topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Version 1.05.19 now available for members  (Read 9275 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Version 1.05.19 now available for members
« on: July 24, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Download by clicking version # on member download page:
https://www.donation.../MemberDownloads.php

If you have donated to the site or are otherwise a full member but it says you aren't just email me ([email protected])
or if you cannot donate for whatever reason, email me for link.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Version 1.05.19 now available for members
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 10:08 PM »
 ยท Verion 1.05.19, July 24, 2005 

fixed bug with some win9x users where system shortcut hotkeys would be disabled 
 config options being broken up into multiple tabs 
 new options for custom hotkey and checkbox for pause/break key 
 new options for focus-retaining function (this may be improved later) 
 asks for confirmation before reseting all options from the menu 
 better default settings on first use 
 fixed messagebox bug where it was appearing under main window.   

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 06:43 AM »
Bug reporting:

- Hotkey doesnt seem to be responding on my machine.  I typed one in and unchecked Pause/Break, but pause/break still brings up FindRun

Other than that, seems ok. I love the new focus feature so far.  Nice implementation!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 06:47 AM »
the new hotkey options only work when the program is used in the main tray version (not low memory helper).
i should have made that clearer.

the new focus options aren't perfect, but i think they are an improvement; i will try to figure out a perfect solution soon.
right now the last option basically works based on elapsed time.  so for 4 seconds after you launch a program from F&R it will regrab focus; but any other time you switch away it lets you.

kfitting, do you often find yourself launching apps from F&R and leaving F&R open on the screen.. is that how you use it?
if so, what do you think about having F&R check for control key when launching app from # key or double click, and leaving F&R open if so. seems better than using the right-click menu.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 06:49 AM by mouser »

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 08:11 AM »
Sorry, my bad on the hotkey thing...  I accidentally clicked on the use less resources exe. 

Let me explain the whole focus issue.  I dont leave FindRun open often, it is only open while I'm launching apps.  However, some programs take a couple seconds to run, so if I want two programs (or more) open, I will launch one via FindRun and then while that app is coming up start launching the second one.  If the first app is allowed to steal focus from FindRun, I cant launch the second one without reclicking on the window and retyping. 

Now, to your last question.  Let me see if I understand you correctly.  You are saying that if you hold down the control key while pressing a number to launch an app, FindRun stays open (with focus)?  I think this is ok... but so far I like your current solution (have to play with it some more though).  The only problem I have with using a modifier key to launch apps is that it cuts down on the simplicity. It also forces me to know ahead of time whether I want to open more than one app (something I dont always know!). 

Granted, I may be in the minority on this type of usage, so I dont know how worthwhile it is to spend a lot of time on it.  I would be perfectly happy with an option to have FindRun always grab focus (as it is in v16) and provide other options with modifiers if others want it.  The number of times I have run into problems with FindRun grabbing focus are much much less than the number of times another program has grabbed focus prematurely. 

Let me know if I read you right and also what you think. 

Kevin

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 08:14 AM »
Incidentally mouser, something I just thought of.  Currently, only members can download the newer versions, which is fine.  But, I just remembered that v12 still has the "duplicates bug."  Unless v19+ comes out for the general public soon it may be worthwhile to release a quick fix to v12 since this bug renders FindRun rather clunky.  NO other enhancements, just the duplicates thing.  Just a thought, take it for what it's worth!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 08:22 AM »
maybe ill make 1.05.16 the default public download, that makes sense.

so currently you use the right click menu to launch the first app?
i was just suggesting an additional (menu would still be available) way to launch an app and leave F&R open, by holding control key down when launching (not implemented yet).

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 09:34 AM »
No I dont use the right-click menu... that would involve moving my hands off the keyboard! Here are the steps:

1 Hit pause/break to bring up findrun
2 Start typing name of program
3 hit number key (FindRun goes away)
4 While program is launching, hit Pause/Break
5 Start typing name of second program
6 hit number key (FindRun goes away)

The problem is that from steps 3 to about 5, the other program is launching.  In the middle of step 5 the launched app suddenly and violently grabs focus requiring you to restart the process.  There are a few times when I'll start FindRUn, start typing the name of a program, then remember something I wanted to do in another app.  THis is where the keeping focus becomes an issue.  However these times are very few and far between. 

If you add the ability to hold down a modifier when launching an app, I wont complain, and it will be nice during those times when I know I will be launching a few apps in quick succession.  My point was that sometimes the reason I start launching a second app is because the first one is taking some time to start.  In this case, I wouldnt have hit the modifier, and FIndrun would already be minimized, negating your modifier solution. 
How often does this happen?  Not often, that's why I say I'm happy with having an option to make FindRun always retain focus.  I also kind of like your four second timeout idea (FindRun can lose focus after being open for four seconds).  This allows me the time to do a quick search (without being interrupted), but if I dont know the name of the file and my search takes a tad longer, I can bring up another window to find the filename, then open with FindRun.

HOpe that helps.  Ask again if you still dont understand my convoluted process!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 09:53 AM »
ah yes, i see now completely - that makes a lot of sense now.

of course you're original idea about detecting mouse click or keyboard click to change focus would be ideal situation, just have to figure out best way to do it.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Yeah mouseclick and alt-tab would be ideal, but... dont know how that would work either!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 10:53 AM »
well it could be done with a global keyboard and mouse hook - but it might not be worth the price in cpu cycles it would eat.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Hey mouser, don't know if this was addressed in the new build, but FindRun still is giving that startup weirdness.  It could also be because I didnt uninstall reinstall, but just thought I'd let you know.

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 04:48 PM »
i'm going to use a more traditional start-with-windows approach in the next version.
can you remind me again the issue you have and any clues you think might be related to why it's happening.
it shouldnt be an issue of reinstalling.. except if you installed it under two different user accounts, or perhaps if you installed it under one account and ran it under another.  in all such cases, manually deleting any F&R entry from start menu -> startup group should solve it.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 08:19 PM »
I install FindRun and everything works fine.  After some period of time (honestly don't know what it is exactly) upon starting my computer, the FindRun window is up, the pause/break key does nothing, and when I click on the "X" to close it, it shuts down completely.  Evidently, it is not being run from the tray at all.  I have no real clue what causes it.  I can get around the problem, like you said, by clearing the startup group and restarting/setting FindRun to start at startup.  That's all I've got right now... if I can think of anything I'll let you know.

Kevin