topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Kaspersky Internet Security 7  (Read 60932 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kaspersky Internet Security 7
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 12:02 AM »
Kaspersky comes with a plugin for the Bat! (email program).  If I disable this plugin, is it a big deal?  Because I'm already using real-time scanning, what more protection is scanning the incoming and outgoing emails going to add?

Floppy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 04:27 AM »
Hello,

Kaspersky comes with a plugin for the Bat! (email program).  If I disable this plugin, is it a big deal?  Because I'm already using real-time scanning, what more protection is scanning the incoming and outgoing emails going to add?

i think the main purpose of the plugin is to move virus mails into the quarantine folder automatically.

Best regards,
Dirk

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 10:48 AM »
I understand.  Thanks.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 11:27 AM »
lol i hate the squealing pig noise
  ;D

Great review, esp. if it scored you a free copy ;) :Thmbsup:

off topic: I had some really crappy experiences with Panda Security software. :mad:
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Can anyone help me where I can find licence key for Kaspersky internet security 7, please its emergency.

There ya go: Kapersky Internet Security Suite 7 key
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:37 PM by Darwin »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 05:04 PM »
If you can't afford kaspersky, go for free apps versions :

http://www.avast.com...ng/avast_4_home.html

http://www.comodo.co...s/free_products.html

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 has virtual keyboard.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 01:47 AM »
I'm installing 2009 today!  :Thmbsup:

chetcope2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Wilders has a2 page thread (Sept 3) on OEM version of Kaspersky Int. Security 2009 on CD for $26 (Single User)
http://www.wildersse...;highlight=kaspersky

The retailer: Computersworth.  Several folk in the Wilders thread vouch for the company.
http://www.computers...mp;catname=Kaspersky

Of course they also discuss OEM ramifications (& legality).

Me? I'm thinking about ordering Microsoft's One Care (v2) for $19 (3 user ??, also OEM, on CD) from New Egg:
http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16832116442

I have the 90 day One Care trial version on my Vista 64 & it's working fine.  I had been using Webroot & Zone Alarm suites on  my 2 PC's but now that my XP PC died & I have 2 Vista PC's (one with 64 bit) I won't renew either: They won't support 64-bit.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Just got back from vacation, getting ready (I hope) to do a more thorough treatment. But here's my first impression.

In this version KIS has crossed a line in usability  :(

In the past there were a couple of places where I didn't quite understand what it was doing. Now this applies to much of the application. In particular, they've added categories of applications: "High Trusted", "Low Trusted", etc. When the system pops up a warning that an app is doing something that might be naughty, you're (generally) given several choices. One of these is Allow (with sub-choices of Allow once only and Allow always. A separate choice is Make Trusted. What the heck is the difference between saying to "allow always" versus "make trusted"? I just don't get it. I'm as expert a computer user as you're likely to find. If I don't get what's going on, it's a good bet that your average user will be completely floundering.

If you make security too complicated, people will ignore it. Faced with these perplexing choices, users are going to guess, and that's no way to be secure. So they may have made the tool more powerful -- on paper. But in real life, it will do a worse job.

Another thing bothering me is the way it scans applications proactively (I think as part of their heuristic filtering, where they try to identify problems before they occur). A program that's never been run before is scanned, and this takes 15-20 seconds. Sometimes when one process is spawning another, the parent proc things that the child has failed because it's taking so long. The result of this is that I can't use the SUPER video converter while KIS is running (it seems to create child programs dynamically). So their tighter security is forcing me to turn off the security altogether -- another case of theoretical improvements forcing me to use the system in an unsafe manner.

Disclosure: I'm evaluating a free NFR copy given to me by a Kaspersky sales rep. No strings were attached.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 01:17 AM »
I used these to learn more about KIS 2009 - helped a lot..  :Thmbsup:

http://forum.kaspers....php?showtopic=72383

:)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 02:58 AM »
Nice find, CleverCat. The "setting up" thread in particular, is a great resource for someone who wants an in depth look into the sw without actually installing it, loads of screenshots.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33 AM »
I like to 'peruse' the forums and when they said 'KIS 2009 is different', I wanted to be up to speed!

I had no probs setting up, and I took a good look at the info first.  ;)

Glad to help!  :Thmbsup:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 01:47 AM »
I used KAV6 and switched to NOD32 a little before my subscription was up. Kaspersky always gets top marks for its protection scheme - you really can't beat it!

I was a little put out by its behavior at times though. (BTW, I hated the sound with a passion! Though that wasn't what caused me to lose KAV6). KAV's version of Threat Detection or whatever they call their heuristics for malware was a little too over the top for me. Extremely aggressive and it ate up a fair number of good applications I like to use. I got an inordinate number of false positives from it. I spent a lot of time on their forum trying to resolve the problems, but in the end it was either "live with the issues or turn off that part of the program". Since the heuristics is part of what makes KAV good I didn't want to lose it, but I couldn't tolerate the unannounced quarantines and/or deletions that it did.

I just rechecked what it did: On a few occasions it grabbed emails that I was composing on another computer in my network that wasn't even using Kaspersky! In one case it was a forward of a phish email I had received that I was sending to the financial institution to alert them. As I was composing it, the email just suddenly disappeared. I was running Trend Micro on that computer and I thought that was doing it. I found the quarantined email on my desktop computer the next day. I wrote Kaspersky about it and they said "If it was a phish email then that's correct behavior". Bull! Then it started eating up my MediaMonkey scripts. Three of them I had written myself - VBS scripts. I had seen this early on and so placed them in the Exclusion section. After a couple months all of a sudden they would all disappear suddenly. If I was at the PC of course the screeching noise would alert me - and cause me to pee myself at the same time!   :o  Since they were supposed to be excluded I was baffled. Kaspersky did not reply to submittals for analysis, but a forum member told me that when new signatures are updated oftentimes they ignore the exclusions. And then I was told that the script protection module did not use the exclusions. As to why they would be safe for months and then suddenly delete them (Yes, NOT quarantine, but delete!), my best guess is the "new definitions" explanation.

I stick with NOD32 now. It also has quirks, but a lot less IMO.

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Anyone dig the new kaspersky 2010 (v9)?  I just installed it, not having any problems.  Seems cool enough, not that different from 2009.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01 AM »
Great except it won't let me shut down using FARR Nircmd? :huh: