topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Link Story: 100 things you can make yourself  (Read 5486 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Link Story: 100 things you can make yourself
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:17 PM »
I don't know about some of these things but I used to make my own beer quite regularly.. great stuff.  Only the cat used to love to steal the fermentation lock thing that bubbles on top of the fermenting beer quite a lot.  And one of the items here is making your soap, which reminds me of michelle's favorite laugh line, which is when i tell here how i bought one of those science kits to "make soap your own soap" and realized half way in that the ingredients were basically already soap.. i.e. i was making soap out of soap..

Convenience is certainly…well…convenient. Take a trip to just about any type of store and notice how everything is packaged and prepared. It seems the more we advance, the more stuff is done for us. I don’t mind letting someone else do all the work for me, the problem is of course, that convenience is expensive and we’re getting really lazy. I started thinking about all the things we can make ourselves if we put forth a little effort and found lots of cool instructions online.

from http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/

PlayPhil

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Link Story: 100 things you can make yourself
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:43 AM »
Very interesting Jesse. As an avid DIY'r I've made many of the things on that list. Also, I like to cook and we definitely like the taste of my efforts over COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) goods, most of which is so blah tasting I can't believe people want to spend 500-10,000% more than it costs to make at home.

Don't think I'll be making soap tho, simple as it is ;)
Phil

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Link Story: 100 things you can make yourself
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Me either.  "Fight Club" has me scared of lye, so no real soap making for me.  Oh yeah, and human fat.  That scares me too.
I code.  Therefore I am.