topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anywhere.FM: Upload your entire music collection - play it anywhere  (Read 21226 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
:D Found this site via stumbleupon..

Right can someone explain how it's allowed to make something like this and have it funded? I can't find anything on the website about the legality of the project, but its creators seem to be ex Amazon and Microsoft. It doesn't look bad, although I don't need it - maybe you do:

Anywhere.FM is a powerful music player that makes it easy to:
  ·  Upload your entire music collection
  ·  Play it anywhere on the best web music player
  ·  Discover new music through Friend Radio

Is there a limit to how many songs I can upload?

Currently in beta we do not enforce a limit to how many songs you can upload. So knock yourselves out :) In the future, we may institute a storage limit or charge for premium storage.
http://www.anywhere.fm/player/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:15 AM by justice »

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know of this service until now! While I don't see myself uploading much music to such a site until I know more about the legality of it etc., I love the fact that it makes it very easy to discover new bands. Just since I started listening 5 minutes ago, I've discovered at least 1 new band that I need to find the full CD's of :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If this is secure/legal, it's interesting in may ways. One of them: it's a great backup. After traveling for 1.5 month without my music, I missed it. This would be a solution.

The recomendation part, I must try. Looks like my previous favorite, MusicIP, is half dead, no new features added in over 2 months. andd now, I added a few CDs, just to discover that most of them are unanalyzable. When did things go this wrong?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My only issue/concern/query has to do with the practicality of uploading gigabytes of data. You can do it in the background while you work and leave your computer unattended doing this overnight and while you eat, etc. But that's a lot of bandwidth.

urlwolf - you've verbalized what I've been secretly fearing/dreading: MusicIP Mixer does indeed seem to be dead. Version 1.7 is idiosyncratic, though usable, I've been anxiously awaiting a newer release with better management of playlists (as in how they are launched), etc. Upsetting.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.musicip.com/mixer/index.jsp version 1.8 is available.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks justice  :Thmbsup:! This is kind of funny - I've been checking for MusicIP Mixer updates daily but hadn't bothered today and here it is! Life's funny... Anyway off to grab it now.

EDIT: wonder how long it's been available? MusicIP Mixer 1.7 still reports no updates available, yet the website reports the current version as 1.8. Oh well...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:45 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Man (and Woman)! WTF happened to the icons? I updated, uinstalled and reinstalled it, but v.1.8 consistently displays all of its icons from within it GUI wrong:

Icons.PNGAnywhere.FM:  Upload your entire music collection - play it anywhere

It's like there is a blank where they should be. Well, I guess I've have to rip it out with Your Uninstaller, reboot and try again.

Also, it looks like this has been available since July 30th, so I've been wasting my time for over three weeks! How many degrees does it take to figure out how to update a piece of software?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:40 PM by Darwin »

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Only allows mp3s :( It would take too long to convert my flac collection to all mp3s.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would've thought a bigger concern would be how long it would take to UPLOAD your FLAC files!  :D

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The fact that musicip comes up seems to suggest we'd like to see recommendation facilities for MusicIP.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anywhere.FM: Upload your entire music collection - play it anywhere
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09 AM »
Well, musicIP does do recommendation, right?
That's the whole point of it, is it not?

I just cannot find a changelog anywhere. I have been submitting feature requests that would make MIP a killer app, I'm just wondering if any of them has been implemented.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 08:30 AM »
bummer about mp3 only. I have lots of ogg/flac.

No new posts in the musicIP blogs either?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 08:40 AM »
I mean recommendations for music I don't have yet.
release notes are in the forums

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 08:58 AM »
Sort of a postscript to my post about the icons... I wanted to post in the MusicIP Mixer forums but couldn't upload my picture there. I'm about to upload to imageshack and try again. Hopefully, I'll get the help I need (?!) from the people that are best positioned to give it to me  ;D

EDIT: Also, sorry for so shamelessly hi-jacking this thread   :-[
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:32 AM by Darwin »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 09:18 AM »
How can this be anything other than illegal?

If nothing else you are sharing your music files (which some people say are illegal to start with if they are ripped from CDs) with the owners of the website. Allowing others to listen to your music via 'Friends Radio' is also sharing your files with other people (even though they can't download them).

Most legal download sites for MP3 files specify in licenses that files must not be uploaded to websites, servers or P2P systems - so by using this you are probably breaking the purchase contract you agreed.

Strikes me this is the ideal way for 'someone' to 'collect' a huge amount of music to drop into the P2P file sharing community! Just make sure you don't upload anything with personal information (a lot of legal MP3 downloads include the name of the person it is licensed to in the headers).

