topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AdMuncher 20% discount code (advertisement blocker)  (Read 25927 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
AdMuncher 20% discount code (advertisement blocker)
« on: July 21, 2005, 08:21 PM »
The people from Ad Muncher sent me a 20% off discount code for donationcoder.com people.

To get get discount:

NOTE: Unlike most sites, we take NO COMMISSION from any sales using these discount codes, and we accept no payments to list these.  They are provided purely as a service to our members.  If you like our approach, please join DonationCoder.com by making a donation to us.

Ad Muncher description from their site:
Blocks adverts in all browsers.
Blocks unwanted popups in all browsers.
Blocks adverts in programs like ICQ, Morpheus, Kazaa, Grokster, Opera, PalTalk, iMesh, Bearshare, LimeWire, etc.
Speeds up page loading, thanks to the missing adverts and popups.
Blocks many annoying site behaviors.
Filters quickly and reliably, thanks to six years of constant development and feedback from users.
Includes extensive options for those who like to tinker, allowing you to remove anything that annoys you.
Runs on Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/2003.

You can download a trial version of Ad Muncher at their website (http://www.admuncher.com). 
Normal price (without any discount): $25

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AdMuncher 20% discount code (advertisement blocker)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 10:37 PM »
btw - although i do not use an ad blocker currently, this one might be worth checking out; reviews at file forum seem numerous and mostly laudatory:
http://fileforum.bet...Muncher/1031644604/1

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 03:08 AM »
I've been using Ad Muncher for years, and it is on my shortest-of-all-lists of software I'd never be without (if that made a bit of sense).  The developers are really good guys, too, and the support is awesome.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 08:02 AM »
How long does this discount apply for?

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 03:14 PM »
just heard back - it expires September 1st.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Hello to all. My name is Josh and I am one of the fans of the Ad Muncher program. Anyways, I am here to answer any question for you all and am more than happy to provide any sort of technical assistance you might need while evaluating whether or not to purchase this program. I hope you all enjoy the 20% coupon, and we look forward to helping you enjoy an ad free internet.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:25 PM by Josh »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 07:05 PM »
thanks for stopping by josh - it's always nice to have a company representative take the time to personally come by and say hello.  definitely gives one a good feeling that the company cares about its users, which is very important to the members of this site.  again, glad you stopped by, and thanks for the discount.

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 03:40 PM »
admuncher is a great piece of software, I can't recommend enough.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 02:52 PM »
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I though I'd add my viewpoint, especially as the offer is still valid.

I've heard AdMuncher mentioned many times over the years on many different sites, but thought it would be of limited use to me as I already had a pop-up blocker and highly customised hosts file blocking hundreds of advertising sites.  Anyway, I decided to finally trial it after reading this thread and I have to admit, I am hooked!  Within an hour of using it I knew I had to buy it.  Both my old pop-up blocker and hosts file go out the window - Well, the hosts file gets a good pruning at least.

I didn't expect the Ad blocking to work anywhere near so well and with a few manual filters, adverts and pop-ups are *literally* a thing of the past.  I've even done a few tests on known spyware sites and it does a fine job of blocking most (but not all) spyware/adware threats.  Combined with a good anti-virus/anti-trojan/anti-spyware solution it should help take security of your PC to the next level.  I love the fact it hooks into and protects any applications that access the Internet (excellent for Website-Watcher) and the daily updates filter updates also give a warm and fuzzy feeling of being a valued customer.

Since I've started using AdMuncher I can honestly say that with very little work NOTHING pop-up or ad related has got past me.  It is definitely the best $20 I've spent in ages.  If you haven't checked this software out yet, I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks mouser for bringing this to my attention and the AdMuncher team for such a great little tool.
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Yes I agree with Sentinel.  I downloaded this program after seeing the discount posted... and have been amazed at just how nice it is.  Especially considering that I have not changed one setting!  No more ads, none.  A delightful little line of text is on a webpage every now and then "munched."  I'm not going to buy immediately (budget manipulation ;) ) but, I will definitely be buying before the discount ends.

