topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: About signing up to download freeware license keys - READ IN PLEASE  (Read 233589 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: About signing up to download freeware license keys - READ IN PLEASE
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 08:13 AM »
 :) :) nice to see someone who has been waiting for the day as if it were a birthday :) :)

It's probably just my data calculation is off by one day and it should kick in by tomorrow i'm guessing.  But i'll send you the license by email.

snake6944

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am a new user.
I follow the procedure to paste the key but in vain due to bad key. I tried many times and confirmed start with *r. The key is generate by Flipbook Printer.
Please help and many thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
one thing i noticed that trips people up is that the page to generate free keys has a different link for each program.. make sure you are generating the right key for the program you are trying to put it into.

email me for more help: [email protected]

sithram

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello!

I try to copy+paste license key in about box > Enter New License Key Information of Screenshot Captor, but always it shows a window with error: Error: Bad License Key syntax. Error in License Key text syntax -- please check that you copied+pasted the entire license key begining with *r. I try obtain the license from serveral links of the page... What can I do?

Thanks a lot!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This help page now has an actual screencast movie now which walks through the steps of putting in a license:
https://www.donation...er.com/Help/entry/1/

A couple things that seem to trip people up:
  • Make sure you select all of the lines of the license starting with *r1 (the license key is several lines long)
  • If you are using a non-donator license key, make sure you clicked on the link to generate the license key for the right program [many people see the list of license keys and instinctively think they are mirror links that are all the same, but for non-donators you have to select the right license key for the program you want].

sithram

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!!!! I try several links but not right "Screenshot Captor"  :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for letting me know what it was -- clearly you are not the only one this happens to -- I shall try to make it clearer on the page so people are less likely to make that mistake.  :up:

raymor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I followed your process to post the key and I get a message that the key is bad.
I was sure to copy it in full and made sure there were no spaces or carrage controls at the end.
Is the key bad or what?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi raymor --
there is a video and more help here: https://www.donation...er.com/Help/entry/1/

most often i find that the problem people make when downloading the free license keys, is they download a key for the wrong program from this page:
https://www.donation...r.com/Keys/index.php

so make sure you downloaded the key for the program you are using.  you can email me if you need more help ([email protected])

anazelda

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Preciso muito da licença. :huh: :huh:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
anazelda: Vai a https://www.donation...r.com/Keys/index.php, e podes fazer download da licença lá e pôr on programa.

nicklettin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Mouser,

I do feel that many of the posters on this page, and presumably other pages in this thread are missing the point. Even if they're not, they could certainly use a few lessons in politeness and courtesy. I know you spend a hell of a lot of your time writing these applications and I think the vast majority of us, (including me), are extremely grateful that you allow your software to be available at no cost whatsoever. For that I'm more than willing to jump through a couple of hoops in order for me to be able to use software which for now I can ill afford to pay for. I would quite understand it after seeing some of the replies here if you were to just stop doing this and either charge for your products or just make them unavailable, full stop. Find And Run Robot and Process Tamer I have found to be very useful and to be able to add them to my arsenal of programs at no cost is certainly worth jumping a couple of hoops for, to which end, I am now jumping to the licence key page. :)

Just for anyone who is still thinking of giving this generous individual (namely Mouser), a hard time, don't. He has made it quite clear in various locations around the website that a donation is voluntary. Voluntary means it isn't mandatory to make a donation, it is entirely up to you whether you do so or not, so I'm sure it would be very much appreciated by Mouser, and every other reasonable member of this forum, that the verbal abuse and stupidity ends right now. Some common courtesy doesn't cost anything either yet despite the authors of these programs making their software available for nothing, that doesn't mean they can be yelled at and have demands made of them. If you can't say anything pleasant then don't say anything at all. Keep it shut!  >:(

Finally, thank you Mouser for everything you do as it must be a pretty thankless task sometimes and I'm sure there are some instances where you wonder why you ever bothered.

Ok, I'm off to the licence page now  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 09:16 PM »
:) :)

Welcome to the site nick, and thank you for the nice words -- i hope you'll hang around on the forum and join us in discussion.

Truth be told, I can understand the frustrations of someone who just wants to get back to working on their computer and doesn't want to have to deal with license keys, etc.  So whenever i read someone posting here out of frustration, i feel their pain.. i have a very low frustration tolerance threshold, and as anyone can attest who has heard me cursing on the donationcoder irc chat channel, i sometimes get furious at the simplest things (like misplacing a file, etc.).

DC isn't perfect.. But it's something where I believe our heart is in the right place, and we are trying to do something a little different, and we are trying to be good internet citizens and move in the right direction with our limited resources, and we are trying to have fun doing it, and trying to spread that fun around a bit :)

Actually it's nice posts like yours, and all the interesting and cool people on the forum and who sometimes write me, that keeps my love for the site growing, and makes this place like a second family for me.

nicklettin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41 PM »
No problem at all Mouser and thank you for your welcome. Actually, I've just checked my profile not a minute ago and discovered that I've actually been a member since May. :o I had no idea it had been that long yet this is the first post I have made.  :P Looks like I like your software so much I didn't need to post anything  :-[

In view of the somewhat negative responses you have so far received in this thread it appears to me that you are largely unfazed by it and your understanding of the motions needed to generate a licence are commendable at the very least. I think I would have "gone into one" if I were in your place so maybe it's a good thing I'm not.  ;D I would also dare to suggest that I would suspect that the number of donations you receive are probably fairly minimal in proportion to the time and resources you spend on all your software, not just writing brand new software of course but re-writing and updating existing applications. Presumably you do this as well as hold down a full time job since I would imagine you wouldn't be able to exist on any monies you receive for DC.

