topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Keeping FARR open and on top  (Read 4503 times)

jerry4dos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Keeping FARR open and on top
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:34 PM »
I've been poking around the OPTIONS settings, and I'm so close to getting FARR set to operate just the way I want, I can't believe I can't find the last "perfect setting."

I have:
[check] NumPad keys launch results from search window
[no check] Close Window After Launch
[check] Always Maintain Focus

I want all launches to behave like I'd right-clicked, and selected "Launch and stay open."

It works perfectly if I launch with NumPad 1-9, but if I select anything farther down the list (scrolling + enter, or double-left-click) FARR immediately closes.  Can I keep it open and "on top" at all times?

(I found an old forum thread on this topic, July 2006, indicating FARR couldn't stay on top at all times -- but newer versions have come out since then.  Still not possible?)

A DIFFERENT QUESTION:

In v1.07.21, I could set OPTIONS so FARR wouldn't start automatically with Windows loaded, and I could start it with my own Shortcut key, and then it would completely unload itself after launching my selected program.

The newer versions, even if not set to start with Windows, leave a System Tray icon running after I once use FARR.  Any way of turning this behavior off? 

Thanks.

Jerry

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Keeping FARR open and on top
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:47 PM »
The newer versions, even if not set to start with Windows, leave a System Tray icon running after I once use FARR.  Any way of turning this behavior off?

yes, i think if you put the option -notray in the commandline arguments for your farr shortcut, it should exit for real and not stay in tray (this is a change in the way it used to operate).

I want all launches to behave like I'd right-clicked, and selected "Launch and stay open."

it seems to me that unchecking the option "close window after launch" would be smart to behave as you ask so i will make that so.

jerry4dos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:49 AM »
I'm not having any luck with the "-notray" switch and v1.13.02.  If I put -notray inside the quotation marks in the shortcut command line, Windows won't buy it.  It lets me put -notray AFTER the closing quotation mark, but the shortcut still just launches the System Tray icon.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:56 AM »
sorry i was wrong, the commandline switch to make it truly exit when you close it and not use the tray is:
-standalone

jerry4dos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 04:33 PM »
"-standalone" works perfectly!
Thanks.

jerry4dos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:10 PM »
OK -- so I just found this information about "-standalone" is in the HELP file -- but don't tell anybody I was looking in there, because real men don't use help files.

Or ask for directions when they're driving around lost.

Jerry