x480].JPGPostcards from DC members

By the way back on topic there is the thread I started called Let's Get to Know Each Other which has lots of photos - and was my original idea for the thread (unfortunately the first few posts seem to have been lost from the thread but it is still going strong - though people don't seem to post as many photos of their location these days).

Don't know about other countries but in the UK you can buy blank postcards with the usual arrangement on the back for message, address, stamp etc. which you should be able to print directly onto.

One example is Avery. They aren't the cheapest but they do produce edge-to-edge compatible inkjet printable postcards.

This google search brought up a lot of potential products
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:29 AM by Carol Haynes »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 12:35 PM »
Since my photos are nothing like as stunning as yours, I just crop whatever I want to postcard size and print that. Then I print the message/address side, align the two and it's done. I find this a good way to stay in touch with people (mainly relatives) who aren't into email. Carol's reference to Avery pre-cut stock is worth noting too.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 07:56 PM »
wow! those pics of lotus ponds are even more stunning.. :) i can't help wondering about how clean the area is.. now, compare that to mine, there is at least three foreign items (read: garbage) in the pond.. i also have been googling but there is not much resources. anyway found this link..

ws-postcard-site-1.png
3 Easy Ways to Make Postcards from Your Photos (And Brighten Someone’s Day)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Since my photos are nothing like as stunning as yours, I just crop whatever I want to postcard size and print that. Then I print the message/address side, align the two and it's done. I find this a good way to stay in touch with people (mainly relatives) who aren't into email. Carol's reference to Avery pre-cut stock is worth noting too.
-cranioscopical (October 29, 2007, 12:35 PM)

hehe, you are being modest.. it looks like i have to do the same too even though it is a dare to send the pic as a postcard.. btw, i need some info on the "align the two" part. do you print on two sets of paper & stick them together?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 08:32 PM »
i need some info on the "align the two" part. do you print on two sets of paper & stick them together?
Yes, I made a quick and dirty template with crop marks, sized according to the local mail's 'postcard rules'. It's all very low tech.  :)

The photo goes on heavy, glossy stock and the reverse goes on a self-adhesive sheet.
This gives a good printing surface for the front (image) side and adds a little more body when the reverse is applied.
It also lets me put whatever marks I need on the address side (e.g. "AIR MAIL").
Normally I print the address and usually, given the deplorable state of my handwriting, the  message as well.

I'm working on printing the stamps, too  ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02 PM »
thanks for the info, cranioscopical.. i'll start with the print dimension template & see how things turn out.. :up:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 05:25 AM »
How about printing the two on the same sheet so that you only need to do one cutout and fold it? You will need to print the photo upside down though.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 01:14 PM »
How about printing the two on the same sheet so that you only need to do one cutout and fold it? You will need to print the photo upside down though.
Certainly could do that.
For myself, I find it less trouble to use a self-adhesive sheet for the address side, saves messing around with a separate adhesive.