FARR is certainly worthy of a donation and I'm only sorry that I cannot provide one just now. I have used several program launchers in recent years but this is one of the easiest to use, not requiring one to add the program links manually, instead, scanning the system and putting them in place automatically. Ok, so there are several launchers that approach things in a similar way but for one reason or another when another one comes on to the scene I will try it to see if it's any better than the one I used before. I don't think I've seen anything yet to persuade me to use it instead of FARR so thank you for making it available to the masses and thank you indeed for all the effort you put in, probably at a cost to yourself which is possible I suppose you don't always get back.

Anyway, I've waffled on enough I think ;D but thank you again for your welcoming message and I must make sure I come in here a bit more often lol.

PS Actually, one small question if I might be permitted. I don't know if it was just me being incompetent and pathetic ;D or whether it is an "issue", but when I tried to copy and paste the product key for FARR I got an error saying it was a key for different program. At the time I was using Chrome so I wondered whether it was a compatibility issue. In order to get the key I had to revert to an IE based browser, is this something you're aware of or am I being a total idiot?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:47 PM by nicklettin »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50 PM »
DC now more than pays for the substantial hosting costs we have (we pay like $370 a month now with our main and member servers), and brings in a steady but small stream of donations, which is actually more than i ever hoped for.  You can read my write up about DC after our first year here.  But as you say a very very very small proportion of users ever donate, post on the forum, etc.  [as an aside, the suffering economy does not seem to have greatly impacted the number of donors, but it has resulted in lower average donations].  I should write a follow up to that article.  Anyway to answer your question -- DC was never meant to be a company that turns a big profit, it was just hoped that it would be sustainable.  While donations on DC help me a bit, i rely on income from freelance programming to pay my bills.  So if anyone ever wants to hire me, drop me a line. . :)

nicklettin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 10:02 PM »
How lovely to get a response from you so quickly, thank you. It's about 4 am here so I've no idea where you stand time zone wise in the general scheme of things, it's probably early where you are. ;D

Thank you for the link as well to your article about DC. I must definitely have a look at that tomorrow, or as it is for me, later today  ;) Yes, you confirmed what I had suspected that the income from DC wouldn't be nearly enough for you to live on but reelance programming is very lucrative isn't it? So I suppose DC is more of a hobby than anything, would that be a realistic assumption? It's probably a bit more than that actually given the time you have to spend with it. The failing economy has presumably had a big impact on your freelancing has it? I would suspect that some smaller companies who might have availed themselves of your services have cut back on things and made do with what they currently have. This is probably wild speculation on my part but everyone of course is having to cut back wherever they can and that is no less the case in IT.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Lucrative is not the word i would use ;D

I'm not really all that interested in money -- it would be nice not to live month by month but the main thing for me is the freedom and flexibility I have in choosing projects and working hours (i seem to have a defective internal clock which makes it hard for me to resist being awake at night).

And one of the nicest things about DC for me is that i have some control over how much time i spend on my DC software and when.  In general i go through periods where i work intensely and full time on my DC programs.. but then when i have a paid project i am allowed by the fine people here to take some time off and just do minor updates every once in a while.  It's one of those things that makes DC a joy to participate in.

ps. We should probably wrap up this diversion on this thread since we are getting pretty off topic!

nicklettin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 10:42 PM »
Yes, of course, my apologies for erm, threadjacking. Thank you for your responses nonetheless and as for faulty body clocks, oh man, that's why I'm still in here at 4.40 in the morning lol.  :'(

So, I'll just sum this up by saying that at least you get a certain enjoyment and satisfaction out of DC and you've found a way to make it work for you as well as fitting your other commitments around it.

Thanks again for your time in writing to me and answering my questions and aplogies to other members for wobbling on so much.  ;D

tintine

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2009, 12:39 PM »
* R1;   alors que le message me dit que la clé d'activation doit commencer par *r.
j'ai essayer beaucoup de fois mais rien ne change pour introduire la clé d'activation pour flip book printer
merci de votre aide

HFTST

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 08:14 AM »
Ok,  seeing your process of getting the licence key i've decided to put "process tamer" in the trash box.
Think your complete crazy.
bye.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 05:27 PM »
tintine,
maybe this french translation of the help page on entering our license key will help:
http://translate.goo...&sl=en&tl=fr

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Ok,  seeing your process of getting the licence key i've decided to put "process tamer" in the trash box.
Think your complete crazy.
bye.

No doubt you won't be back to read this, but thank you for the best laugh I've had all week!

(Some people's children... Darwin shakes his head in disbelief).

vetteman65

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010, 02:54 PM »
What a huge pain in the ass the regestration process is!?!?! Is there any possible way you could make it MORE complicated? Please? So that I will not be tempted to download any more of your programs.  I just deleted all references to it in my computer.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I know we have a long way to go to make the site more user friendly.  I apologize for any frustration. It's hard to balance all of the issues and still find time to code.. Often the thing that gets left for last is making the website more easy to use.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2010, 03:44 AM »
Yes, it would probably be a lot easier with a simple Payware-button and $49.95 for each of mouser's programs...  :-\