topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: KMPlayer and GOMPlayer  (Read 29019 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KMPlayer and GOMPlayer
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 04:43 PM »
...  my CCCP + Zoom Player ...

I am a little surprised by your (not quoted) wording, because Combined Community Codec Pack to my understanding was written for and comes with the very Media Player Classic! I am of course confident that the Zoom Player PRO is very capable too, but I believe it will not play the world's most common video file type: .FLV  ???

Edit: yes it can be made to, according to this page
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:57 PM by Curt »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 10:05 PM »
And what's this? Codecs included? Tell me about those

24 video codecs, none for audio formats - not even mp3.

Actually, ALShow plays OGG, MP3, and WMA as well. There are a few undocumented formats.

ALShow also will play FLV files - just get the codec from the ALShow Codec Center and you're good to go.

There are quite a few people that use ALShow as their MP3 player. For some reason they prefer ALShow to ALSong for music playback. Why? Not sure. ALSong is a much better music player as it's specifically made for that. (My favorite part of ALSong is the playlist - it's done RIGHT.)

For the Codecs Included thing — There are a lot of codecs included in the player directly, and when ALShow doesn't have the right codec, it can pop up a window to tell you what you need and help you download and install the codec. It really beats searching for codecs as it only takes about 1 minute to get the right codec installed and play the video then.

It's a very slick little player and the CPU usage is very low. Well, that pretty much goes for all ALTools - there's a lot of programming effort that goes into keeping resource usage as low as possible because we try to support older systems as much as possible. ALTools still support Windows 98 even! (I'm not very keen on supporting Windows 98, but we still do...)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 02:51 AM »
among others, one reason i like KMPlayer is that there is a no install, zip-only version that i can unzip into a thumb drive and carry it with me. if other media players followed suit then it'll be easier to try them out without a risk of messing with Windows' built-in codecs.. in short, portablility is a key factor for me.. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 05:58 AM »
... when ALShow doesn't have the right codec, it can pop up a window to tell you what you need and help you download and install the codec.

Half a year ago I only used my RealPlayer 10.5 and I would have been taken by surprise that this 'codec-help' should be a feature worth mentioning, because RealPlayer will do even more than that: Just click okay, and the codec is auto- downloaded & installed, and the number played.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:33 AM by Curt »

MAD

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 07:21 AM »
Another small issue is the subtitle engine: it won't properly play ass subs (don't laugh :P).
No problem. Have you enabled "External subtitle module"? (F2 - Subtitle Processing - Multiple Languages - Advanced tab).

KMP is the best video player, IMHO.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 09:52 AM »
I would soooo love to be able to post a dev. build here because the new stuff is just so good... Give me a little time and I'll come back with some goodies for the DC community!  :Thmbsup:

Actually, come to think of it, I should get them to push the version to v2... The new toys are far more than just a tiny addition.

Renegade, do you know what's happening with ALShow?