topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: envelope printing freeware?  (Read 18213 times)

mooncat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
envelope printing freeware?
« on: April 22, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Is there a basic free envelope printing program out there suitable for occasional personal use, not batch printing or label printing?  Shareware programs of the type seem relatively expensive but so far my web search has turned up nothing comparable in freeware. I'm hoping someone has had better luck.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: envelope printing freeware?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:37 PM »
Well, I found a few possibilities

Kurlo contact manager (Java) - http://www.kurlo.com/
From features list:

Print envelopes
Select from common envelope sizes or customized envelope sizes to print address lists and/or individual addresses

Quick Envelopes - http://www.ed-it.com/p_qenv.htm
From the website:

Your favorite Word Processor does envelopes!

So does QUICK EnvelopesTM! And it doesn't cost $395, you won't have to attend a two day seminar, you won't need wizard help, and you will not have to wait 3 minutes for it to load. Simply the easiest to use envelope printing you will ever use.

and finally
Envelope Wizard - http://www.freeware4...=showdown&id=118

This program will guide you through the steps, necessary for using your computer and printer for addressing an envelope. At each step along the way, you be asked to provide information for addressing the envelope. You may then proceed to the next step, if you find that you have made a mistake in a previous step, you can back up and redo it

Don't know how any of those work, but they may be what you need.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 03:50 PM »
You could always use OpenOffice Writer. Of course, that's overkill if all you need is an envelope program.

hawleyj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:48 AM »
I have used the Splinter Creek Envelope Wizard for a couple years and it works just great for my needs. It should do just what you ask. Someone already mentioned it and where you can get it (freeware4u) but since they hadn't used it I thought I would add my recommendation. I haven't tried Quick Envelopes but I do notice that it is a 2mb+ download while Envelope Wizard is a 212kb zip file. It also is very clean in that it has no installer - you just put it in a directory of your choice (Program Files / Envelope Wizard would seem an obvious possibility ) and create a shortcut to it. The only thing I have found to be a problem is that it will cut off address lines that are too long - it will show them in their entirety when you input them but truncate them when you print. I don't know at what length it truncates but it takes a pretty long line - I've only experienced it once or twice in which case I just split the offending line into two lines.
I looked for a free plain vanilla envelope printer for a long time before I finally found this one. I was suprised that there weren't more out there. I guess everyone just expects you to use your word processor to create envelopes but I find that a hassle. This one just did exactly what I needed - no more and  no less - and it was a small, clean program.

mooncat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Thanks to each of you for the help, but especially to hawleyj for directing me to the relatively obscure but excellent Splinter Creek Envelope Wizard. It worked perfectly the first try and was easier to configure and faster than the two shareware  downloads I tried which about 20.00 for the permanent license. Download available at http://www.freeware4u.com. This free app should be much more widely available on the Net.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05 PM »
cthorpe & hawleyj have unearthed a gem in Splinter Creek Envelope Wizard. i myself have been on a lookout for such a program but basically have given up since not many programs are up to the mark.. if only this program is in active development, it would have warranted a mini-review but since it's not, i'll just leave some of my comments here. :)

this program seems to have been completed in the year 2000 and true enough, the GUI is looks quite dated but however the app performs its tasks admirably. true to its name, the user is presented with series of questions before the actual printing takes place. it has the ability to save & retrieve addresses, even though i'm not sure about the maximum number. in any case, the documentation for this app comes in three formats - HTML, DOC & RTF while a "readme" file recounts some technical details of the program.

this program will be most useful for casual users like me who need to print envelopes once in a while and can't be bothered to grapple with all the codes and settings and since hawleyj had already highlighted some of the positives and quirks. there is no reason not to try this envelope wizard.

btw, Robert W. Keefe is credited as this program's author but there is no contact details. so, Bob if you're reading this - you have our deepest appreciation for such a simple & easy-to-use program. also, do register yourself at the DonationCoder.com to receive some well-earned DC credits..

Screenshots of the program

Choose envelope size
ws-screek-2.png

Key-in addresses
ws-screek-3.png

Special Instructions
ws-screek-5.png

Envelope Orientation
ws-screek-6.png

btw, to get a somewhat modern looking buttons, you can also throw a manifest file into the program folder.. ;) (but you have to remove .txt to use)
* EnvelopeWizard.exe.manifest.txt (0.64 kB - downloaded 775 times.)

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Only drawback I have in printing envelopes (regardless of app I use) is that the envelope gets "emossed" with the "V" from the back flaps when going thru my laser printer.  Not a showstopper, but I prefer to use window envelopes and I print the address on a piece of paper which carefully folded (got it down to a science) shows thru the envelope window.  If I had the need more frequently, I'd likely just get one of those little address label printers but I may do this once every month of so.