topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Managing Favourites  (Read 26397 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Managing Favourites
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Nudone, thanks for bringing up that "right click" bit about Spurl.
I'll have to try Maxthon again.
Do prefer Firefox over Max and Opera for excellent Adblocking (extension readily available).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 04:30 PM »
at some point, dan, i'm going to have to try firefox properly - with the right extensions.

i'll perhaps have to do this but i'll offer it up for anyone else that is willing - how about a review comparing the abilities of maxthon and firefox?

okay, i'm sure firefox has more extensions - but maxthon has quite a few 'extra' features straight out of the box.

any other maxthon users around here (i remember Carol being a fan)?

rrtwister

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Maxthon rocks. I cannot believe I put up with plain ole IE for so long.
I have an excellent memory.....now what was I saying ???

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Maxthon fan? More like worshiper! ...and Maxthon has plenty of Plug-ins, but I'm just not that type of guy ;)  I would also have to say maxthon did a stellar job of blocking ads for me, even before i added ad muncher to the mix.

Maxthon plug-Ins - http://maxthon.tarapages.com/

I just don't have the patience to chase down extensions for Firefox (and then again every time the version changes wait for updates) to make it what i want it to be.  Plus by the time I have the 10-12 extensions that make me somewhat happy the browser has slowed down & taken up too many resources for me.  But I'm not hating on it, I still use it from time to time. Opera isn't capable of what I'm looking for (Roboform support & more customizable toolbars).....yet.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 05:57 PM »
glad to hear it guys.

what with all the talk of firefox recently i was beginning to wonder if i was deluding myself.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 06:58 PM »
Maxthon is a wonderful IE addon!  Consumes very little ressources but will it still compete with the next IE7?

Firefox 1.5 (and new Thunderbird email client) will now upgrade automatically and hopefully all the extensions too!  Even Maxthon has to upgrade its' plugins with newer versions and that always take a bit of time.

My hunch is, with the Google/Mozilla love affair, we will be seeing a much more performing and shiny Firefox than ever!  :Thmbsup:

But i do like to dabb with newcomers like Flock (Mozilla based) and other changes in the browser world.

BTW,
Adblocker for Firefox does not leave an "ad blocked" sign anywhere with no empty spaces (where ads would be).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 07:03 PM »
i agreee with dan, i think google is looking like they are getting involved/invested with firefox BIG TIME, which should lead to some serious continued development of firefox.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 08:36 PM »
Thanks Mouser!

I'm not trying to push Firefox on anyone.  It just seems that i always come back to it.
I've seen it grow over the years all the while IE was sitting there doing practically nothing to improve itself!
Therefore my sympathy for Maxthon, Opera, Avant, Flock, etc. has always been growing too!

There are still quite a few good Favourite Managers out there (saw MSN come up with one today) for free!   8)
http://www.linkagogo.com has its' charm (a bit flashy for my tastes).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 09:01 PM »
well i am one of those people having a hard time migrating to firefox just because I'm used to something else, but i can see its got some fantastic features and expect to be moving to it as my main browser soon.  i do think that google's decision to marry up with firefox virtually guarantees that firefox is going to be getting better and better with the increased financial support (will there be downsides to google's involvement? i don't know).  but it does mean that firefox is probably only going to get better and better in terms of stability, security, and features.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 02:33 AM »
looks like a may as well bite the bullet and go the firefox way  :-\

jroad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and comments on using spurl with Maxton.  I'll give it a whirl when I get a chance.

i'll have to try xrayz.co.uk - i imagine it's a similar thing to spurl???

LinkStash is a windows client application similar to some of the other favorites managers.  I found it used less resources than some of the alternatives, had a reasonable UI, and generally liked the way the search works.   Also, it has good import/export features: IE/Firefox/Opera/HTML.

One thing that keeps me from really liking LinkStash is when I want to bookmark the Maxthon tab I am looking at.  If I have multiple tabs open and I want to save the current one, I have to click a drop down to unselect all the tabs, then scroll through the listing window (which resizes to an odd size on my setup) and select it.  Granted, maybe there is a workaround that I don't know of.

By the way to get LinkStash to work with Maxthon:
Tools -> Options -> Browser...Set preferred browser to NetCaptor and  then point the NetCaptor browser option to the maxthon.exe

Regarding browsers, I ran a test the other day comparing Maxthon 1.5, Opera 8.1, and Firefox 1.5.  Firefox used about 120MB of ram while running half the tabs as Maxthon.  Maxthon used around 30MB and Opera was somewhere in the middle.  If I understand, Maxthon may utilize the explorer.exe process but even combined, the usage was much lower.  Maxthon with it's adblocking + my recently acquired-at-a-discount (Thanks DCC) Admuncher pretty much take care of any unwanted ads.  Also, I notice the latest version of Maxthon has an integrated beta online bookmarking tool (donation req'd.) that seems interesting.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 03:02 PM »
as i understand it there is currently heated discussion going on over the memory use of firefox, and i think people are trying to address it.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2005, 07:14 AM »
Jroad,

Scot has some notes on the ressource problem in Firefox
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/75.htm
Best to stick with 1.0.7 as he stated (for now).

Bookmarks search speed is also one strong point in Firefox (and Opera which is more accurate IMO).

A handy tool to make sure all your bookmarks are still "alive" is to get www.aignes.com AMDeadlink freeware.  You can have it insert those small colourful icons to your bookmarks too!