topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Requesting new organization ideas for fresh windows installation  (Read 26451 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
So I plan on reinstalling windows this weekend, and I was wanting to find a new method of organizing my computer.

Currently~
I install everything in the default location.
I stick all my files on the desktop, my documents, or shared documents.
For my icons, I was putting them into organized folders in the start menu (games in a folder labeled games, tools in a folder labeled tools, etc), but then I got lazy, and just left them on the desktop, and never moved them.

what I plan to do~
I was thinking of putting everything into organized folders:
I would put all games in C:/games, all tools in C:/tools, etc.
not sure what to do about my icons.

I was hoping someone could give me some really cool ways to organize my new installation when I re-install windows this weekend.
If you know of any freeware organization programs, I would like that, the only way I would want shareware programs, is if the program was very good.
I was kind of thinking of putting Pstart on my computer, when I first install windows, and put a shortcut to all my programs in that as soon as I install them, but I would probably end up getting lazy, and stop doing that, just like with my icons.
Any help would be very appreciated, please and thank you. :Thmbsup:
[Insert really cool signature here]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:08 AM by nite_monkey »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Requesting new organization ideas for fresh windows installation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:52 AM »
Definitely read this thread on how people organize their "My Documents" folder(s):
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9647.0

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:06 AM »
After a fresh install of XP,
I was a bit shocked how much *junk* MS had installed into the Program Files folder - it would have been really nice of them to simply have put all MS stuff in a microsoft folder...
I was tempted to install other programmes elsewhere but didnt bother in the end

I leave some icons on the desktop but mostly throw them into a shortcuts folder which FARR reads
So, I guess I'm probably not much help in terms of organising stuff  :P

And the start menu, well you might just inspire me to organise that !
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:27 AM »
i'm hoping to reinstall xp soon - when i have the courage to face the length of time it will take to get everything 'just right'. i'm jotting down a few things on how i'll try and set everything up so that i don't forget when the time comes.

main concern is to provide easy backup/synchronisation and manageability of working files/folders. so without stating too much of the obvious (hopefully)...

1. keep program database and configuration files in one place so backup is easy - if an application doesn't really provide the option to save config files in a user specified location then ensure to point your backup software to the config location and make a note of it. i say to try and save all your config stuff in one place simply so that you know you've done it but if you are keeping a note of things then the single location idea is just a convenience.

as an example:
i use dialogmove, the settings remain in the folder i've installed dialogmove to - so i backup the entire dialogmove folder as it's simple to do. maxthon allows you to save 'groups' of links which i want to backup along with all my other maxthon settings - so i backup the entire maxthon folder (just to be sure i don't miss something). on the other hand, i have my 'Surfulator' knowledge bases saved in a folder with other program database information such as my ACDSee database. all the databases get backed up in one go and i know where they all are.

2. colour code folders to indicate their 'status'. i might need to copy loads of stuff to disk - i might not want to do it immediately and so after a while i'll forget what i've copied and what i haven't, i'll forget who i've copied it for and whether i've copied it myself. maybe i'll not have made up my mind on what to do with a set of files so i'll just leave them where they are and colour code the folder so that i'm instantly reminded of its 'status' when i see it - the same applies to the copying or not copying of things - colour marking the folder lets me know instantly whether it's safe to delete as i've done everything i need to do with it and, more importantly, i know if it's already saved to disk. colour code also indicates whether it's a 'video' or an 'audio' or a 'whatever' folder.

3. make a note of what you've got installed in your operating system backups. it's a good idea to make a backup of your system after a clean install and before you've tampered with it in any way. this way you can 'reinstall' windows in about 2-3 minutes if you find that you run into trouble when setting up your hardware/drivers (maybe that isn't so much of a problem nowadays?). after you've got your system set with the drivers and maybe a few basic small applications installed then do another backup - this will be your 'personal' first zero time backup to resort to if you decide to start from scratch again. keep these two initial backups safe and after that you can do your typical backup jobs - but it will be helpful to make a note of what software you've installed that each backup contains.

