topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vista 32bit & 64bit compatibility needed  (Read 9309 times)

mrstarr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vista 32bit & 64bit compatibility needed
« on: March 05, 2007, 02:39 PM »
The Processtamer interface seems to run fine under Vista 32bit, with one exception: 

When you double click on it in the tray bark, the ProcessTamer window opens, lowers processes per the rules, then where it says "Tamer Tray" it changes in about 2 seconds from a green "RUNNING" to a red "NOT RUNNING".

Repeating this process does the same thing:  window opens up, says running, then in 2 seconds switches back to "not running".

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vista 32bit & 64bit compatibility needed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:23 PM »
hmm.. im going to have to look into this and see if i can reproduce it and figure out what might be causing it.  Thanks for the report and stay tuned for a solution.  don't hesitate to email me ([email protected]) if i forget!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:13 AM »
I experience the same problem, and I am not sure if ProcessTamer is running at all at that point! Because I have never seen the balloon tooltip pop up.

However, if we run ProcessTamer as an administrator via the shortcut properties it runs fine and the issue NOT RUNNING is gone.

However, as ProcessTamer runs continuously from startup due to the increased security from Windows Defender (i think?) it requires user input to start process tamer as all software ran with administration priviledges is blocked from starting automatically.

A minor annoyance, nothing more, but this info might help solve the problem for you.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:46 AM »
Any solution in sight yet? As I am no longer running windows defender for performance reasons I will test processtamer in admin mode again.

mrstarr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vista 64bit weird little nigggling bug
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:19 PM »
In Vista x64, the GUI and tray appeared to be running 'fine', however it never would tame anything...  its core process lowering function would never kick in.  Even at constant 100% cpu usage.   First I changed the Shortcut properties in Startup:Process Tamer to run as Adminstrator .

Then I realized the "CPU Usage Measurement Smoothing Over Time" slider bar was set way to the right (like at 75% of 100), which meant it would take a LOOONG time to react and ever kick in, so I slid it back towards the left about 15% of 100.   

Not sure if this is a default setting under Vista, but if so, it needs to be checked why it is set wrong by default, and set to a much lower value like during other (XP) installs. 

I thought perhaps maybe it may have been an old preference file that was left behind from a previous install, but I doubt it, because if so I would of had the "Run High Priority" checkbox set, "Run at Windows Startup" set, etc.  which were not... not to mention I wouldn't have put that slider bar so far to the right because I understand what it does.   So if during an uninstall Process Tamer deletes the preference file, and recreates it during a new install, this needs to be checked under Vista x64 and figured out what weird little bug makes it set the Smoothing Window Slider bar so far to the right.

This is probably some weird little niggling bug, that crops up during a Vista install, or a Vista x64 install.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:52 PM by mrstarr »