topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 2:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Do you think LAN play is important?

Yes
No

Last post Author Topic: Maze Craze - Fun 2D game by Wreckedcarzz  (Read 86292 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maze Craze - Fun 2D game by Wreckedcarzz
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2007, 11:41 PM »
That would still be fun - its not like it labels your vote or anything

Ill set it up in a few

Update: There we go (obviously I checked the last option as I know all the tricks so I can reach the end easily ;D)

Update 2: I am posting yet again another version on the site momentarily - you do not need to update unless you want to. It is simply an icon update.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:00 AM by wreckedcarzz »

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2007, 12:44 AM »
I have now created the icon, I believe Brandon has updated it with the game, I plan on preparing a brand new completely revamped graphics pack, and a brand new shiney flash site (if real life doesnt get in the way).
-- Walt
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The NEW enemys
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Hello all,
  Quick update, luckily life has allowed me to finish the two main areas of concern graphics wise, the cars have been replaced, with real monsters, and now a new threat, the not so long awaited...lasers!  Below is a preview of what they both look like.  The monster will actually face the way hes moving, and lasers are gonna be a new obstacle making the game even more difficult if it wasnt already.  So feast your eyes on the unamazinglyness (is that a word) of my creations!
 The goofy (and cheery),
Walt
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2007, 11:44 PM »
Hello all,
  With great grief, I must inform you, I am no longer a part of the Maze Craze development team.  I had a great time designing graphics for the game.  But, my own game is in its development.  Myself and James Tapner have formed a small team called 'Blazin' Productions'.  We are a fairly new team, but are in development of our new 3d first person shooter 'Blitzkrieg' also know as 'lightening war'.  The game will not be hosted here, but on a seperate site, most likely www.blazinproductions.com

With this notice, I will be less active on the forums, I never was very active, but I would post if I saw a reason to.  I will post a link when we upload the beta release of Blitzkrieg here for everyone, a link will also be posted on the official Maze Craze site.

With this, I say thank you, this is one of the rare forums I actually felt wanted and needed at.  I love the time I spent helping develop maze craze, I only grief that it couldn't have been longer.  I can't thank you enough, once again I give my dearest apologys and thank yous.  I hope to be back soon, but I don't foresee it happening.  Thank you  :)
  Sincerely,
Walt Winstel

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2007, 11:46 PM »
Quick (or not) update...
Walt is leaving the Maze Craze team to make another game with one of his friends - he is still working on it for another week or so to allow me to get 2.3 out and available (it is mostly done already). This now means that I have some competition to work with so I expect to be giving out more frequent and larger updates to keep up with his game (from what I have been told its a fast-paced 3D shooting game). I won't be changing Maze Craze much at all (3D, huge overhauls of the game, etc) unless people want me to do so.
Anyways...
Maze Craze 2.3 is coming soon, just wanted to give everyone a preview. It takes a couple of Windows Vista program windows and uses them as menus, as does the website (http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/). I have (obviously) edited them to reflect the game and it seems to work seamlessly. 2.3 is named Maze Craze "Vista" Edition because of the menus and the existing color scheme (conveniently, being similar to Vista).

If I could get a couple people to look at the new site and tell me if its good or not that would be great - as well as any other suggestions/input/ideas. The Maze Craze site has the contact page if you don't want to PM me here on the forum.

Thanks all,
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2007, 08:46 PM »
OK, as much as I want to make this update bigger, I think it is a good one as-is and am going to go ahead and release it. Everything (seems) to be working properly, however I was not able to get the LAN/Internet play setup.

You can get the new version 3 ways...

Click this link: http://mazecraze.dci...mazecraze_latest.exe
Go to http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/ and click the download area (where it says "Download the latest version" - just click that)
Use your updater (new version soon, hopefully) and it will download the latest version

Hope everyone enjoys it!

-Brandon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2007, 08:55 PM »
i like the old website better.
i think you need a screenshot on the homepage also.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2007, 10:57 PM »
 :( The old site went down with my recent reformat, but I will be doing a few little changes to make it look less...text-based I guess is how I would refer to it. Ex: Putting a download arrow/ball/something is one of my tasks.

I added a screenshot, but just a note to everyone that if you don't want to lose the surprise of seeing what Level 35 looks like (the 2nd to last level at this point) then ignore anything below the top "window" on the website. The site looks best in 1280x1024 or above, otherwise you may have to scroll to see it all.

