topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Set up "App Wiki"  (Read 7240 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Set up "App Wiki"
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Many times we, the DCs, talk about various kind of programs. Programs for this type of work, and for that type of work. In fact, I think we talk about this so often that "we" have become experts on the subject! But there are many sites all over the Internet that are trying to say THIS program is the best of its kind, or The Best FREE, or whatever. So we may not need more of that kind.

But what I was thinking we might need and have the expertice to bring forth, is a kind of Wiki of Apps That Can Do This, or that. Say; "how many apps are there to choose between if I am to draw an icon? Are they any good? I tried the one everybody say is The Best, but I didn't like it, so what else is around?" Instead of starting a new thread under General Software Discussion every time and then stop there, we could set up a Wiki where all such kind of information were to be written and stored, and commented.

One day we should end up having THE Wiki of Apps! Lex App. Sites will put up links to such a Wiki, I imagine, and even more people will come bye and pay a visit to DonationCoder. Because of the App's Wiki, or whatever such a name should be.

What do you think of it? Vote the poll!
 :tellme:

:-[
I would like you to vote (and tell your opinion), but I have forgotten how to set up a poll.

So say:
  • Yes, great idea
  • No, bad idea
  • - and tell WHY
  • Idontknow
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:27 PM by Curt »

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Set up "App Wiki"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:03 PM »
It sounds like a fantastic idea to me!! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:05 PM »
Sounds great!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Would take some careful planning to do it right, and decisions would have to be made whether it's free-for-all or if it requires login (with login tied to the DC forum login?) etc... but the idea is good enough imho.

And there's no such sites currently existing?
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:04 PM »
And there's no such sites currently existing?

- not that I know of.   :tellme:

You are  of course right about the careful planning, but I cannot see anyone but DC members should be allowed to write. I don't primarily think of this as some service to people all over the world, but both as a service to us and a means to attract more member$.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 06:59 PM by Curt »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 06:26 PM »
sounds like a good idea to me to  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 07:37 AM »
sounds great Curt  :up:

I've had a couple of ideas* lately but didnt want to start them cause if I start them I have to keep them going & up-to-date - such as, for example - the list of disc catalogers here (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7764.0)
okay,
others can post their comments,
but a wiki type thing would be wonderful I think - much better way of keeping the info up-to-date

forum members only - probably would keep it manageable

* one idea I had was to start a sort of a dictionary page for the non-experts amongst us (then again we're probably all non-expert in some area or other..)
something like that could work well wiki-style
Tom