Kevin

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 03:25 PM »
To the users who have responded in this thread,

I must say thanks for your kind words. Sentinel, if you find something that this program misses with scripts, please let us know in #admuncher on irc.efnet.org or use the "Email AdMuncher Developers" option on the contact tab to report it. We are very eager to receive these reports (as we get very few of them and usually we are required to search for ads ourselves or rely on the ones reported in our support channel). But if you find something that is missed, please, let us know.

I am glad to see that everyone is enjoying the product. If you have any ideas for future improvements, let us know. We are always listening!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:25 PM by Josh »

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 08:36 AM »
Hi Josh,

Your post helps re-enforce my warm and fuzzy feeling of support from the AdMuncher team.  ;)

Reading through my previous mail and checking though my AdMuncher settings, I think now would be a good time to clarify what I have said previously.  Frankly it may have understandably been misinterpreted as AdMuncher requiring (significant) user input to work effectively.  I'd hate to tar AdMuncher with that unjustified and inaccurate brush.

Firstly, manual filters.  Looking through my manual filters it appears that two of my filters stop the site in question from being blocked, *one* blocks adware/banners and several others block annoying logos and graphics which I'm sure would only be a problem to me.

Secondly, malware.  I'm pretty certain that AdMuncher's purpose was not that of blocking Malware, though strangely it works significantly better than an (unmentioned) anti-malware tool that was posted on DonationCoder.  I've retested the latest beta today with my previously known malware site (all IE and Avant blocking switched off) and can confirm that this does indeed now completely block the Istbar.J implementation that they have in place.  Of course, I'd have to say that AdMuncher should still be used as a layered approach in any security solution, though frankly as a first point of prevention it is worth more than its weight in gold.

I have noticed a rather quirky bug in the latest beta of AdMuncher regarding Website-Watcher and FTP, but I'll gladly report that as well as the banner site mentioned above via the official channels.

I can safely say that AdMuncher came out of nowhere and made it to my 'A list' in one swift blow.  I cannot recommend this software highly enough (and two weeks ago I didn't think it would be possible for me to say such a thing for this 'type' of software).

If you are sceptical or feel AdMuncher fills a non-existent niche, I can only recommend that you try it and see if you still feel the same way one hour later.

Thanks again AdMuncher team!
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 10:41 AM »
I have noticed a rather quirky bug in the latest beta of AdMuncher regarding Website-Watcher and FTP

I'm not sure why Ad Muncher (which only filters HTTP, not FTP) would affect this, but it may suffice to restrict WSW to port 80 in Ad Muncher.  That is, on the Filter Targets tab, use +"wswatch":80 and +"wswie":80.  Just a thought, and I'm not suggesting you avoid mentioning a genuine issue you may have found.

I can safely say that AdMuncher came out of nowhere and made it to my 'A list' in one swift blow. I cannot recommend this software highly enough (and two weeks ago I didn't think it would be possible for me to say such a thing for this 'type' of software).

I heard that.  I have always held up Ad Muncher as an example of how software should be.  While the Proxomitron lovers shout incessantly about how great their solution is, I've laughed at what a pain in the ass they go through just to get the damned thing to work.  (Or, not work.  Or, sort of work.  Or, does it work?  I can't tell.  Can you email me your 2,500-line Proxomitron config file?)

I began a sort of campaign awhile back, in which I remove any software I don't really need and use.  I have also been converting from overpayware to freeware and open source, whenever feasible and worthwhile.  Almost all (maybe even literally all) software I've been using for years has been told to "kiss my ass!", but Ad Muncher is the exception.  I have been using it for years (since 2002), and it's the only bit of software I have kept around so long.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 09:18 AM »
To all,

I would like to thank all the people who checked out admuncher and gave it a shot with this 20% discount. I just wanted to let you know that we are working on something special for the users here at donation coders and hopefully, you will get to see what it is soon. Thanks to mouser for allowing us to post this discount here and again, thanks to all the users!

Josh

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 10:53 AM »
thanks josh, that sounds great!

