topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What about web-based (php, ruby, python, etc) DC coders doing some web snacks?  (Read 9590 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
We've got quite a few coders on DC creating small http://autohotkey-based desktop utilities, but we really don't seem to have much activity from the web-based coders.  There are so many fun little ideas that would be nice to see turned into small web-based applications/services..

Any of you web-based coders interested in setting up a kind of space somewhere on dc and trying to create some fun small web services?

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
yes yes, I second the opinion.

'Do you concur Doctor?'
"Yes, I concur!"
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd be game for scripting some snacks, that's about the size I like to script in anyway :P

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do you have some examples of these kind of "web snacks" ?? Not really practical is it? idk.  :D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey wordpress theme creator for web is ready,maybe someone can lift it to program on delphi or cpp builder? what u think?

I have lot of ideas for programs but sometimes can't get started just stuck with some basic things in IDE   :(

Actually once i get comfortable in Delphi i'll try to create a beteer donationware software that competes gamemaker (gamemaker.nl)
ok ok that is just my wish,lets see how far i go.

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Favourites Server Side is a small web (asp or php) app to enable one to search a set of Internet Explorer Favourites of Bookmarks from any computer that has Internet Web access. It can be found at http://www.chris.id.au/fss.

It is completely free.

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey chris -- i'm sorry i didn't respond to your post until now -- The demo pages showing it in action seem to be down at the moment but, very neat idea!  :up:

Anyone else want to show off some web scripting you've done?

Or volunteer to create a fun new service for dc members? I have a few ideas I can suggest, but i think the fun thing might be to just try to round up some people ready to create some web stuff and take suggestions.

If you are just getting your feet wet and aren't sure if you are ready to try creating a public program, drop by the programming school section of this forum and do a few exercises..

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops. The test is now there http://chris.id.au/test. Try searching for "quick" or "donation"

Chris

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very nice  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anyone want to take a try at creating the CodyTasks idea that we tossed around a little while ago?

The idea is to have a script that would keep track of some # of tasks and who had completed each one.

Some more details, keeping things as simple as possible:
Admin can create a text file (or database table) that lists tasks.
At first i think the task completion will be completely on the honor system, so users should see the list of tasks and be able to check tasks they complete.  Eventually it would be nice to be able to say some tasks can only be marked complete for a user by the page admin.
So when a user visits the page the script should look up their username and show them the list of all tasks and which ones they have accomplished, and let them mark tasks they have completed.  Where do user names come from?  We will interface the script to the forum database, so the script should simply include a function call to "getusername" which will sometimes simply return null, meaning the user isnt logged in and so there is nothing for them to do.
Lastly, we would also want it so users could see a list of all people who have accomplished tasks.

Any takers?