(FYI: Maze Craze will not go above the 1024x768 resolution unless everyone (that votes/is active here) votes that their computer goes above that one).*

* See below question

Question for opinions/ideas: Would it be more interesting if all levels above, say, 40 (so 40 to 50) were only visible for a short distance from the ball (to make it less of a pathfinder and more of a maze)?
To explain, it is like the game camera is positioned directly over the ball (like it is now). However the camera is zoomed in to show only...350x350 pixels. So it follows the ball but you cant see very far away. This would enable MUCH larger mazes and would remove the pixel by pixel restriction. I experimented with it and it isn't very hard to do, so just want to know what people think of the idea.

Please give me your opinion on this, I think it will be a cool way to aid the difficulty of the game and make it more exciting.
:up: To include it in a test-game and see how it works
or
:down: to just ignore it altogether.
(Vote in the poll above)

Thanks for the input mouser, I totally forgot about a screenshot :-[
Look for small updates to the site soon
-Brandon
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:00 PM by wreckedcarzz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2007, 12:19 AM »
you could throw in crazy stuff like that camera, on a few levels near the end maybe, but im not sure it would be good for all levels.  if you upload a demo ill try it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2007, 12:20 AM »
level 35 looks fun -- if i had one request/suggestion for maze craze it would be to keep introducing a new kind of object every certain number of levels.  my favorite part of the game is when cars were first used, and i keep hoping to see a new kind of object in a subsequent level..

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2007, 12:59 AM »
OK I will setup a demo one and have it up tomorrow or Thursday

I have lasers that are going to be added I am just not sure where to add them in - expect them in the next little update though.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2007, 05:09 PM »
OK, the Maze Craze Camera Beta 1 is available below. When you open it it explains itself, but basically its Maze Craze (just a revamped Level 1) in a 240x240 window and you have to navigate through it. More challenging and interesting, and the small size great if the boss is walking by ;D. This isn't a full version, but it should still be a quick couple minutes of fun. Post opinions for :up: or :down: in the poll at the top. All votes will be reset so if you voted to see it first then you can now vote for yes or no.
Link: http://mazecraze.dci...ze Camera Beta 1.exe

Enjoy!
-Brandon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2007, 07:20 PM »
i tried it -- it's a very cool effect but i think it makes playing harder and less enjoyable for me.
could definitely be a nice effect in a dungeon game though.. i wouild also make it scroll before you get so close to the edge, right now you dont have any chance to see where you are going before it appears within a few pixels of you.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Yea the idea is more difficulty, but it still should be fun. I can't make it "scroll" (I don't think) but I could expand the window's size to allow a larger distance that you can see around the ball. If I do put it in it will probably just be the last few levels (40 to 50, for example) so you are at least (very) used to playing the game before reaching that point. I will play around with it and see if I can make it scroll like you said once I get a chance (just installed Debian, and having some strange problems). The next version will, if all goes well, be out in about 2-3 weeks (updating a few things that should have been added long ago).
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Hello all,
I am :)VERY:) happy to announce that it appears I will be able to have a more professional manner of downloading the game, as I have contacted a couple people at Headlight Software (http://www.headlightinc.com/) and explained what I have been doing (making Maze Craze) and, amazingly, they have very generously given me a free license for their new program GetRightToGo. If anyone here has used the GetRight download manager then you will be familiar with the simple interface. This should help out those who multi-task and mainly those on dial up, as you can pause and resume your downloads easily. I am planning to have it ready for the next release, but no promises. :)
-Brandon

Edit: I updated the game itself a bit, mostly internal stuff, and posted the new download/updater in place of the direct link (so now just run the program from your computer and it will download the update). Unless you want to, there is no real need to download this update. It fixes the readme a bit, some version problems, adds 2 Dual Player levels, and a couple more fixes. Nothing big (yet).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:57 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Well, I have some bad news...
Seeing as I am going on vacation in about 10 days, and the fact that I can't get hold of my friend Rion who told me he would make me some more levels over the summer, I am going to attempt to get a few good levels up and make some improvements soon. I will have a new version up by the time my summer ends (3 weeks max). I am trying to get 50 single and 25 dual player levels, but its not really easy having to make a new idea for each level, that works with the last and the next, and gets increasingly difficult. The next version will have at least 45 single player and 15 dual player levels, guaranteed however.
Sorry for the delay,
-Brandon

EDIT: I have re-done the graphics (yay!) as I wasn't happy with copying work I did not do, so the graphics are all new and I think they look good. I have kept the same old Red-on-Black theme, and will update the site soon. This version also will now feature a couple things I did on-the-fly...
Aside from more levels, I plan to tune the little Player Assistant (or maybe simply remove it) and I have already made the buttons "pushed" when clicked. There might also be lasers in this version, I am unsure at this time.
-Brandon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:29 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2007, 05:53 PM »
OK I launched the updated site here http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/ and I am not really sure if its better or worse...I personally like it but I wasn't sure what to do and took a gamble. All the graphics are made by me (except the Made with Nvu button) in mspaint (Vista). I tried to keep the color scheme, but not sure about it. The jpg image quality buttons seem to make it look really bad, so I will have to find an alternate file type.
Post opinions (I won't take offence), as I want to make it look good and be fast for dial up users, too.
-Brandon

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2007, 08:20 PM »
whoa, those are crazy big buttons!

