topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ZipInstaller: Install Windows applications from a ZIP file  (Read 6193 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All these portable applications are really nice. However they don't shop up in the add / remove programs. They don't have any shortcuts. You have to browse to them every time. Your program launcher don't pick them up. Enter ZipInstaller:

The ZipInstaller utility installs and uninstalls applications and utilities that do not provide an internal installation program. It automatically extracts all files from the Zip file, copies them to the destination folder you select, creates shortcuts in the start menu and in your desktop, and adds an uninstall module to allow you to automatically remove the software in the future.

This utility was originally developed to install the utilities in NirSoft Web site, but you can use it for installing utilities and applications from other sources, like the utilities provided in SysInternal Web site, Funduc Software, and many others.
Generally, this utility can install properly almost any software compressed in Zip files that doesn't provide an install/uninstall module.
http://www.nirsoft.n...t/utils/zipinst.html

It can even install itself! lol Download the small exe and the zip file with the help, then use the zipinstaller exe to install the zip file :D It can also add a context menu entry to zip files you it's even easier to install your favourite portable app permanently.

zipinst_menu.gif
zipinst_install.gif

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ZipInstaller: Install Windows applications from a ZIP file
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:37 PM »
thats a brilliant idea  :up: :up: :up:

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:51 PM »
I have been using this since it's second release in late 2003.  NIRSoft has a TON of great free utilities, another I use is "Currports".  I highly recommend everyone take a look at his site.

http://www.nirsoft.net/

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03 AM »
I liked this program when I tried it some time ago, but I deleted it after I found that it didn't create shortcuts for every file I would want to put in the programs folder, because it only scanned the home directory, not the subdirs. Do you know if there's some program capable of scanning a folder, listing every file contained there, and giving you the option of setting up links to a set of those files?

Another feature that could be really nice is one that allowed installations from RAR and 7Z files. And if it allowed the edition of the uninstall entry fields, it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:12 AM by Lashiec »

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for posting this, I have tried it and found it awesome.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:05 PM »
Whenever I encounter a Zip file containing a folder with a lot of exucatuables, it has worked for me.  Other than that, just browse to the folder, sort by type, select all executables, right click, create shortcut.  Then move the shortcuts to where ever you want them....

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Whenever I encounter a Zip file containing a folder with a lot of exucatuables, it has worked for me.  Other than that, just browse to the folder, sort by type, select all executables, right click, create shortcut.  Then move the shortcuts to where ever you want them....

Thanks! Now let me go to the nearer wall to do something... :wallbash:

Jesus Christ! It was one of those simply logical things... :wallbash: :wallbash:

OK, done! :)