topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Plugin idea  (Read 5374 times)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Plugin idea
« on: August 28, 2005, 12:29 PM »
One cool idea for a plugin for CHS would be a removable media database.  There are programs that recreate a cdrom's directory structure so you dont have to put the cd in the drive to find out what files are on it.  Since CHS already has a database, it wouldnt take a lot of effort (said the layman looking from the outside, inward) to have CHS read a cd directory and store it in a database.  Just a thought!

In other news (or questions), how is CHS coming along mouser?  I know you're working hard on other programs, getting the liscence thingy working, and updating the site, so please dont take this question as an implication that you're slacking!  To the contrary, perhaps you need a break!  Just wondering how plans are shaping up for CHS and it's inclusion of a more generic database function. 

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Plugin idea
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 02:29 PM »
chs is going to get another round of work soon, first just to address the slowness and efficiency of it - which is clearly an issue as the database gets bigger. then i will begin in ernest implementing the quick paste and generic database functionality.  it's helpful to get a little distance from it in order to get a perspective on what works and doesnt.

i'm also cognizant of the fact that F&R and process tamer are the more popular apps on the site and has been waiting for some updates for a while, so i'm going to spend the next week or two upgrading F&R and doing some minor updates to the rest of the programs before i go back to major work on chs.

however i should say that i think using it as a removable media database would really be asking for trouble since there are so many truly excellent programs for this (whereisit as an example), and it's such a specialized task..

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Plugin idea
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 02:53 PM »
U2 may know this allready but

Cathy is a nice tool for such cataloging issues.
http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/

There is also an cmdline tool from Cathy.

on http://rvas.webzdarm...athyCmdAutoplay.html
you could learn how to integrade Cathy in XPs autoplay.

----- other Tools i found worth to store:
  Kat-CeDe from www.rbsoft.de/Kat-CeDe/kat-cede.html
----
  and on www.acc.umu.se/~max/ one could find MaxLister