topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: tray icons, help!!  (Read 6140 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
tray icons, help!!
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:23 PM »
XP is intent on confounding me here...

I really like the tray icon function that lets me hide unused icons in the tray, however I can't get the settings to stick!!

I have 3 or 4 apps that I want to show (only!!) but I daily have to reset these.  Works fine for the day, but next day when I log in again I have to redo it...

I've googled but not come up with anything that even sounds close

anyone got any ideas????

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: tray icons, help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:54 PM »
I went through the same aggravation for about two year before I gave up and bought PS Tray Factory. Problem solved! Of course it's shareware... I took advantage of a DC discount and have been very, very happy ever since, despite having had to be convinced to join the party! See Josh's mini-review here.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Ahhh, at least it's not just me (no one else I know has this problem...)

not sure if I want to get another tray manager to 'fix' it though - I already use a AHK tray menu script, and an excellent AHK traymin script (it's unsigned, so I can't give credit - I think I may have gotten it from the forum) which cover off 2/3 of the functionality offered by most tray managers.  basically I only need to see those 2 icons, plus a couple of miscellaneous ones (browser, total commander).

I'm surprised this doesn't rate a mention somewhere, then again, maybe it does, but I just can't find it....

It doesn't even appear to be a windows annoyance (and it sure is!!)

Target

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Why not post this as a coding snack? Maybe Skrommel can work his magic in AHK and produce something that will do what you need? Of course, I'm just an ideas man... No idea if this is possible in AHK or not...

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:04 PM »
good idea - i had thought about it, but wasn't sure whether anyone else had ever suffered under this 'feature'...

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:50 PM »
You are most definitely not alone !! That's been bugging me for years. I'll be following with interest to see if one of you smart chaps can come up with a solution.   :tellme:
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:44 PM »
an answer, of sorts...

I posted this on AUMHA <see here - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=29965> and it seems that this is caused by 'unruly' apps. 

In my case the culprit is most likely my AHK scripts (I'm still investigating), YMMV...

Target

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:01 PM »
The only tray icon I have to set to hide each time I boot up my computer is the stupid "Your LAN is unplugged!" It doesn't matter that I tell it not to tell me when there's no connection, it always shows.

So, since I don't use my LAN, I just disabled my network card. Problem solved... kinda.