4. if you've got a particularly deranged machine as mine then you'll find it useful to keep a note of what you did when setting the machine and software up. you'll then, hopefully, be able to determine where any conflicts are coming from and how to reverse or appease them.

i'm sure there are more 'sensible' things to do - that's what comes to mind immediately.

jpcjpc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Don't bother reorganising Program Files. Life's too short. Except for those programs that install themselves in their own folders on the root (OS excepted). Reorganise those using the uninstall option. They were obviously written by idiots  ;)

Have a folder on a different drive called StuffIveInstalled. Put your installer files in there. Rename them from grjdlstp.exe or whatever to the program name, and put the version number in the name too. If you got (say) an emailed registration code, save the email as an .eml and rar the whole lot up together (plus any saved configs, that kind of thing). You can also put info in properties, summary, simple view, comments to guide you on settings if you need to reinstall.

I also have a folder called YeOldeInstallers just in case an upgraded version sucks and I want to rewind  - TMPGenc DVD Author - that means you  :D

And I've another called TomorrowNeverComes for freeware stuff that I download but never get around to trying out - though getting into that one is an achievement; most don't even make it out of Downloads  :-[

From there on it depends on what you actually do with your PC - I have mine project based, with personal stuff completely separate, though I can never really get to grips with personalish work stuff, no matter how many shortcuts I drop into folders.

Whatever you do - make it easy to keep going. Or it wont. And yes, its do as I say, not as I do  :(

Oh, and take regular Ghost snapshots - easily worth the money, though if there was something just as good without those damn services muscling into autostart I'd dump it in a minute  :-\

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:47 PM »
I will have to I guess see what I end up doing with this information in mind, if anyone has any other ideas, let me know before Friday or Saturday.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for the thread, nite-monkey. I've just been rationalizing taking the plunge and doing a clean install myself. If nothing else it will clear up some minor (but big to me!) problems that I've been having. We've been kind of spoiled with XP in that I've not done a complete format and fresh install of XP in literally years whereas I used to have to do one regularly (every 6 months or so in 9x). Might as well bite the bullet and do it and this thread has given me some ideas  :)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:21 PM »
yeah, I don't reinstall xp much either, only when my system gets to cluttered, and I can't find much, because of all the stuff I am to lazy to remove. Plus fresh installs just run a whole lot smoother.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32 PM »
Plus fresh installs just run a whole lot smoother.

That's what I'm hoping for! Next Wednesday afternoon seems about right... My wife is off to Korea for 16 days, leaving me to bond with my offspring <gulp!> - I'll sit and mindlessly shuffle discs in and out of my computer and watch the little cherubs run amok.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:10 AM »
I will have to I guess see what I end up doing with this information in mind, if anyone has any other ideas, let me know before Friday or Saturday.

Having partitioned my hard drive, I tend to install most things on my D: drive.

On my C: drive, I usually have folders for Downloads, .exe's with key codes, one for the stuff I always put on my computer after a clean install, and one for drivers.
I also have a folder called Backup, so that random things I want to back up have a place to go.

I have folders for text files and image files, and those have subcategories.

Like nudone says, I try to get things to install in as easy a place to access as possible.

I don't have a lot of stuff in My Documents - the backups for Roboform, Evernote, and Firefox extension and back up all go there.
It tends to be a holding pen for stuff I'm not sure what to do with but eventually file or toss.

I use Installpad to download the newest versions of programs I use, like Firefox, ccleaner, zip and defrag utilities, Foxit etc.
You can get it here, its freeware:
http://www.installpad.com/

You mention your icons - I have mine in the Quick Launch bar and launch programs by clicking on the icons.

There is a informative thread on this topic at Lifehacker (from some time ago. I thought the best ideas were in the comments under the article.
http://lifehacker.co...us-piling-238339.php

You can put a shortcut to your folders on your Quick Launch Bar, and I believe on the Start Menu as well.

