topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Extra Update Files  (Read 6015 times)

chrisk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Extra Update Files
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:55 AM »
hi mouser and all,
well, i must once again be struck by typical blindness...i dragged/dropped the folder paths (example: C:\Program Files\Clipboard Help+Spell\  or  C:\Program Files\ComponentSoftware\CSDiff5\) onto the options window for "extra update files"...and nothing. this, although CHS is running and CSDiff5 was started, respectively; although i closed down DcUpdater in between; the added programs never appear, neither on the "installed packages" nor the "available for installation" tabs.

so, please bear with me: what am i doing wrong?

thanks for any help and suggestion for getting this wonderful program to work.

chrisk

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Extra Update Files
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:26 AM »
OK, first thing is that (currently) the updater tool only works with programs made to support it, so it's not going to work with CSDIFF5 no matter what you drop on it :)

Second,
I've just been updating all of my software to work with the updater.  If you have the latest copy of the updater tool, you should see a tab labeled "Available for Installation" and ClipboardHelpAndSpell v1.14.01 should be on it.  You need to install that latest version of CHS in order to get update checking for it.

Once the new version of CHS is installed you will have update support for it thereafter, and no need to drag any folders anywhere.

Really the only time you have to manually add folders to DcUpdater is if you bypass the installer for that program; and the thing you are doing when you add folders to DcUpdater manually is helping it locate the .dcupdate files for that program -- so if the program doesn't have a .dcupdate file then there is no point adding its folder.

chrisk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Extra Update Files
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:38 AM »
dear mouser,

thanks for the explanation...pity!!!! (i was hoping that maybe notepad editing of the dcupdate files would do it...so much for technical ignorance)
oh well.
thanks for all,
chrisk