topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Changing the default data (tree) directory  (Read 10388 times)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Changing the default data (tree) directory
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:23 PM »
This is an old issue brought up before in the Bug Tracker, but here it goes again.

If on the Start In: field of TFLM shortcut, I redirect the data files to be stored in
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\TheFormLetterMachine
directory, the application ignores that and still puts them into the %ProgramFiles%\TheFormLetterMachine directory just the same.

Honestly, for Windows 2K, XP, & Vista compatibility, the app should be putting them in the %APPDATA%\TheFormLetterMachine directory by default, which would work for me.  The Start In: field still should be able to override this default.  (I thought the MS foundation class libraries behaved this way by default, but I may be wrong.)

On an unrelated note, I'm bring this up now because I had to recently lock down my machine(s) to prevent innocent-looking spam URLs from indirectly linking to exe files that try to download and install on my system.  Clearly, this is a new trick by the spammers to install back doors on machines.  But I now have to grant access exceptions to directories like %ProgramFiles%\TheFormLetterMachine and "%ProgramFiles%\Clipboard Help+Spell" to circumvent this security to get these programs to still work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:12 AM by superticker »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Changing the default data (tree) directory
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 10:28 AM »
i am slowly adding the ability for all of my programs to be configured to use options stored either in their program directories or in docs and settings or user chosen directory.  the option is important for people who like to run the programs portably.  the feature has been added to screenshot captor and find+run robot.  i'll add it to the form letter machine too.