topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IMAP Account  (Read 3974 times)

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IMAP Account
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:58 AM »
I've been using yahoo and googlmail services for years and got to a point where I need a more robust IMAP account. I'm  looking mostly for features where I can manage my account folders and  probably be able to create rules.

Does any one know of a free or acceptably priced IMAP provider?

Any help will highly be appreciated.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IMAP Account
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:40 PM »
It is not free, but IMNSHO it is well worth it. I have had an email account at Tuffmail for almost a year now and I am very very pleased with the service. The customer service is top notch and all of their services work as advertised. I don't know if it will get you a discount or not, but it wouldn't hurt to email them and tell them that you were referred by one of their existing happy customers. My email address is [email protected].

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:30 PM »
I'm  looking mostly for features where I can manage my account folders and  probably be able to create rules.

Doesn't Yahoo already let you do this? Granted the beta version doesn't allow you to set up rules, but you can switch back and forth between the beta and classic and use rules. I've had no trouble with folders, either. But then, perhaps you are looking for something far more robust than I am envisioning?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02 AM »
You may want to consider something like a web hosting account with 1and1.com (or some other cheap provider).

Right now their cheapest accounts are $1.50/month for 6 months.  The std price is $3/month.

So, figuring it at the regular price ($36/yr), it's more money than most email accounts.  However, even though I don't use mine for much of a website, I do use it for:

- FTP backups of important files; they support SFTP or FTPS  (I forget which one) for secure transfers, and my backup program supports encrypted backups
 - files accessible from anywhere; I use a free web file manager (phpXplorer) so I can upload/download files from anyplace that has Internet access.  It's like a USB Flash drive that I don't have to carry around (note that this is not secure, so encrypt anything senstive before doing this)
 - email access; POP3 and IMAP support.  They also have a web interface that's admittedly not great.  If I cared, I'd look into fixing this with a PHP script or something.  Also, my email has *my* domain, so if I decide to move to another provider, I don't have to send out a change of address.  Oh, and the domain name is included in the fee, which would cost about $10 otherwise.

Anyway, it's something to think about if you might have use for more than just email.  Also, I'm mentioning 1and1 only because that's what I'm using.  I'm sure there are plenty of other webhosting services that will provide similar or better.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:16 AM »
Just FYI, I too have some domains hosted at 1 and 1, an I am pleased with their service.