topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Software gone social? Wakoopa is quite clever  (Read 19636 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software gone social? Wakoopa is quite clever
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 02:37 PM »
It was a novelty I soon gave up on. Not enough to bother with really.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 11:54 AM »
i kind of have it on but sometimes it is just weird... right now it told me i have been using: 江民杀毒2007升级程序

I think it was my doing my tax return in taxcalc and i cant blame wakoopa - parts of the tax return are chinese to me!

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 12:01 PM »
I always give things the benefit of the doubt, but frankly wakoopa is only useful to the people who run it, giving them great stats that they can use to do press releases and reports on the popularity of platforms, sites and apps.

But you never know, i also didnt get this twitter noise thing early on, there might be some clever benefit over time.

Somehow I doubt the social aspect of wakoopa will be better in terms of discovering apps than a good old forum like this one.

:o this was my post 666 - maybe it says something about wakoopa  :D

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Just joined. Don't know how long I'll keep using it, but I kind of like the idea...mostly. It doesn't seem to be all that accurate, some programs are reported as something they are not, and the timers are way off (probably have to use if for a while for these stats to mean anything though).
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I have had people contact me through Wakoopa asking me what certain applications I use are or where to get them.

I have also done a lot to contribute to their repository of software information, adding application descriptions, tags, icon images, screenshots, making corrections, and writing short reviews for a lot of the software that I use.

With their latest version of the tracking software, it now includes web 2.0 application tracking (if you are using a supported browser), which currently is a bit of a mess and I have been pitching in and helping them sort that out too.

I get a certain amount of enjoyment out of contributing, in much the same way people enjoy making contributions to Wikipedia.

I always give things the benefit of the doubt, but frankly wakoopa is only useful to the people who run it, giving them great stats that they can use to do press releases and reports on the popularity of platforms, sites and apps.

That is not entirely true. As the community grows and people contribute to writing more reviews, it can be a good research tool even to those that don't run it. It can also be good for finding a download link for freeware that has "disappeared".