topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: digg requires far too much effort!  (Read 3944 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
digg requires far too much effort!
« on: November 23, 2006, 02:22 PM »
i was bored so i thought i'd look at digg.com

i closed my browser and came back here after about 10 seconds of looking at the digg.com homepage.

i really haven't got the time to browse through all those pages - isn't it about time there was a website that rated the digged links over on digg.com - something where a hive-mind selects the best stories from digg and posts them on another website - where they could then be voted for by another hive-mind.

and, even better if there is another website collecting the sorted links from the meta-digg website that has yet another panel of experts or hive-mind thingy. so, we arrive at about a list of 10 links that i know will be worth looking at as they've been sorted so many times over.

(apologies if this has been said several times before - i'm sure it can't be a new 'joke' but i'd like to see it implemented all the same.)

i bet it's been done already. does anyone know of the über-digg or meta-digg.com? (such a site must follow the rule of only obtaining links/stories from digg or other similar sites where the hive exists.)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: digg requires far too much effort!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:51 PM »
That's what most of the links you see posted here in the forum are...the best collected from various social bookmarking sites and our click adventures...posted here by other dc members, for your enjoyment.

The highest rated of our bookmarks, the ones you really must see, will be highest in number of replies to the posts.

Personally, I don't like digg. I think sites like StumbleUpon and Clipmarks are much better.

I have even added the feed of the 10 most recent clips from Clipmarks to the sidebar on my blog.

I am not sure if anyone besides me is clicking them though. When I update my blog and check to make sure my post came out right, one of those links in my sidebar will usually catch my attention. Usually a bunch of crap, but even 1 interesting link a day makes it worth it to me. And if I refresh the page I get different ones.

Clipmarks from the sidebar of my blog:
SNAG-0073.png

hmmm...I wonder what that tasting words one is about...  :tellme:

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Join Google Reader, make a Digg folder then add feeds for Design, Gaming etc. Very fast to scan through in either expanded and list view - and you avoid getting depressed. If you feel overload so fast other showstoppers will follow. Those with Firefox and Greasemonkey might like Digg de-n00ber http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2310

Diggdot.us http://diggdot.us/ or Original Signal http://digg.originalsignal.com/ could be part of solution?

Im not really sure there are that many unique Digg stories worth highlighting. No more than from so many other sources. May be an impression from having to wade through lots of "noise".

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 05:12 AM »
I have only entered Digg a couple of times (not a fan of hype-powered websites), but looking at the front page right now, I can say most of the stories are uninteresting and posted by your average teenagers (being one of them, but anyway ;D). It's more a site posting about curious things than about interesting things, it reminds me of these weird Latin American programs talking about extremely bizarre things (I think there was one on Televisa or something...)

For tech news, I prefer Daily Rotation. Plain simple, with a very basic layout, but very customizable, and excellent to be in sync with daily tech news. And now, you can add your own feeds, as reported by mouser some days ago, with enhances even more the value of the site. By the way, thanks to it, I came to this link feature in CNET news: http://www.usersubmitter.com/. True or not? If it's true, it's yet another "triumph" for the wisdom of the crowds ;)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:27 PM »
I have to agree definitely about the "curious" vs "interesting" thing.
Just for a very recent example. Yesterday, after browsing with Google Earth in the Amsterdam zone, I saw what immediately seemed the result of some kind of optical aberration.
I posted a Google Maps like to it on Digg just out of curiosity, with a bit "sensationalistic" title ... and the morning after I saw it was dugg over 600 times, and was about the 5th or 6th item on the front page!!

P.S.
By the way, It's this: Seen on Google Map: A 'Star' over Amsterdam!! - It's over 1.400 now.