topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: musicIP (as a player): wow  (Read 34178 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: musicIP (as a player): wow
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 07:51 AM »
I spend some time Fixing tags the other day. MusicIP wanted to correct about 1000 mp3s. However some of the metadata it suggested was clearly bogus and I couldn't find any way to say mine was more accurate. OR convince MusicIP that its data was incorrect. For example it suggested IIRC that the genre of a song was a link to a forum. And it tried to change the artist "Airwave" into "Airwave 2" and "airwave 3" .

Also, I couldn't find any way of identifying why a particular track can't be analysed. I tried adding tag information myself so that it could be properly recognised but to no avail.

Apart from these very minor niggles I'm still using it for my day to day listening.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:53 AM by justice »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 08:49 AM »
I'm noticing some particularly high RAM usage playing a playlist at the moment. If I minimize musicIP to the taskbar RAM falls right off to below 2MB but then climbs inexorably until I minimize it again. I let it go to 66000K, minimized it, and after about 3 minutes it had climbed to 29MB. I maximized it again and it's still climbing past 60MB. It stops dead on 66028K and sticks there. I minimize it again and the process starts again. Seems a bit excessive (FWIW, VM/Private Bytes are at 73140K. Just minimzed it again and RAM went to 1600K and as I have written this sentence has crept up to 9000K. Anyone else seeing anything like this? Guess I'd better start posting in their users' forum!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 09:17 AM »
OK - an update to the above post: this only happens when I play a particular playlist!? The playlist contains nonDRM'd m4u files (rather than mp3) so I guess this is an issue related to format... Right, off to post about this in the musicIP Mixer forum!

whicken

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 12:08 PM »
I couldn't find any way to say mine was more accurate. OR convince MusicIP that its data was incorrect.

This should be improved, for sure - as it turns out, the way to give the feedback is to select the bogus items, and press the Delete key.  You'll get a popup where you can choose what feedback to send.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 04:45 AM »
I have estimated that, at ~ 20 sec analyzing each track, my >35000-track collection will take about 15 days to get fully analyzed at about 10hr of CPU per day (I want to use my computer for other things, mind you).

I still think that the most 'bang for your CPU buck' is after the initial scan (~ 1sec per track). Having phase 2 done takes a lot of CPU and it'll help you only with mistagged tracks (which is nice, but still). I might be wrong (please correct me if I am).

The mixing should be about as good before/after phase two.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2007, 04:49 AM »
Oh, for those considering going for the registered version, jump in!
The new power search features, moods, etc are really cool.

Basically, you can create a playlist that you really like, save it as binary mood, and send it to a friend. Even if he doesn't have the same songs, this binary mood will select similar ones from his library.

You can generate as many playlist from your library as you want using your mood settings.

There are many more features, but it seems that musicIP is one of the most under-documented applications out there. No wiki, no comprehensive help (just pages scattered over the site talking about different topics), some blog posts, and that's it.

Maybe we need to create a wiki?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2007, 02:26 PM »
For anyone who is interested in purchasing the premium version.  They are having a 40% off sale through Memorial Day (May 28).  Check out their blog for details: http://blog.musicip..../were-having-a-sale/

If you can't purchase now, I have arranged a 30% discount for members in the month of June, as well as some licenses to give away.

Carl
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:28 PM by cthorpe »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Note: I think the time it takes to analyze a track may depend on the size of your collection. I analyzed a ~460 ogg collection, and it was super fast. I wonder why that is. Again, the MIP forum is full of people reporting long analyzing times.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Because Vorbis is the best!

Or maybe the format has something to do with it. The OGG format is better designed than the MP3 one, which it doesn't have a container to begin with. All the ID3 tags is a hack, a clever and complex one, but a hack. I suppose it could also depend on the size. Did you try with FLAC, WavPack...?

I'm eager to try the program ;)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 01:54 PM »
Well, it is taking forever to analyze all my files, but then again I have over a month's worth of 24 hour a day music  :D

As Whicken, one of the dev team, points out above, you can start using the program as soon as the first stage of the analysis is over (took about 30 minutes on my machine, but keep in mind my huge collection and that I'm running a 866 P3 with 512mb ram and I was using the computer while it was processing).  Some tracks may show up as unmixable after the first pass if the tags are bad or in a strange format.  The second and third stages are where those tracks are analyzed.  You can put the analysis priority down to idle if you want, which I have done and I am just leaving the program running until it is finished.

musicip.pngmusicIP (as a player): wow

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Try this:

http://blog.musicip....preview-constraints/

Basically, the most powerful music search engine available to date.

PS: I agree, vorbis is the best lossy format, and I have converted my lossless format to ogg for my portable. I may have around 20gb of ogg alone.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 08:35 PM »
hmm, the more I play with musicIP, the more I like it. But as a player, it has many minor usability issues (that I'm reporting in their forum).

It feels like they may care only about getting good mixes -which is probably a very good goal-... but the player is really close to beating everything else out there! If only they put some more development time into the interface...

For example:

adding a new column to the playlist view will reset my carefully resized column witdth for exisiting columns. that should not happen.

Many central features have to be activated using the command line (e.g., replaygain!)

The tagging is really slow, and the editing screen is an usability blasphemy where one has to aim at checkboxes.

Normal things like making enter click the default button in a dialog box don't happen at all (example: box accepting artist corrections).

There are no way of 'accepting all years' in the 'tag fix' dialog... one has to click all suggestions one by one... doh!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 05:50 AM »
Many central features have to be activated using the command line (e.g., replaygain!)

This is retarded.

The tagging is really slow, and the editing screen is an usability blasphemy where one has to aim at checkboxes.

This changes depending on the format. For example, Vorbis tend to be slower than most, because the format by design doesn't implement a padding block. But if it also happens with FLAC or MP3, maybe they should think in using a external library, there are some OSS options that are quite good.

Keep reporting these things, this is getting interesting. May I suggest you to do a mini review?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 04:33 PM »
http://www.musicip.com/mixer/index.jsp version 1.8 is available.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2007, 08:05 AM »
1.8.1 beta fixes the problem with replaygain.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the MusicIP Mixer forum? Looks to me like it's been pulled... I am also no longer able to sign in to the website... Overall, I am suspicious about MusicIP Mixer's future - not much of anything has happened to it/with it in a year now.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Here you are, it was hidden in a sidebar :)

Doesn't look that dead to me, I mean they redesigned the website and all.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 05:50 PM »
http://forums.musici...php?&showforum=4

They revamped the looks of the site. Seem to have deals with hardware manufactures (samsa?).

But I agree the MusicIP player is mostly abandoned. A pity.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Thanks Lashiec and urlwolf. I'll head over there now to see if my "MusicIP Mixer as abandonware" gut feeling is correct or not!

whicken

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Definitely not abandonware - we are a bit later getting the new version out than I would've liked, because we've been working on some new stuff which I hope will be worth the wait.  We should also be announcing some extremely cool stuff in the next three months, but I can't say anything about that just yet...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Nice to hear from you, Whicken! Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that MusicIP Mixer is still under development  :Thmbsup: