topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Archivarius  (Read 69397 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Archivarius
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Thanks superboyac. I'm getting off my lazy rear and downloading archivarius and will give it a try.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Would anybody happen to know a free desktop search that can handle Zinio Reader files? (and maybe .djvu and .lit files too?)

I have about 3 gigs worth of Zinio files, so that would be a fantastic feature to have.  I would like to try a free application first, if possible.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Notice that it was estimated size, I didn't let it index yet. 300gig code would be ludicruous, source code isn't extremely big. Dunno how much source I do have lying around, locate32 is acting up a bit on my attempt to find out :).

I guess one of the big sinners is the massive amount of .chm and .pdf ebooks I have lying around.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I downloaded and installed it and let it index a bunch of folders (not my whole My Documents folder, mind you...) and my Outlook pst files. The intial estimated index size for indexing everything was 14 GB! However, paring things down (I run exifPro so removed my 15GB My Pictures folder, for example) got the estimated index size down to 2.8GB. However, the final index size was 398MB, which is about the same size as the Copernic Index. I'll say this: WOW! It's fast - X1 and Copernic drove me crazy in that both of them took a while to display previews of found files (in some cases a LONG while). Archivarius seems to be very light on resources, too. For instance, Outlook was being idiotic about warning me about a program trying to access it and putting the breaks on indexing. Eventually, after I managed to miss one such dialog Archivarius reported an error and stopped indexing at 81%. I'm completing my base index and it's using almost no (0-2%) CPU, 11MB of RAM and 45MB of VM/Private bytes. This contrasts with X1/Copernic which were good for much, much more resource hogging... I'm going to play with this for a few days but I think it's a keeper (and I qualify for an academic licence - yippee!).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:38 PM by Darwin »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 11:42 PM »
Glad you like it Darwin.  It just feels like a good program, doesn't it?  The more I use it, the nicer it actually gets.  If I ever need an indexer, this is definitely the one I'll get...at least for now.  It's still amazing how little coverage this app has on the internet.  There's nothing!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Hmm... am I the only one that can't get archivarius to complete indexing my Outlook 2003 pst? I'm now trying a "standalone" index of just my e-mail, but prior to this effort, I've tried at least four times, each for over two hours (last over night - cancelled it at 15.5 hours!) of indexing only to either give up in despair or to be told that archivarius can't access my Outlook messages. It's running now and indexing at 3KB sec! I can't remember exact figures, but I am convinced that indexing my harddrive was much, much quicker than this. I've set archivarius to index only pop3 folders and to ignore my IMAP folders (because I know that my account won't allow access from different servers).

It's just sitting there at 1% after indexing for 25+ minutes (was at 0% for a long time...) and indexing speed has dropped to 1 KBS. Outlook is NOT open (although its process is running in the background, initiated by archivarius).

I'm just curious about how others fare with this... obviously the place to go with this is the developer, which I shall do now.

EDIT: the split infinitive was killing me. I know, I know OED and CED both say it's OK now but I'm a product of the 20th century...

Incidentally, now sitting at 14% of my e-mail indexed after 5 hours 49 minutes...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:34 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Heh, heh... 20 and a half hours later the indexing is 57% complete! I've finally gotten an e-mail off to Archivarius' author and anxiously await his response. Hopefully, there is a solution as I had a chance to play around after an abortive indexing attempt and was thrilled at how light on resources archivarius is and how blazingly fast searches are performed and previews displayed (INSTANT - take that X1 and Copernic!)...

Oh, er, Goodmorning Donatincoder! Spring is here, final exams are marked and final grades posted, taxes are done, and I am the only one up. It doesn't get much better than this!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Wow! I e-mailed Archivarius' author LATE Friday night/early Saturday morning PST and had an exchange of e-mails with him that culminated with him sending me a fix for the error message that I was receiving earlier today! That kind of support is PRICELESS. Colour me very, very impressed...  :-*
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:08 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19 PM »
Archivarius 3.91 adds support for OneNote and Evernote files  :Thmbsup:

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 05:54 PM »
That’s excellent news Darwin, i have it downloading now, my evernote database is growing rapidly and Archivarius with locate is providing all my search needs at present and this will just make it soo much more useful

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Hey Grorgy - if you can get Archivarius to work with your Evernote database (edb files) would you mind posting back? I can't get it to work on mine... I'm just going to try making a dedicated archivarius database to index my evernote database (?!) and see if that works... UPDATE: NOPE!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Wellll, its indexing and finding on the enb files (which i think are the backups) but i just added a Test Note and it found it no worries

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Donner and Blitzen! Not good... Right, back to the drawing board. Thanks for reporting back, Grorgy!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Hmm... I didn't have the backup folder selected for archiving - it's being done now. I suspect that only the xml backup files are being indexed (I've confirmed that edb files are set to be indexed) and will confirm after it's done. I think I'll have to approach the developer about this one...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53 PM »
OK - it indexed both the xml and the edb files in backups no problem... So, I shutdown Evernote (which had been running in the tray) and reindexed - all is well. My database has been indexed and is completely searchable. Users might ask why bother when Evernote's own searching and tagging are so advanced? Well... I can now search my notes going back years without having to open Evernote (and I don't let it open with Windows)  :-*. So there.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 07:03 PM »
it also saves the time of heading off to evernote to see if there is anything you want in there, of course it does mean i will have to learn to spell foucault or whatever his name is lol

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 07:06 PM »
as far as what it indexes, i just tell it where and all file types so hopefully i wont miss anything

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Yes - this is what I do as well. I have it scheduled to index every hour, so this business of not indexing files in use is something to keep in mind (for me, anyway)!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Ok... just lost my post.  :huh: Anyway...

So...I just updated Archivarius and updated my indexes. Yiiippppie! Not only did it index my enb files, but it now indexes comments (or "notes") in pdf files! This is great. X1 can't do that. (I still prefer X1 for all it's features, but it's good to know archivarius won't miss one bit of data.  :) )

Now, I just wish they'll implement a feature to save specific searches. I might send them a note.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 11:43 PM »
Armando - I you wouldn't mine, pester him about Outlook files as well. Under the current method used for indexing it takes hours for each and every indexing run. I wound up installing software that saves my e-mails as txt files and index that way (but I'd rather just index everything in my pst file instead - calendar and journal items, etc.)... Of course, this assumes that you care about this problem!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Armando - I you wouldn't mine, pester him about Outlook files as well. Under the current method used for indexing it takes hours for each and every indexing run. I wound up installing software that saves my e-mails as txt files and index that way (but I'd rather just index everything in my pst file instead - calendar and journal items, etc.)... Of course, this assumes that you care about this problem!

Yes... I forgot about that. Yes yes, you're right. I do care and I will bother him!  ;)
It's  a bit late now. But, tomorrow for sure!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 11:51 PM »
Cool - thanks! Late - yeah, it's almost 1 am in La Belle Province! Get some sleep!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 11:55 PM »
I will!  ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2007, 11:57 PM »
Darwin : Job done!
Let's see what happens now...  :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2007, 12:28 AM »
Great Armando! I know that this is already on his to-do list, maybe your note will help promote it up the list! Your saved searches request is a great one as well, and shouldn't be too difficult to implement given that there is a history of searches available already.