topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Top XP Freeware Every User Needs - Parts 1-3  (Read 10117 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Top XP Freeware Every User Needs - Parts 1-3
« on: November 18, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Recently, we've posted a few sites of good freeware. Rather than being a download site, this cool 3-part post recommends freeware broken down by category. We hope it's helpful. After recommending some basic security applications (like spyware and antivirus programs), applications are broken down into Multimedia, The Web, Everything Else, System Tools, Internet, Security, and Other. Read the authors recommendations and tell us what you think and use.

Using Windows XP without those nifty little freeware programs is not a good idea. When you run it out of the box it is slow, offers many features no one needs, lacks many that everyone needs and raises privacy concerns that can only be fixed using third party tools. This is basically a listing of programs that I install everytime I setup Windows XP on a computer, the must have freeware utilities in my opinion.

I decided to keep the list small and divide it into two parts. The first part deals with all the tools, mostly security related that everyone should have on his computer that is running Windows XP, the second part, which will be an article of its own, deals with tools that are nice to have and a great asset to every XP installation.

I always start with security related tools which is IMHO the best approach. Fix the security concerns and concentrate on everything else afterwards. I start with AntiVir which is a great free anti virus tool that can be scheduled to update itself on a regular basis. Once Antivir is up and running I install XP Antispy which disables the phone home options that are built into windows xp...

Screenshot - 11_18_2006 , 6_34_55 PM_thumb.png
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:38 PM by KenR »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Top XP Freeware Every User Needs - Parts 1-3
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:53 AM »
This man knows what's good! A quote from part3:
You need some additional tools if you want to save video streams. Most providers hide the real url to the stream making it impossible to detect it by normal means. Url Snooper comes into play and detects the real address by analyzing all network traffic.
;)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:09 AM »
I wish the links worked for me.  :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:15 AM »
looks like the site is down at the moment.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:45 AM »
It's up again. I love these kind of lists, though it doesn't recommend anything I didn't know (on second thought, it reminded myself of the existence of Disk Cleaner...)