If you want to color code your folders, I'm particularly fond of iColorFolder, its freeware as well.
http://icolorfolder....colorfolder_page.htm

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:11 PM »
I think I may end up using the quick launch a lot more, before I was putting folders in the start menu, and organizing my stuff that way, with the quick launch, I can just drag the stuff in it, and get to it better.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 04:51 PM »
I just reinstalled windows, and replaced my wpa.dbl file, but it didn't do anything. >:( I still have to activate windows, but I can't, because I have already activated it to many times, and I can't talk to the Microsoft tech support, because I can't understand what the Japanese person is saying.

edit: ...ok, I don't know what I did, but now it let me activate windows, so now I think I have it working... I wish I knew what I did to get it to work so that I can do it again next time I re-install windows
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:40 PM by nite_monkey »

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 10:32 AM »
I just did this last week, and I'm trying a system of partitions that I hope will help to minimize future problems.  Of course, with three parts on the same drive, if the drive goes I'm screwed....

First Part is ~50gb.  This is where I install windows and programs and nothing else!
Second Part ~100gb. This is where Data that *I* create goes.  docs, sheets images etc. etc. in a custom My Documents folder.

Third Part ~100gb.  This is mass storage.  Downloads, music archive, like it says bulk storage stuff or stuff that will get served to the media player, junk waiting to be burned.

The first partition could conceivably be smaller or larger, depending on how much crap you install.  I tend to install a lot of stuff, but then rip out most of it afterwards as programs are big on promise and mostly short on delivery.  In my case, this could probably be smaller, even though I have some big pigs installed.  Smaller means the image you take for backup is a manageable size. It's also good to segregate windows from anything valuable like data, so that when it finally implodes it doesn't take anything of actual value with it.

The second and third partitions are highly variable and I expect to alter the sizes of these two partitions as time goes on.  As the most valuable thing on the hard drive, I want to segregate my data from the OS, and also from the parition in which I hold downloads or junk ready to be burned. It also leaves partition sizes that are easierto backup via imaging.

If you have a Big Assed Music Collection (tm) you will probably want that on a completely different drive rather than just a different partition. I am working on getting it off the main machine altogether and onto a dedicated box.  In the menatime, a partition works for me.

Last thing, I want to go back to the custom Documents folder.  I *always* move this to a short name folder somewhere, because the length of the path to the doc folder inside your windows profile is stupidly long - you'd be surprised how many zip programs will choke on the length of this dog pathname, and as many backup programs use zip, I see alot of failure in that areas as well.  To boot, a lot of the failures occur when you attempt to restore rather there when attempting to do a backup, so be aware.

For me the folder is MyDocs and is in the root of the document partition.

Good luck in wrangling your Windows. Lord knows anyone of us could do a better job than the way the thing comes packaged ;)

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

PlayPhil

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 05:59 PM »
A rather neat trick (I think) with the Quick Launch toolbar is to create a Folder, say ...\Quick Launch\Admin and drag it to the left of the QL menu area. You can also create Sub Folders under this Folder. I call mine "Admin" so it's alpha-first but it and the the sub-dirs can be any name.

One caveat, if at some time you selected "Sort By Name" for the Quick Launch menu you are stuck with an alpha-numeric name to keep the Folder visible at the left, whether "Admin," 0Cool (zeroCool) or some such.

Hold down the CTRL key and Left-Mouse-Click to expand the "Admin" Folder as a menu rather than opening it as a Folder. Works great, very fast. The "Admin" folder can contain as many Folders and Menu Items as you like.

