topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Backup my Dial Up Network Setting (DUN) in WinXP  (Read 6111 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Backup my Dial Up Network Setting (DUN) in WinXP
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:31 AM »
My HomeCall (now Pipex) broadband install CD takes for ever to run, due to its fancy Shockwave animated menus. It is a pain to have to wait for it whenever I need to reinstall.

I can skip the process by installing the modem drivers manually, but then I also have to configure the DUN settings by hand.

None of this is rocket science, but takes at least as long as running the crappy install disk! So...

Is there a nice piece of freeware that will backup and restore my DUN settings with minimal fuss? Ideally with no install or even better using standard WinXP functionality

So far I found...

DUNDUP - which is in English, is free, and will sync DUN settings across a network, or import / export to a file. The negative is that it needs installing (though could possible just grab the exe for future use) and exports to a .pbk file (Windows Phonebook). I am unclear whether I need the DUNDUP software to restore these settings, or whether XP will handle a .pbk file on its own.

DUN-Backup - which is in German, is free and certainly backs up the DUN settings, possibly other things too. (My German is rudimentary, and tops out at 'please can I have directions to the train station'). The DUN settings are written to a .dat file, which would require DUN-Backup to import the settings.

Any other recommendations?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Backup my Dial Up Network Setting (DUN) in WinXP
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:17 PM »
there are a couple of network switching tools which may work
http://www.netswitcher.com/

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Backup my Dial Up Network Setting (DUN) in WinXP
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43 AM »
Maybe you could use a form-filler app to just go through the settings for you. I'd personally use KeePass since I pretty much will not use a computer without it installed (well, unzipped as it were).

Setting it up the first time would be a pain, but you could store your DUN username and password in there without worry, which would be nice.
The final result would be something like this (which I use to log into FTP sites in Directory Opus using it's "Quick Connect" option)...
Auto-Type-Window: FTP Connect - Directory Opus
Auto-Type:{URL}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}21{TAB}{SPACE}{TAB}{SPACE}{TAB}{USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{TAB}{TAB}

You'd probably have to make a few entries to make it work, but after the first setup you could probably go through the DUN setup wizard in 30 seconds...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:46 AM by Hirudin »