I have a folder, containing many of subfolders, all of which need burning to CDs. It is not important which folders end up on which CDs, so I would like some software to figure the best collection of folders for each CD to minimize the total number of CDs used.
There is an existing application FillCD which does exactly this!
BUT - the program is shareware, and appears to have been abandoned in late 2005. I have scoured the web for information...
- The original homepage fillcd.com is gone.
- The newer homepage fillcd.net has said "Sorry! The FillCD site is currently in transition. Please check back later." for months.
- Some of the subpages of fillcd.net work - but the downloads bring up errors.
- Registration is via email, but all contact email addresses are for the old domain, and bounce.
- Emails to the new domain disappear into the inner workings of the inter-web-mega-carriageway never to be seen again.
- Various posts in alt.windows.freeware over the last 12 months have not turned up any trace of the author.
I am aware of Burn to the Brim
but this has more than its fair share of problems.
Perhaps someone can develop an alternative?
1) Accept a list of files and/or folders.
2) Mix and match these (keeping folders and subfolders together) to best fit the desired medium (eg 700MB CD).
3) Produce a list of files to burn to CD or possibly move the files/folders into a subfolder (eg BurnThis #1).
4) Repeat until all files/folders allocated.