I pretty much keep this to regularly used programs, specifically not as a substitute for the Start Menu system. The same programs (or Links) exist in my Start Menu. In fact, the shortcuts are copied from the Start Menu structure...
Phil
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:03 PM by PlayPhil »

1101doc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 10:12 PM »
If you're thinking of a better way to organize the desktop (Quick Launch and all), take a look at this: http://www.5starsupp...x.php?showtopic=7857

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 04:22 AM »
Hi all,
I know it's too late as reinstalling windows this weekend sets a time frame that has expired. I just followed the link on the newsletter from Oct 15 2007, right after registering which encouraged me to post. So my first trial at participating is this:

I have partitioned my HDD since many years this way:
  - Drive C:  primary partition, contains files required to boot OS (I can choose between different versions)
  - Drive D:  first logical partition, contains folders TOOLS, Tools32, TotalCMD. It is formatted as FAT16, and can be accessed by all installed OS's as D:. The TOOLS folder contains DOS-Tools, and the Tools32 folder contains portable stuff. So I can use them when booting from floppy, LS120, CDROM or USB stick.
  - Drive E:  Windows partition. I have several to choose from. Win98, Win2k, WinXP all think they are alone, because only one is visible.
  - Drive F:  stuff that is worth backing up, but not on previous drives. Folders are Setup, Projects, Documentation
  - Drive G:  everything else, mainly Backup, ISO Images, Games

I know this is not really a new idea for organizing a Windows installation, or a new idea at all, but may be interesting to some. By the way I have batch files that take care of which of my primary partitions gets control, and which of my Windows partitions is visible.

I offer my apologies to the readers in advance if I am off topic, but I am still practicing.

Wolf
Schön wär's, wenn's schön wär!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:24 AM by wolf.b »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 05:16 AM »
Welcome to the site , Wolf, and thanks for contributing  :Thmbsup:

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 05:45 AM »
Don't bother reorganising Program Files. Life's too short. Except for those programs that install themselves in their own folders on the root (OS excepted). Reorganise those using the uninstall option. They were obviously written by idiots  ;)

Have a folder on a different drive called StuffIveInstalled. Put your installer files in there. Rename them from grjdlstp.exe or whatever to the program name, and put the version number in the name too. If you got (say) an emailed registration code, save the email as an .eml and rar the whole lot up together (plus any saved configs, that kind of thing). You can also put info in properties, summary, simple view, comments to guide you on settings if you need to reinstall.

I also have a folder called YeOldeInstallers just in case an upgraded version sucks and I want to rewind  - TMPGenc DVD Author - that means you  :D

And I've another called TomorrowNeverComes for freeware stuff that I download but never get around to trying out - though getting into that one is an achievement; most don't even make it out of Downloads  :-[

From there on it depends on what you actually do with your PC - I have mine project based, with personal stuff completely separate, though I can never really get to grips with personalish work stuff, no matter how many shortcuts I drop into folders.

Whatever you do - make it easy to keep going. Or it wont. And yes, its do as I say, not as I do  :(

Oh, and take regular Ghost snapshots - easily worth the money, though if there was something just as good without those damn services muscling into autostart I'd dump it in a minute  :-\

Is it ok to rename install files - will they still 'work'?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 07:28 AM »
I have partitioned my HDD since many years this way:
  - Drive C:  primary partition, contains files required to boot OS (I can choose between different versions)
  - Drive D:  first logical partition, contains folders TOOLS, Tools32, TotalCMD. It is formatted as FAT16, and can be accessed by all installed OS's as D:. The TOOLS folder contains DOS-Tools, and the Tools32 folder contains portable stuff. So I can use them when booting from floppy, LS120, CDROM or USB stick.
  - Drive E:  Windows partition. I have several to choose from. Win98, Win2k, WinXP all think they are alone, because only one is visible.
  - Drive F:  stuff that is worth backing up, but not on previous drives. Folders are Setup, Projects, Documentation
  - Drive G:  everything else, mainly Backup, ISO Images, Games

hi Wolf -
wilkommen  :)

I has a few queries..

C is tiny then i presume..

D you say is "TOOLS, Tools32, TotalCMD" (that Total Commander?) -
where do you put other programmes - presumably they go in with the Windows install ?

