topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: JrDebugLogger - LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.12.01 - May 7, 2013  (Read 34040 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
JrDebugLogger - The Cross-platform Debug Logging toolkit for C++.

Download from program web page: https://www.donation...buglogger/index.html

v1.12.01 - May 7, 2013
  • Now properly saves time/date stamps by default in output.

v1.11.01 - Nov 13, 2010
  • By default if a relative filename is specified for debug output (-dbo), it will be created in the application directory.  HOWEVER with windows vista/win7 this has become illegal/problematic.  JrDebug will now attempt to use the AppData directory (e.g. Users\Documents and Settings\AppData\JrDebug\Exename) by default on vista/win7 in these cases.  You can specify ;info along with the -dbo to have the directory used output;
  • Added debug directive to disable all windows-specific code, see Application Switch Files and Compile Flags.

v1.10.01 - Apr 7, 2010
  • [bugfix] due to an ambiguous matching of function definitions, dbprintf could result in wrong passing of arguments (only happened with 2 args passed to it, one int and one char*), which could cause assertion fault message. -- thanks ewemoa

v1.09.01 - Mar 27, 2010
  • [minor bugfix] debug messages sent to system were sometimes being split onto 2 lines (thanks ewemoa)
  • [minor feature] added option that can be specified with plain text outputters (including system output) to not show the "MessageType:" prefix on messages.

v1.08.01 - Mar 10, 2009
  • [minor bugfix] Fixed some deprecated compiler warnings generated by the latest gcc. (thanks Gothic).
  • [minor bugfix] added string.h and stdlib.h to compiled-in headers needed to compile on latest gcc (thanks Gothic).
  • [feature] added some documentation about using under *nix build system (thanks Gothic).

v1.07.01 - July 26, 2008
  • [minor feature] added code to add an AnsiString streaming helper for C++ Builder users (nothing extra for users to do, you can now stream AnsiString objects; define JrDebugDIRECTIVE_DontAddAnsiStringStreaming to disable its creation).

v1.06.01 - July 5, 2008
  • [minor feature] put -a at the end of a log output filename to signify it should be opened in append mode (otherwise it will be overwritten).

v1.05.01 - Aug 19th, 2007
  • bugfix -- jrdebug_notcompiled_macros.h had a missing #define
  • added fflush() after each file line output -- ensures file output is always up to date
  • re-ordered this changelog to put more recent stuff at top.

This update includes one bugfix that would cause a failure to compile in some cases, and one very important but minor call to fflush which ensures debug output files are always up to date.  So it it definitely a recommended update.

ps. This is one of my least well known releases, and it takes a bit of experimentation to get used to using it, BUT i personally find it extremely useful when debugging things like dlls are other background processes where showing stuff on the screen is not normally practical.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:51 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very minor update to allow easy specification that debug output files should be opened in append mode.

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I been looking at an older version, it does look good but a little too complex. I will take a look at the new one when I can find the time

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it's a bit crazy looking on the inside, but designed to be dead simple to use with absolutely no impact on size or performance when disabled.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very minor update only of interest to those using c++ builder.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v1.08.01 - Mar 10, 2009
  • [minor bugfix] Fixed some deprecated compiler warnings generated by the latest gcc. (thanks Gothic).
  • [minor bugfix] added string.h and stdlib.h to compiled-in headers needed to compile on latest gcc (thanks Gothic).
  • [feature] added some documentation about using under *nix build system (thanks Gothic).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

v1.10.01 - Apr 7, 2010
  • [bugfix] due to an ambiguous matching of function definitions, dbprintf could result in wrong passing of arguments (only happened with 2 args passed to it, one int and one char*), which could cause assertion fault message. -- thanks ewemoa

v1.09.01 - Mar 27, 2010
  • [minor bugfix] debug messages sent to system were sometimes being split onto 2 lines (thanks ewemoa)
  • [minor feature] added option that can be specified with plain text outputters (including system output) to not show the "MessageType:" prefix on messages.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: JrDebugLogger - LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.11.01 - Nov 13, 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:11 AM »
So i'm not sure anyone uses this besides me, but i've uploaded a new version that attempts to solve a problem where default creation of a debug output file would normally go into the program file folder of the application, which didn't work quite right under vista/win7.

This will now be detected and output send to Users\AppData\JrDebug\AppName\ or something like that.

This can be VERY helpful if you are sending someone a debug version of a program to run so you can gather debug info, and they will be running it in the normal application folder where they normally dont have access permission to create files.  Prior to this version the result would be a MS shadowed file that they would have an insanely difficult time locating.

I've tried to update the documentation a little too, but as always the sample source code is best way to see how to use it.

ps.
i've tested this in a few compilers as always, it should compile fine on *nix as well as windows, but i'd love to hear reports of any troubles and any bugfixes from *nix users or other compiler reports.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: JrDebugLogger - LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.11.01 - Nov 13, 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:19 AM »
I'm happy to help anyone who has any troubles, just post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't believe there are any users of this library out in the wild, but if so i've uploaded an update  :P