Well.. There are better ways to make buttons, but the sire sure is out of the ordinary ;)
As for the file type, you probably should be using png, since it's lossless. (those weird artifacts on your image are caused because jpg works well with gradients, not sudden changes of color. Thus, don't use jpg for anything other than photographs)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2007, 11:28 PM »
Yes, the buttons were...larger then anticipated, but it does get your attention :P
I will use PNG and make the new buttons soon, most likely be updated with the release of the game itself. Thanks for the tip, Ill be sure not to use jeg/jpeg unless its a picture.

I have attached a picture that I took a couple days ago that illustrates the main menu, help and intro menus that will probably be seen in the final release; expect the (horrible, IMO) Help Center "Go!" buttons to be replaced, however.

Edit: Ironically, try to ignore that it is jpg...

Edit #3: OK, other then the embarrassing fact that I have had to make 3 edits to this one post...
Yes mouser, I will have a screenshot up soon :-[ ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:33 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2007, 12:37 AM »
OK, since my post above I have made 3 levels and MANY improvements.

Since I doubt many people (or anyone) uses one of the key features, I have improved on it greatly, and here is some info about it.
It is now VERY wise to use the Player Assistant feature, as it has many unique advantages now. Here are some reasons to use it:

If it dies via mine, car, or going off screen, the primary Player ball is NOT affected (game/room does not restart, no health is lost).
It can be generated infinitely (for those levels that make you yell "NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!" and bash on the keyboard...)
It will only affect the amount of health left if you hit a wall or laser (hint hint hint) with it. Mines and cars do not change your health amount.
It uses basic controls, the same as the Player ball, but the Numpad arrow keys control it (and the Numpad 5 generates it)(good for co-op ;))

The only downside is that you must be able to either
a) control both balls at once
b) have a friend play alongside you

It should be a lot more enjoyable (and easy) now. Well, except for levels 40-50...
-Brandon

(Note: Excuse my lack of grammar skills if I used the wrong affect/effect...been out of school too long to know ;D)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Version!
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2007, 12:10 PM »
OK, somewhat resuming work on this, and somewhat not. Here is why:

I REALLY want to release the version I have on hand. As far as I know there are no problems.
I REALLY want to add more levels, making single player hit 50 and dual hit 25 (minimum).

I don't want to add crummy, repetitive levels into the game though. And I am out of ideas. Running on fumes, I need help if I am gonna add new levels/enemies. I have school in 6 days, so I can probably get some somewhat decent ideas there, but for now, I will upload the version that I have on hand.

Here is what has changed:

Explosion now occurs commonly, when it should be logically triggered
Made improvements to Player Assistant
Updated Player Assistant
Fixed the Player Assistant
Added laser
Added levels
Changed internal things
Cleaned up internal things
Changed theme
Made clickable buttons (indent when clicked)
Made explosion smaller
Updated readme

That isn't a complete list, but most of it. Sorry about the lack of info, I have been dwelling into the world of AHK scripting and my mind is not back into normal mode yet. :P

I will have the new game version uploaded in about an hour.

The game has been uploaded, as well as an updated downloader (you can use your original downloader, also (if you still have it...))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:35 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2007, 09:00 PM »
Hey all,
Sadly, no updates. That is, directly to the game.

One thing has changed, and that is that Maze Craze will not only be available as a normal download from the site (http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/) but also part of my new program (https://www.donation...p?topic=8345.new#new). Nothing new to the game...well, yet anyways. Keep hope, keep hope.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2007, 09:42 PM »
wreckedcarzz: this "WinFix - Got errors?" link in your sig leads to a non-existent page in symantec.. :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2007, 01:10 AM »
wreckedcarzz: this "WinFix - Got errors?" link in your sig leads to a non-existent page in symantec.. :)
SYMANTEC???
Ok...darn TinyUrl  ;D I used exactly 500 letters so im not sure what the deal is...I will have to make another URL. Thanks for the info!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, it hasn't died!
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2007, 01:55 AM »
Update:

Maze Craze is being actively developed once again :D

Expect it to continue to be until the 50 levels goal is reached (minimum), more likely after some other goals are reached (no details yet, only plans- plans change, unfortunately)

Although, one thing is certain...
You may want to point your browser to the updated website and have a look at the new graphics ;)
http://mazecraze.dcisv.com
(Be sure to refresh!)