E - Is that Primary too?
I was considering putting XP not on C lately but was dissuaded - have you ever had trouble with the different path?
Apparently there can be trouble restoring Ghost images to non C drives - dont know is this a problem with other imaging software

& something that keeps cropping up in various threads - what do you do with paging file(s) ?
Tom

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Is it ok to rename install files - will they still 'work'?

Yes *

* There is a very very very very very very tiny chance the developer is crazy and wrote special code into the installer to check the name of the installer. But stranger things have been spotted in the wild.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Thanks tinjaw - was a bit antsy about renaming them  ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 01:15 AM »
Thanks tinjaw - was a bit antsy about renaming them  ;D

IME : nothing mean ever happened to an installer (or me) after renaming it.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 01:30 AM »
I reorganize (or tidy-up) my Windows config every week or so. About 30-45 minutes total work (including defragging the new config of mass directories and such).

Here is how I do it:

Desktop contains ONLY the Recycle Bin. Everything else is
A) Put on my RocketDock (for games/extremely commonly used items), and I find it in the Start Menu and put it in the root of the start menu's All Programs folder (On XP, I also organized my Start Menu by Name, but if you check all the options (I am too lazy to find out exactly what one, and all = less crap) in CCleaner it does it for you :))
B) Deleted, and I find it in the Start Menu and put it in the root of the start menu's All Programs folder (On XP, I also organized my Start Menu by Name, but if you check all the options (I am too lazy to find out exactly what one, and all = less crap) in CCleaner it does it for you :))

My Documents contains...
mostly crap programs put in there (*ehem* Screenshot Captor *ehem*...;))
contains some random temporary text files for temporary (duh) usage later.

My Music...
duh

My Videos...
(see above)

C:\Program Files - ONLY programs (and Windows crap). I use default directories on MOST things (that I can recognize) although having company names filling my Program Files folder is a big no-no for me. :P

C:\Games - ONLY Games (and Xfire/Fraps)

I also clean the drive root itself a lot, deleting the temporary windows crap that gets dropped in there in folder "35834953784bg98hr9gh39g8h84hy_update_kb1903478h" or something, and never removed by Microsoft's wonderful Windows Installer...

I check my startup proggies with StartupRun as well, crap gets in there randomly and its a pain. I have about 8 programs average booting with windows (Windows Sidebar, TrayIt, Taskbar Shuffle, L33tSig, Xfire, Xfire Music Plugin, and a couple others). Any more and I get picky.

As far as backups go, I dual partitioned my HDD, 20/120GB for backups, rest for my normal drive. Nightly auto backups of my C:\User\Brandon (I am on Vista, it is C:\Documents and Settings\Brandon on XP) and manual backups of new program versions reside on partition B. The good thing about this is I can wipe Vista at any time. The bad news is, if the whole drive goes belly up, I'm screwed ;D.

So yea, a bare-minimum Start menu, game-coated RocketDock and empty desktop/taskbar fill my screen. Uhh....maybe a little bit too tidy? Oh well, works for me! :)

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 01:49 AM »
Hi tomos, thanks for your interest.

Yes, most of my primary partitions are actually for testing/toying and occupy one cylinder only. On my two laptops that is about 4 MB (HDD capacity 2059 MB), on the desktop about 7.8 MB. That way I can fit lots of them in front of the 1024 cylinder boundary. I don't claim that this is useful, but it tickles my fancy. I also have a large C: primary partition, which is active most of the time when I boot into Windows (any flavour). That is a compromise I had to make when I realized that there are programs, that insist on putting files in C:\Temp, or C:\WARCRAFT, or C:\Programme, or C:\Program Files, or ... . All of these are primary and that "primary block" is physically located at the start of the hard disk.

Next comes a single extended partition, that contains all the remaining HDD drive letters: D, E (several to choose from), F, G. On my Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop there follows a SaveToDisk primary partition, because it likes to have one there. Well, it likes to have one and I just put it there so it's out of the way.