I would think this is precisely the sort of thing that will make some companies, who have started to loosen up on selling unprotected files, think again.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:27 AM by Carol Haynes »

whicken

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 10:41 AM »
EDIT: wonder how long it's been available? MusicIP Mixer 1.7 still reports no updates available, yet the website reports the current version as 1.8. Oh well...

1.8 was "officially" released on the 18th, just before I left for vacation - the auto-updates will get turned on next week.  There's usually a week or so delay on the auto-updates, which spreads out how many people are updating at once.   I'll also update the blog after vacation.

No clue on the icon, though - which version of Windows is this on?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Hi whicken - welcome back to donationcoder and nice to see you again. I've posted about the icons issue in the MusicIP Mixer forum (but didn't post about my sysem there, either - I'll do that now).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 02:40 PM »
The recomendation part, I must try. Looks like my previous favorite, MusicIP, is half dead, no new features added in over 2 months. andd now, I added a few CDs, just to discover that most of them are unanalyzable. When did things go this wrong?

Whicken posted this a few days ago (Aug.17):
Just a quick notice - I will have somewhat limited internet access for the next week (or perhaps none at all). So apologies up front if there is an extra delay in responding to posted messages.

We've got a lot of cool stuff in the pipeline, just hang in there.

ender

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I have no clue whether those services are illegal, but anywhere.fm is not the only one:
http://www.mp3tunes.com/
http://www.mediamaster.com/

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 12:07 PM »
I tried uploading my music. Even installed itunes for that reason. It takes forever. With my connection, it'd be years before I get any significant amount of music uploaded.

I tried uploading it to my dreamhost account (!) and it's much faster. I'll just use that. No streaming, but my music will be available anywhere!

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 08:14 PM »
Hey justice this is a very Coooooooool find, thanx for posting!  :Thmbsup:

Since a couple of weeks I was on the search for something like this! A found some very good services,
but as far as I can say (for the very moment), your find seems to be one of the best!!!

If anyone is interested in what I found, here's a brief descriprion:

1) At Kaneva you can make your fully personalised Webpage incl. Photo album
    (with Slideshow), Blog, Video- & Music Player(!). You may also upload you own Music and create several Playlists! Kaneva is a kind of
    a virtual online community very similar to Second Life, but I'm not interested in that, I only joined because of the possibility to create
    Music playlist. Check it out folks, I like it very much. :D

2) Deezer is a brand new Site (today down for maintenance!) that also allows you to uplod your own songs.

3) There's another VERY VERY good site called projectplaylist-I recommend it !!! :up:
    Here you can create as well several playlists, you can even embed the player into ANY Website (your MySpace-Site or Blog for example)...
    It's very easy to use and (most) of the Music is very high quality !!! You can search for Artist or song title and once you've found what you like you
    can add it with 2-3 clicks to your playlist. Or browse the playlists of other users and add any song you like to your list. Coool Stuff!

4) By far the BEST I found 3 day ago is Dizzler!
    1.jpg 
    With Dizzler you can choose among of a variety of Skins for your Player; they're just awesome! There's even one that's called the
    BusinessSkin, where you can embed your own Picture and/ or Company Logo! The Logo is clickable and redirects to whatever URL
    you define!
    But the best part is just to come: in the player interface you can create a playlist of Music, Videos, Online Radio Stations
    & Games! And the sound Quality is simply Mindblowing! PLUS: you can embed the PLayer into any website! Please have a look at my player here

So thanx again to justice for pointing me to Anywhere.FM; I really do like it a lot :Thmbsup:
I hope my post is of interest to the rest of the community here :-[
PS: SORRY 4 the bad English
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:17 PM by IQLover »

bitbynit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 08:55 PM »
I had been waiting for something like this for a long time.. I use [ Invalid Attachment ]http://www.airset.com to organize many aspects of my life (for some groups i'm in and myself) and they recently added a playlist app built right in which is nice if you're inside AirSet.

But I'm really into MediaMaster for storing my music and listening to it almost anywhere....
I'm really into http://www.mediamaster.com (somebody already mentioned it and I wanted to add to that) It's really powerful. It's perhaps a bit geekier than anywheredotfm which I kinda played with. I love the uploader on MediaMaster because depending on what you're doing you can use the bandwidth slider to set how much of your precious bandwidth you want to devote to uploading.. when you're busy online you slide it down and when you're away from your machine and don't mind that your bandwidth is going to your music uploading you can slide it up.

Depending on what type of cellphone you have you can even to listen to your music streaming on it.. so they say ... but I haven't tried this yet. Has anybody?

bitby

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(moved post b/c the last post in this thread was on August 29, 2007)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:55 PM by bit »