topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows CDBurning  (Read 10987 times)

howiem

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows CDBurning
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:08 PM »
Does anyone know of a program that can repair the Windows CD Burning function? The problem is that I am not able to write data files to a Lite-On CD/DVD combo.  I get an error 16389.

I think that something is messed up in the registry, because on my cloned Win xP Pro SP2 drive, I can write files to the CD, but on my main system I cannot.

I have uninstalled the driver, the hardware and reinstalled them.  I can get rid of the 16389 error, but  when I try to copy a file to the CD I get an error that Windows has encountered a problem and cannot copy the file.  No option but to cancel. 

The weird thing is that after encountering this problem for the past two weeks, I just tried a sendto and a copy and paste and neither operation got any errors, but I had no CD in the drive.  As soon as I put in a blank CD, the two files disappeared from 'files waiting to be copied' and I got the error again that windows was having a problem but no explanation.

I tried a couple of other CD burning programs but they did not work.  So I am looking for a way to fix the problem and have not been able to find a fix through web searches.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows CDBurning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 06:01 PM »
First: make sure the disk you're writing to is not a DVD disc - I don't think the built in Windows XP burning supports DVD media - I think they added DVD support for Vista.

If that's not the case, try this:

1) open the properties for the CD Drive (right click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and select Properties).
2) on the 'Recording' tab uncheck "Enable CD Recording on this drive"
3) Hit the Apply button
4) Check the "Enable CD Recording on this drive" box
5) hit OK

If that doesn't help, try enabling the IMAPI CD burning service (the following instructions are for Win Server 2003, but the same applies for WinXP):

http://www.petri.co...._in_windows_2003.htm

Finally, maybe fixing problems with ASPI drivers (some burning utilities use them) might help.  The Windows built-in CD burning facility does not use ASPI, but maybe if something else installed ASPI drivers and they got messed up somehow...

Adaptec ASPI drivers.  It also includes an 'ASPI Checker' program:

http://www.adaptec.c...pi/aspi_v471_exe.htm

Some people believe that Nero's ASPI driver is better than Adaptec's:

http://www.nero.com/...enu/ASPI_Driver.html

howiem

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:59 PM »
I've tried all of the above except the Nero driver, and still can copy a file to a CD.  I had Roxio 8 installed and removed it, and thought I cleaned up everything but maybe not.  I am going to try to reinstall it and see what happens. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:05 PM »
some people have had real problems with conflicts between cd burning apps on rare occasion (roxio maybe), so its possible that some leftover cd driver stuff might be interfering?

howiem

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:55 PM »
That's why I was hoping to find a program that would restore all the Windowss CD Burning settings.  It is not a big deal for me as I can always use the clone drive to make CDs.  I just reinstalled Roxio and when I put a blank CD-R in the drive it says there is no disk to format.  Appreciate all the suggestions, but for me it's not worth spending any more time on.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Somewhere buried on the Roxio support site (you can probably find it via their support forum) is a complete removal tool for the various Roxio apps. See if you can find it and follow any further directions that accompany it on the site. I had to do this about three years ago - it was not fun and I went with Sonic, who promply bought out Roxio! I'm with Ashampoo Burning Studio now...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:43 AM »
In case you decide to keep looking into the problem, here's an explanation of the UpperFilters and LowerFilters device driver registry settings, which are often the cause of CD related problems (especially with Roxio for some reason):

http://www.cdr-zone....forum/about4719.html

Caution: we're talking some serious low-level, kernel configuration stuff here.  Mucking around with that area of the registry can cause severe problems if something goes wrong - tread carefully.

howiem

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Tried all three of those filter tools (mainly to see what they do), but none of them worked on my PC.  After extracting them to %\Program Files\(Folder), I ran each one.  In each case the program would appear to run, but the interface only showed up for a second and then the program closed. 

When I try to drag a file to Roxio's Drag to Disc, I get an error that the dik is read only, and when I try to format the disk, I am told it cannot be formated.  So I tried Roxi's scandisk which said it would fix the problem.  After scandisk completed its task I could see files that I had tried to move to the CD a few days ago, so it looks like I can now burn data to CD.   I then ran the eval version of a program called CDCheck 3.1.12.0 (http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/) which had been finding errors, but now it did not find any. Now windows explorer shows both a CD Drive (which doesn't work) and a "Roxio" drive (which does work).So since something now works, I'd like to thank all of you for the help and siggestions, which nudged me into continuing the effort.