topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Versioning of files  (Read 50245 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Versioning of files
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 02:16 AM »
A lot of people gripe about VSS, and afaik it isn't even used internally at Microsoft (at least not for the larger parts like the kernel - they have something else for that). I've heard more than one tale about database corruption etc.

In my experience, subversion adds very little overhead in single-developer projects - the initial repository-creation doesn't take long, and after that it's basically just committing your files (in one go) and writing a changelog when you've made enough changes; this is something you should be doing anyway :)

Oh, and you don't need to set up a subversion server, it can operate directly with file:// URLs; I'd still set up svnserve even for single-developer use on a single machine, though, and set up DNS entries - that makes it easier to move the repository to a server later on.
- carpe noctem

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2007, 05:08 AM »
I'd still set up svnserve even for single-developer use on a single machine, though, and set up DNS entries - that makes it easier to move the repository to a server later on.

I'm not sure how it would make it any easier (or harder) to move. There is no difference in how you move a repository. svandmin dump/load

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2007, 06:29 AM »
SVN does seem to be the tool of choice but I've cursorily tried the Tortoise SVN + Visual SVN combo and then VSS and as far as intuitiveness is concerned VSS wins. There are developers who have used it for years without a problem. I don't know if it was Visual SVN mucking up but I had some real issues going back and forth old/new versions in my test runs. VSS did exactly what I wanted/expected it to. It has the rather annoying quirk about discarding all changes if I rollback but there are a couple of workarounds for that. These are just my first impressions which are very possibly faulty. 

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2007, 05:33 PM »
This seemed like a cool SVN version of Leopards Time Machine metaphor (sans glitzy graphics!):

http://lifehacker.co...lapseview-312965.php
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2007, 06:40 PM »
I'd still set up svnserve even for single-developer use on a single machine, though, and set up DNS entries - that makes it easier to move the repository to a server later on.

I'm not sure how it would make it any easier (or harder) to move. There is no difference in how you move a repository. svandmin dump/load

Simple - after you move the repository (which can either involve dump+load or moving the physical files), you simply update the DNS entry... if you hadn't done this, you'd need to change the repository URL for each of your projects.

nosh: by Visual SVN, do you mean Ankh? Friend of mine has had bad problems with it, and I've had some minor glitches myself - plus it slows down VS startup time humongously.

- carpe noctem

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Simple - after you move the repository (which can either involve dump+load or moving the physical files), you simply update the DNS entry... if you hadn't done this, you'd need to change the repository URL for each of your projects.

OK, now I understand.

nosh: by Visual SVN, do you mean Ankh?

My assumption was that this is what nosh was talking about.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2007, 05:03 AM »
Oh, didn't know there was a commercial product... at a glance it doesn't seem to offer stuff Ankh doesn't - I wonder if it might even be a blatant rip-off :)
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21 PM »
I use KeepSafe by Stardock.  It's out of the way until you need it, and doesn't require check-ins/outs.

http://www.stardock....m/products/keepsafe/

For actual development projects, I use QVCS or StarTeam.

http://www.qumasoft.com/index1.html <- QVCS

I don't think the license I have for StarTeam is still available; they used to have a personal license that was free for X users (X being 1 or 5; I can't remember).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:24 PM by wraith808 »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2007, 06:49 AM »
Wraith, in case you have used subversion or other free solutions, can you tell us what makes it better? :)

It seems to get the stuff subversion supports, you'd need the enterprise edition, which pops in at $49/user. svn is free, and has both commandline, IDE integration, internet (as well as local) support, etc.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:51 AM by f0dder »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2007, 11:21 AM »
nosh: by Visual SVN, do you mean Ankh? Friend of mine has had bad problems with it, and I've had some minor glitches myself - plus it slows down VS startup time humongously.

What Tinjaw said.
Ankh was next on my list to try but after I gave VSS a shot I really didn't feel like bothering. Glad I didn't. :)