topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Change title bar name (in any application)  (Read 39920 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Change title bar name (in any application)
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:25 PM »
I'm sure I saw a little script somewhere that can do that -- here maybe?
Does anyone knows if it exists?
(I often open multiple windows of a unique documents and if I could retitle each of them, it would be easier to switch between them rapidly, using Justice's efficient AHK "task switcher" script for farr.)
Thanks!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Change title bar name (in any application)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:15 PM »
I know that various of the Actual tools can do this (but they're not free!). Other than that, I'd be interested in a simple solution to this as well.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:29 PM »
Thanks Darwin.

I just found the Change Caption feature you're most certainly referring to.

Available in: Actual Window Manager, Actual Window Guard.

The Change Caption action allows you changing window's caption string to one you like better.

Hint:  The Change Caption action is useful for instances where the default caption is needlessly cluttered with superfluous information you don't need to see (like program version numbers, folder paths, active database filenames, etc.) or times when you want to disguise a window's identity.

Possible triggers: Startup.

Like the quote says, the feature is either available in Actual Window Guard at $29.95 or in the whole Actual Window Manager "suite" at... $59.95 (now that's out of the question...).

let's see if somebody comes up with some other solutions...  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:56 PM »
... Actually, the more I think about it... it could be a feature of the super "farr alt tab replacement" : could be able to change the windows titles displayed in its list ...

Here's a possible application: press alt-tab, right "bi", press "enter" and bam : the MS word "bibliography" window view (normal unfriendly name : "thesis.doc:8") of your thesis appears!

But i digress.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:00 PM »
title changer
Yeah it was requested in this topic right here, and answered also.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Cool!! I knew I saw that somewhere!
Thanks nite_monkey. I'll try it right away.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Hummmm.... It works, but the name won't stick if I'm renaming different windows of the same document. The script doesn't take into account specific windows handle, maybe? I wonder if it would be possible to circumvent this limitation by modifying the script...???
PS. I don't know AHK enough to do that myself...  :-[

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Two points, first the second one... Thanks for the link to TitleChanger, nite_monkey. I'd forgotten about that one. Armando, try installing the demo of whichever flavour of Actual tool you are interested in and then uninstall. In the past they have offered as much as 50% off to purhcase it then and there! It usually runs at a more pedestrian 10-20%, but it might make a difference in your decision making process!

BTW (Off-topic Alert! Code Red!): How's the PhD coming? I think we need to form a support network...!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Nifty! justice did a fine job with this.

But I really want a permanent change of certain title bar names.
Are there any free or cheap ones to do this (to me, $20 or 30 is nowhere cheap for this one feature)?

:tellme:

(Edit: TrialPay is not an option I will want to consider.)
Edit2: I cannot see any that Actual Tools should be offering this feature - temporary or permanent. Is it just me who can't read?

Edit3: Ohh, it is called "Change window caption"
- and is $30 !!  :down:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:33 PM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Well, young Curt, all I can say is try the Actual demo for Actual Window Guard. As I mentioned, if you install it and uninstall it you should be offered a significant discount on purchasing it. Hang on, I'll check the current discount if using this method... 20%. I saved the link  8) on the off-chance that I ever decided to buy afterall. Note, though, that the amount does vary - I saved it at a time when they were offering a 50% discount (since then - about a year ago - I've not seen it higher than 20% but have certainly seen it as low as 10%). As I have WindowBlinds and ObjectDesktop I've never really been too tempted to buy. The developer is good and responsive - I had quite an exchange with him regarding resource usage issues that I was seeing. He's very courteous and open to suggestions.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Well, young Curt,

Are you kidding me?

- or kindly referring to my half-a-century birthday the day after tomorrow?  :D

I like the Actual Tools, but they are way over-priced. Even with a 20% cut down.
- and most if not all the other features, I already have.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Ha, ha... can't say I disagree, Curt. You'll note that I've never made the jump either (though at the 50% off offer, I was tempted). Like you, I don't need these features enough to warrant the price...

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Like the quote says, the feature is either available in Actual Window Guard at $29.95 or in the whole Actual Window Manager "suite" at... $59.95 (now that's out of the question...).

let's see if somebody comes up with some other solutions...  :)

Yeah, for $60 (or $30 for that matter) I got one ...
  Live with it!

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Just to clarify, I don't think Actual Tools' prices are that bad - I just don't have any burning need/desire for any of the functionality that they offer as I have other solutions in place. I was quite enamoured of Actual Window Manager but *knew* that I wouldn't wind up using it that much and, as noted, already have Object Desktop, which offers much of the same functionality.

