topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: setting up a simple encrypted ftp offsite backup  (Read 12229 times)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: setting up a simple encrypted ftp offsite backup
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:02 PM »
original post here: https://www.donation...03.msg43177#msg43177
Perhaps a CodingSnack is in order?

example:
User navigates to file/files in Explorer, selects them, RightClicks and selects the OPTION (a symphonic melody is played upon selection for added emphasis) :).
The option would kick an AHK script (in the background) that launches 7-Zip, zips the files, then proceeds to FTP the file to a predetermined location on the server.

<<my brain tends to shoot into overdrive when I define an IDEA for a Coding Snack>>

MORE DETAILS!
After the user selects the OPTION (another symphonic melody is played upon selection for more added emphasis) in the RightClick context menu, they are prompted by msgbox for:
  • Archive filename (which should be prefixed by timedate stamp to prevent file overwriting)
  • Archive format dropdown menu: 7z, Tar, Zip
  • An unguessable Password + Password confirmation + Password Hint
  • A Yes/No checkbox asking, "Would you like a HelpFile to be created?"
(HelpFile should be a text file that resides on their machine that lists the contents of the files in the archive, timedate stamp of the upload, and the hint of the password.)

User hits Submit, another msgbox appears confirming the above selections:
  • filename
  • format
  • password
  • a reminder that if they forget their password, nothing can be done to retrieve their files (or something to that effect).

:)

So, I have an overactive imagination. LOL
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: setting up a simple encrypted ftp offsite backup
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:04 AM »
Two suggestions:

a.)

-.) install and configure http://www.toffi-net...P-support/eindex.php
1.) select files, right click, create an archive
2.) right click the archive and use context menu entries created by cspbftp csbftp (see the ....CFTP-support... link) to upload to a ftp server.

b.)

Easy: Use Syncback SE to synchronize a backup folder on your machine with a ftp server.

Advanced: You can configure an action BEFORE and AFTER synchronize. I'm using a simple AHK script. The before action starts it with "syncback.ahk backup" and the after action starts it with "synback.ahk delete".Synback transfers the created rar archive.

if 1 =
msgbox, need parameters

if 1 = backup
run, C:\Progs\System\Winrar\rar.exe a -m5 -o+ -ep c:\private.rar C:\Arbeit\_appdata\passwords.kdb C:\Arbeit\_appdata\compass.htm,,hide

if 1 = delete
Filedelete, c:\private.rar

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 07:26 AM by wr975 »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 02:13 AM »
btw, it would be easy to add any feature you want. Like password protection.

if 1 =
msgbox, need parameters

if 1 = backup
{
Inputbox,Password,Password needed,Please enter a password,HIDE
If Password =
{
MsgBox,Empty PW not supported
ExitApp
}
run, C:\Progs\System\Winrar\rar.exe a -m5 -o+ -ep -p%Password% c:\private.rar C:\Arbeit\_appdata\passwords.kdb C:\Arbeit\_appdata\compass.htm,,hide
}

if 1 = delete
Filedelete, c:\private.rar
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:16 AM by wr975 »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:07 AM »
Your solution looks interesting, wr975. (it misses the symphonic orchestra though. and i though it was the most important part of the coding snack .:P)

I couldn't inf any hit on google for cspbftp, though. What's that?

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:22 AM »
Sorry, typo.  :o

I meant "csbftp" (contextmenu quickuploader: http://www.toffi-net...P-support/eindex.php).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:49 AM »
I meant "csbftp" (contextmenu quickuploader: http://www.toffi-net...P-support/eindex.php).
Hum.. That looks good.
I was hoping to find something more command-line based, though :(

Well, jamo.. any comments on wr975's method?

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:33 AM »
A Syncback Profile can be run from command line. That's the beauty... do some configuring once, configure a scheduler and fully automated backup to your FTP server.

An AHK script can do everything asked. Use 7Zip to pack, use a commandline ftp to upload, play sounds... all pretty easy to code, just takes time (I don't have, sorry).

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Well, jamo.. any comments on wr975's method?
It seems like it should work. but, alas my good fellow, i removed the small application from my machine.

I download, installed, but quickly scrapped the tool from: http://www.toffi-net...P-support/eindex.php

1.I don't know German.
2.I did not see any new option in my Right-Click menu.
3.Am cautious of anything that enters something to my registry. I know it's needed for the Right-Click menu, but I can/will do without.

Your solution looks interesting, wr975. (it misses the symphonic orchestra though. and i though it was the most important part of the coding snack .:P)
I think perhaps we should make that a requirement ... the symphonic melody that plays when ya Right-Click a new OPTION.
??? :)

A Syncback Profile can be run from command line. That's the beauty... do some configuring once, configure a scheduler and fully automated backup to your FTP server.

An AHK script can do everything asked. Use 7Zip to pack, use a commandline ftp to upload, play sounds... all pretty easy to code, just takes time (I don't have, sorry).
I think I'll just learn to use (first of all) SyncBack, it's on my downloaded list of favorite apps, and then when I know I'm using it properly, learn AHK well enough to manipulate it to my will.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 02:05 PM »
1.I don't know German.

Sorry, thought the program was multi-lingual, as they offer a English homepage. :down: Couldn't test in on my German XP.

2.I did not see any new option in my Right-Click menu.
3.Am cautious of anything that enters something to my registry. I know it's needed for the Right-Click menu, but I can/will do without.

Well, if you disallow registry access it won't work. SyncBack also needs registry access, but you don't have to be cautious with SyncBack. It's no malware.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:23 PM »
I used SyncBack a couple times; wonderful little app. I used it for an external, on-site hard drive though...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 02:34 PM »
The obvious reply is that almost any backup program these days does what you are looking for. Are you just looking for free or single purpose or something else?

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 08:35 PM »
SyncBack also needs registry access, but you don't have to be cautious with SyncBack. It's no malware.
oh, i have full 100% trust in the apps from 2BtightSparks.
i've used them many times before.

one of my faves, aside form SyncBack, is their Calculate Hash Value script. So useful when downloading from a developers site and they offer a MD5 or SHA-1 hash code.

The obvious reply is that almost any backup program these days does what you are looking for. Are you just looking for free or single purpose or something else?
free and or opensource.
i've used SyncBack a few times before. i actually used it before as a set-it-and-forget-it kinda thing.
i dont think Firefox 2 has this feature, but in 1.5, bookmarks were saved automatically in its own file. i had SyncBack sync it with another folder where i had all my essential files.

i did that with many files. i really like its wildcard * filter.
i had everything backed up and ready for CD archive without doing much work.

i started this whole thread in the hopes that perhaps someone would be able to take upon the task of coding a AHK script that incorporated 7-Zip for archive + encryption + FTP.
i'm fine doing it they way ive been doing it. just always on the prowl for something BETTER. ya know?!

X_____jamjammo_____

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 07:26 AM »
Then I would agree that a batch file that zips with encryption and then uploads is simple enough of a solution that a more formal one would be a waste. Especially since a short batch/script would be eminently more adaptable then a hardcoded solution.

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Then I would agree that a batch file that zips with encryption and then uploads is simple enough of a solution that a more formal one would be a waste. Especially since a short batch/script would be eminently more adaptable then a hardcoded solution.

oohh yyeess, excellennnt

although my bat writing skillz suck. the best ive done was a script that copied certain files to a certain folder. but i didnt know about the encryption thing.

<<EDIT:i just read that 7zip works via command line too.neat.>>

X_____jamjammo_____
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 12:48 PM by jammo »