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 09:28 AM »
I just recently tried ad muncher, even though i use maxthon which is quite capable itself.  I think between the two of them my surfing is even better.  I was curious what this special something for DonationCoder users might be?  As I am considering a purchase.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Sounds intriguing indeed :eusa_dance:.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 10:01 AM »
josh has been in contact with me - something nice for members will be in the works for our november thing if all goes well :)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 02:22 PM »
josh has been in contact with me - something nice for members will be in the works for our november thing if all goes well :)

We have something special in the works that will be specifically for donationcoders! We are currently working on preparing 4.7 for its final release, a long needed update, which has been under very active and continuous development for a long time. We are very pleased with the upcoming release and as such will be offering something to donation coder that I think the users will enjoy.

If you want to test one of the final beta's to be released for the 4.7 series, you can go to

http://www.admuncher...331&key=41619043

This is the latest beta release which includes a lot of new improvements. Below is a post from Murray (the programmer) on the admuncher forums which should provide more insight into the beta

Hi everyone,

We're done working on new features for v4.7 and would now just like to track down any significant bugs before releasing it publicly.

Gzip support has unfortunately been held back for v4.8 due to the amount of time it was taking to rewrite the relevant supporting code.  We really need to get a public release out, and v4.7 as it is currently is a great improvement over the currently-public v4.6.

The current beta is v4.7 Build 19331 and is available from:

http://www.admuncher...331&key=41619043

This build includes a brand new update system, which now supports:

- Previewing of updates before downloading.

- SOCKS 5 proxy support.

- Proxy authentication (basic and digest methods).

- Updates for all users, with registered users getting the latest releases a little sooner than trial users do.

- More informative download progress dialogs.

- The option to load development versions (betas) by simply enabling a checkbox on the update tab.

For those who have not seen a v4.7 beta yet, the current beta also includes:

- A brand new default filter list, immensely better than the ones distributed with v4.6 and now being updated on a daily basis by Jeff.

- Browser integration into Internet Explorer, Opera and Firefox (as well as Navigator, Mozilla and all browsers based on IE).  This integration allows you to quickly remove, exclude or report pages and adverts by simply right-clicking on them.

- Automatic cache clearing for Internet Explorer.  This only affects Internet Explorer because the other browsers, having more configurable caching mechanisms, shouldn't need forced cleaning.

- Two new filter categories that allow you to insert javascript or CSS into web pages.

- A new packaging system for the patching DLL, which should reduce memory usage significantly in all patched programs.

- Plus a load of bug fixes and other minor improvements.

A full list of changes is available from:

http://www.admuncher...om/betachangelog.txt

Testing tips:

- In Internet Explorer, if the browser extensions are working correctly, then whenever Ad Muncher is running the right-click menu should look something like this:

http://www.admuncher.com/be-menu.gif

Could you please check that the Ad Muncher menu extensions in Internet Explorer are nested in a sub-menu as they are in the above image?  If they aren't please let me know.

- If anyone uses a proxy in the network environment I would enormously appreciate a quick check to see if the proxy options on the update tab are working, especially the authentication.  Remember to click "Apply" after making any changes before testing.

- When further betas are released, please check that their download and installation proceeds as expected.

- If you get a chance please try both of the options on the "Contact" tab (the "Live chat.." and "Email..." tabs), as both of these now make use of components from the new update system as well.

- Feel free to try out the new IP Scramble test lists, the larger of which now has almost 800 entries.

- Feedback on interface changes is also appreciated, including the update system and browser extensions.  If there is anything that is confusing or not intuitive please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help.  All feedback on the new version (including simple "all-okay" emails) is enormously appreciated, and should be directed to [email protected]

Yours sincerely,

Murray Hurps

As I said, we have something in store for donationcoder and would like to thank the loyal users that already have experienced ad muncher! Take it easy!

Josh

burf

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 03:08 PM »
My first post here... thought I'd add my accolades to admuncher.
I've been using it for years, and would not be without it.
I started with it, because I wanted an app that used little resources, on my old P-133.
Well, if other apps worked as efficiently as AM, I'd still be using the ol' 133 ;)

Works great... never had any problems... and the few times it's missed something, I just create a filter.

As this is my first time moseying through DC, just seeing that you guys have a relationship with AM, gives me the warm fuzzies about DC.

Thanks for yer hospitality...   burf

BlueFlame

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 04:39 PM »
Very good problem I highly recommend it :D