Curt - in case I miss it - Happy Birthday! I was simply referring to the fact that you are only as old as you feel and you come across as someone young at heart  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 02:41 AM »
.. you come across as someone young at heart  :)

I wil take it as a compliment: Thank you, Darwin,....I think.  8)

Yes, come Saturday will do something to me. I don't spend much time thinking about my age, but it has been a mind teaser for me to be the one who is supposed to arrange a family reunion! I am the youngest of six, and the only one not married or with any children, so for so many years I have been used to be the one who is being invited, not the one who is inviting...

Curt - in case I miss it - Happy Birthday!

Thank you, Darwin! Actual (sorry!), I am a little afraid I might miss it myself...

--

Just to clarify: I really do think Actual Tools are over-priced. The bundled ($60) should be $20 !
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:47 AM by Curt »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 04:26 AM »
one of the Actual tools - Actual Window Menu was recently given away at GAOTD. it is worth the while to keep an eye there since sometimes they repeat the giveaways..

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 09:54 AM »
Just to clarify: I really do think Actual Tools are over-priced. The bundled ($60) should be $20 !

:D I suppose if you consider their full price, you're right. Not having bought it myself and not being tempted to means that I haven't really given their pricing serious thought (the only time I was tempted to buy was at the aforementioned 50% discount).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Today is a damn busy day for me. 
so I'll just say that I tried Actual Window Manager but it doesn't do what I'm trying to do better than justice's ahk script: it doesn,t work with multiple windows of the same document.

The work around I've fonud in the mean time (have to find a way : working with all these similar windows is otherwise a headache) is to assign the specific MS Word windows numbers (multiple MS word windows of the same document have the same title + a number) to specific areas of my document. Then, with justice's other great script (SwitchToTask.exe) + farr and its great new custom hotkey system, I can just type "ctrl+shift+tab", the number and… voilà. Not perfect but extremely convenient (this is gives an idea of how useful a true farr alt-tab plugin would be   …)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 11:11 AM »
BTW (Off-topic Alert! Code Red!): How's the PhD coming? I think we need to form a support network...!

[off-topic] I'm in the process of making huge decisions right now. I’m on a big grant, do well, etc. BUT I feel pretty unsatisfied. All summer, I’ve been thinking off leaving the whole PhD thing where it is and... do something else ("what" is another question).
For some reasons, I can't make up my mind. Anyway... I have to decide today or, at the latest, tomorrow.
Otherwise… Yes! A support network could be a -- eventually -- a good idea… [/off-topic]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 01:05 PM »
[off-topic] We should get jackets! I'm in the same head-space, but the decision making process is complicated by a family that is intent on my finishing the darned thing... I think that if I REALLY wanted to quit, I would, but I can't help thinking that it's time to cut my losses and get on with my life... Anyway, good luck with the decision and I'm sure that whatever you decide, things will turn out just fine.[/off-topic]

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 12:26 PM »
[off-topic] Ok. I will finish it.  :beerchug:  God. It feels good to have finally really decided.

And we should definitely get (straight? or, on the contrary, very... light?) jackets [/off-topic]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 01:39 PM »
[off-topic] Ok. I will finish it.  :beerchug:  God. It feels good to have finally really decided.

And we should definitely get (straight? or, on the contrary, very... light?) jackets [/off-topic]

Agreed, and congratulaions on making the decision! I'm working on the newsletter and have a book review to write, along with some editing work (oh, yes, and the PhD) but will give some thought to the support club. There are more than enough students on these boards - mouser included! - Who could probably use something like this. Of course, too, there are lots of external resources as well... Let me know if you come up with anything as well.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 05:21 PM »
I've been asked a few times for permanent changes to TitleChanger. I can see what I can do. should come cheaper than $30 anyway. ;) just make the requests in the thread. Spent an hour on it before and had some problems with AHK to recognise windows by a unique ID (currently it works by processID), this means I can't save that unique-window-id should always be renamed so and so.

So any AHK help or ahk forum threads for doing something like that would definately help me implement it quicker.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 05:26 PM »
Cool, justice! Despite the fact that I don't have Actual Tools (of any flavour) installed, I would like the option to re-title applications. This is because I have some bizarre settings problem that I've never been able to track down to source (and I do not want to format my computer and reinstall windows): for some dratted reason Paint, ArcGis, Notepad and a few other apps display their windows titles, dialogue text and taskbar titles in Korean! I can read them but would be happier with a consistent interface - all English as I am at best fluent in English and barely passable in French in Korean... Anyway, will watch TitleChanger with interest.

:Thmbsup:

ur1sn00per

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 08:54 AM »
i'm looking for permanent change - i'd like to stick version numbers on all software - in all that wasted real estate - tried using ResourceHacker on Media Player Classic using String Table and it worked ok. But Metapad did not work in the same way - i realised here that the the title bar changes depending on what you are doing and suddenly it's complicated ...