TotalCMD on D: is Total Commander, without which I could not work the way I like to work. Actually work is the wrong term, maybe play or mess is more appropriate. But anyway.

E: (all of them) are logical drives inside the extended partition. When I install programs they usually go to E:\Program Files\ alongside with E:\Windows. There have been naughty installers that created their own folders in E:\Programme or even E:\XXX where XXX is the default name for %ProgramFiles% in french, spanish, ... . Those installers have always created that particular folder in the root of E drive automatically, without my help or consent. After testing and uninstalling I remove the foreign E:\XXX manually. No cause for upset on my behalf.

So to answer your question directly: I have no trouble with the different path. Just when I try to figure things out for foreign friends, or when I try out software that does not support english, these folders get ceated on eighther C: or E:. All of the programs that I use on a regular base install automatically in %ProgramFiles% as expected. BTW when I want to use/test a particular program under a different Windows version, I boot into the different version first and install it again. I keep installers in F:\Setup, my downloads go to F:\Download and are accessible from several different Windows versions without even a change of drive letters.

As to your remark about Ghost images, no problems here. I stick to the rule that what comes from C: goes back to C: (primary partition), what comes from E: goes back to E: (logical drive inside extended partition). I can just guess that restoring an image of a bootable primary partition to a logical drive might no be bootable any more, but did not know about problems with restoring ghost images to non-C drives. Maybe I was just lucky to not run into problems. If you can remember where that info comes from, would you mind telling me where, or what to google for, please?
I just want to add that I have no experience with imaging software other than ghost, but my feeling is that restoring a bootable primary partition with Windows as OS to a logical drive will never work, because Windows does not support booting from a logical drive. I further feel that if it is done anyways, and I reboot (lets say from a CD), the restored partition will contain all the files from the image, will not be corrupted in any way, but will not boot because of OS just can't. IMHO this might be the case with all imaging software. So if I expect to boot from it, I won't get what I want. But If I expect to restore the files, I will get what I want. It's a question of "Does my problem suit the solution?"

I have tried out several different locations for pagefile.sys: C:\, E:\, external HDD (I don't have a 2nd internal HDD). I have settled for E:\pagefile.sys for the following reasons: 1. Windows puts it there (least important), 2. the heads on the HDD don't have to travel far to access it if they are lurking somewhere on E: (which might not even be the case most of the time), 3. hassle free (most important, that is something that I don't enjoy messing with). But I will definately try out 2nd internal HDD as soon as I have one. I want to find out if I could have a single pagefile for different Windows, because I could save disk space on all my Windows installations. Not really necessary, but I'm curious about it.

I just noticed you wrote paging file(s). The only other file I have is E:\hiberfile.sys on my WindowsXP desktop. It appeared after the first use of hibernating. Is that what you meant? And as mentioned above my Dell laptop supports hibernating (or something) to different locations, (C:\filename.ext and dedicated primary partition) when I use the utility that comes on the driver disk. IIRC, because right now I can't seem to find the lead to plug it into the mains. An even older TI Extensa of mine (I found the lead) has E:\Windows\win386.swp in an Windows 98 SE installation.

I will now go and search the forum for discussions on paging file or swapfiles or virtual memory, because I am eager to find out what others have done.

Sorry to be so long, I will stop here now. If you have more questions, I will gladly answer, but I don't want to abuse other peoples threads. I will start a new thread for that, and post a link here. I don't want to leave a bad impression on my second day of membership.

Greetings to all
Wolf
Schön wär's, wenn's schön wär!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 05:00 AM »
Wolf -v.quick response

thanks for all that info -
I dont think this off topic  :)
"new organization ideas for fresh windows installation"
sounds about right :)
I'll have to reread your post again later though..

re paging file(S)
https://www.donation...36.msg81703#msg81703
was the most recent...
Tom