topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help!!! :)  (Read 5420 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help!!! :)
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Ok guys and gals, I have a strange request.  I am working on a system for a lady and without getting into a looong description of the problem it is missing a file called "userenv.dll".  This system is running Win98 SE and I desperately need that file.  I have searched the web and found versions but every one I have found are for NT based OSes, none for Win9x.  So, if you are running Win9x of any flavor and feel like it could you see if you have this file?  Would be MUCH appreciated.  My catch-all email address is: [email protected].  I post this in public to foil scrapers and such.  Thanks for any help!

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help!!! :)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I have Windows 98 SE on my vmware but cannot find any file with that name (hidden files shown).  :)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Thanks Wordzilla.  This is probably going to need to come from a system that is actively used with various software installed.  Wild thing is, I need this file to be able to properly uninstall the HP printer drivers on this system but the file does not exist in any form on the installation CD, nor is it in the Win98 cabs.  It was installed by something else entirely.  I have NO idea why the HP uninstaller requires this file if it didn't install it.  The only thing I can figure is that at some point something changed a component that the uninstaller uses and that changed component requires the file.  Sort of a middle man problem.  Weird stuff.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Get the missing dll here:

http://www.dll-files...-files.shtml?userenv

(click on the purple link 'Click here to go to the download of userenv.dll' in the middle)

The download is a zip with two files inside (readme.txt and userenv.dll), checked with Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 (Sign 042507)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Already tried that one Wordzilla, it is the WinXP version and is incompatible with Win9x.  Thanks for the help though!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52 PM »
Tekzel, according to this thread, there is no userenv.dll in Win 98SE but try googling for Microsoft-specific queries..

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 02:16 PM »
Tekzel, according to this thread, there is no userenv.dll in Win 98SE but try googling for Microsoft-specific queries..

I have already done google search after search and I had already started suspecting that that file does not exist for Win9x, but the weird thing is why is this Win98 system asking for it multiple times?!?! haha

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:05 PM »
Wild thing is, I need this file to be able to properly uninstall the HP printer drivers on this system but the file does not exist in any form on the installation CD, nor is it in the Win98 cabs.

A couple things.

First, If you are simply trying to uninstall, create a text file with jibberish in it and then renamed it to userenv.dll. It may be just looking for a file by that name and not care about date, size, etc.

Second, the unistaller may be determining what it needs to uninstall based on a .dat (or similar file). Trying identifying such a file in the applications root directory and removing that line from the file.

Third, it may be getting that information from the registry. Search the registry for userenv.dll and report what you find.