topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: delicious and opera. Integreation  (Read 5052 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
delicious and opera. Integreation
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:27 AM »
Hi,
Since I returned to opera as my main browser, the one feature I miss from FF is the delicious plugin.

All solutions I tested for opera (buttons, etc) require you to dl the delicious tagging page and are slow as hell. It removes the joy of tagging. When I was using FF as my main broser, I created 54 pages of delicious bookmarks in a month! The integreation is really fast, you hit ctrl D and start typing tags. Meanwhile, in the background it loads tag suggestions, popular, etc.

When using opera buttons, I never got into tagging. Too many precious seconds went by waiting for the delicious page to load.

A good hint to have your delicious tag cloud handy as an opera panel is this one, but I want to speed up the tagging process.

There are many opera lovers (and productivity ninjas) in this forum. What are your solutions?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: delicious and opera. Integreation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:43 AM »
I'm with  you on this one.  I've been using Opera for a couple of months, and have had nothing but headaches with trying to use delicious.  If anyone has any suggestions, it would be worth some credits.

edit

I don't have an answer for getting popular, tag suggestions, etc.  But if you want fast bookmarking and tagging...

Ok, I hacked these bookmarklets together.  Both of them end up giving you a blank screen and you have to click Back to get back to the page that you were at.  Anybody have any ideas on that?

This one is just for tagging (just separate them with spaces):
javascript:(function(){t=prompt('Tags:');location.href='https://api.delicious.com/v1/posts/add?description='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)+'&tags='+escape(t)+'&url='+window.location.href;})()

This bookmarklet will set the description of the link to any text that you have highlighted on the page when you hit the bookmarklet and will ask for tags.  If you don't have any text selected, it will use the page title like the code above:
javascript:(function(){d=document.getSelection();if(!d)d=encodeURIComponent(document.title);t=prompt('Tags:');location.href='https://api.delicious.com/v1/posts/add?description='+d+'&tags='+escape(t)+'&url='+window.location.href;})()

I started with the bookmarklets from http://www.quickonli...okmarks-to-delicious and went from there.

Another edit

Here's one that doesn't go to a blank page and make you hit Back.  Instead, it opens a little blank window that you can just close:
javascript:(function(){d=document.getSelection();if(!d)d=encodeURIComponent(document.title);t=prompt('Tags:');open('https://api.delicious.com/v1/posts/add?description='+d+'&tags='+escape(t)+'&url='+window.location.href,'delicious','toolbar=no,width=100,height=100')})()

I have CTRL D shortcut to the bookmarklet, so it's fast, fast, fast/

Last edit, I swear

This one asks for tags, gets the description from the title or any selected text, pops a small window into an unfocused tag, and closes that small window after 10 seconds.
javascript:(function(){d=document.getSelection();if(!d)d=encodeURIComponent(document.title);t=prompt('Tags:');setTimeout('TheNewWin.close();',10000);TheNewWin=open('https://api.delicious.com/v1/posts/add?description='+d+'&tags='+escape(t)+'&url='+window.location.href,'delicious','toolbar=no,width=100,height=100');TheNewWin.blur();})()

Carl

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:56 PM by mouser »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:37 AM »
What I just found out is that you can go import your delicious bookmarks into Opera and then weed out duplicates with Am-deadlink:

Login to delicious
go to settings -> export / backup
save the html to your desktop
Opera -> file -> import -> netscape bookmarks
They ended up for me under personal bar -> netscape bookmarks -> bookmarks

I cant' have it save any tags yet, but handy for syncing all bookmarks.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:00 AM »
I don't understand the the big need for integration, regardless of platform--to me it's working backwards.  The way I see it:

The advantage to storing bookmarks online is global access regardless of platform, no need to copy data from one place to another--it's all at your fingertips.  They can be brought closer by simply setting up a custom search that queries your bookmarks -- then they're as close as your search bar.

If you're anything at all like me, you've accumulated thousands of bookmarks -- most of which are just things that piqued your interest that yo may or may not ever look at again, while a select few are frequent/daily visits.  In the case of the former, ready access isn't imperative.  In the case of the latter, frequent change isn't necessary a consideration.

SO, the bulk links that you may or may not revisit needn't be ever-hanging in your browser slowing things down when, on the off chance you want one of them, you can quickly search to find it (Which I've come to much prefer over trying to remember where in a hierarchy of menus/folders/tags I buried it).  The frequent ones I do keep locally -- mostly bookmarklets, but it's a seldom changing cast of links that don't need to be frequently synced.

Obviously I'm missing something here, as a lot of people wand their del.icious browser-synced -- but as near as I can figure, it's a matter of "knowing" they're synced without any clear advantage.  I mean, it's not like being able to see your menu offline is going to help when the links are all online . . . What am I missing?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Hi Allen,

In my case, I don't care to have my browser bookmarks synchronized.
I want to completely replace the silly tree of bookmarks with the most efficient tag-based system at delicious.

With the right plugin (there are several), FF can do just that, use delicious INSTEAD of its own bookmark system. If you really want, you can do tag groups that work like clusters/folders. This is a collection of tags, so the same link may show up in more than one collection -which is the right thing!-.

In the end, I gave up FF/delicious integration for a simpler, faster Opera. Mainly reloading pages from cache (when hitting back), Opera is ridiculously fast! and this is something that makes my interactions with the web more fluent. so FF is out.

I still miss delicious, though.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Well, you can input your own tags in the 'Description' field of Opera's bookmarks entries. Then Ctrl+H and type to show the page you want. This is something that Firefox could do, but developers were (apparently) very lazy to implement it. It's slated for Firefox 3, although they're reinventing the wheel (as always) with an idea very similar to the Delicious extension that Carl mentioned some time ago.

Of course, with Opera you can't get the nifty tree that the Delicious extension have, but it's better than nothing.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:00 PM »
@Lashiec,

ctrl + H hides my opera. Maybe you have assigned that to some other action?
I don't really get what you are saying. I'm sure you don't want to hide opera after entering tags, right?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Errr, let me check this up... um, OK, it's Ctrl+2 to activate the bookmarks panel, or you can use the mouse to do the dirty work...

...Ctrl+H effectively hides Opera, and in other browsers, it shows the History panel :-[

At least I hope you understood the rest :)