topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: application sensitive pop-up notes  (Read 21653 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: application sensitive pop-up notes
« on: October 21, 2006, 11:54 AM »
here's a suggestion but i won't be too surprised if there is already a little util that will already do it - maybe even a previous coding snack, here goes anyway...

there are certain jobs/tasks i need to do with certain programs. i might not get around to doing these tasks straight away - or, they might just be little things that could be done when i actually run a program with the intention of working on something else.

so, i'd like to make a few notes about the tasks i will need/want to do with specific apps. the idea of the coding snack program would be to monitor which software application i've loaded in and then a note would pop up relating to the reminders i've set that can be done with that program.

example: i run photoshop, a note pops up in front of photoshop saying "don't forget to change the colour of the shirt, blah, blah". the note would be a list of several reminders. similarly, i run premiere, a note pops up in front of the program saying "edit last 20 minutes of project blah, blah".

originally, i was going to request a more intelligent reminder application - something that could read the text you have on screen and spot 'keywords' that would trigger a related set of notes. the idea would be that when i'm shopping online, i often forget which retailers i've used in the past. i'd like a reminder util to prevent me from buying from retailer i've had a less than positive experience from in the past - but i've forgotten the fact. the program would allow me to just make a quick note mentioning the retailer and the problem, and then, should i stumble across the retailer again in a few months time and be tempted to buy something, the util would have spotted what i'm about to do - by using the keywords match and then the reminder note would pop up.

i can see that this could lead to many other 'context' sensitive reminders BUT i also appreciate it is something that would ultimately become very annoying if the util was forever throwing reminders at you.

and so, the simpler and less problematic, program title matching method note reminder is all that i request.

thanks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 12:09 PM by brotherS »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: application sensitive pop-up notes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Nice idea, I'd definitely like to see something like this as well.

The web browser "sites I've been to and had bad experiences with" example also makes me wonder what browsers, if any, allow you to generically rate or put down comments for sites in a not-necessarily recommending way. I've seen a few that do this, but I'd be more interested in doing it personally than in a shared way, although the latter would ultimately be cool too. I know there's one that lets you just sort of write over the top of any page and other visitors to that page who have the browser/extension can read what you wrote. Not sure if it has ratings or anything. I don't know if Stumbleupon has facility for rating things like merchants either. But I think it'd be super cool to have a browser that was basically like "rate the web", with a really quick, easy interface to rate not just pages you bookmark, but any page, including notes. And then it'd be searchable and sortable, like "top rated sites", etc. Again one of the existing systems like Stumbleopon or the other I mentioned may do this. If so I'll have to give them a try. But it's a cool idea either way.

- Oshyan

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:48 PM »
let me/us know if you find anything that does what you've described for commenting on webpages.

what i've tried has never really lived up to my expectations.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:38 PM »
What have you tried? As I mentioned there's Stumbleupon (which seems more focused on recommendation, not note-taking and arbitrary rating), and then another that I don't remember the name of.

Edit: this seems to do something along these lines, but I'm not sure it's the one I was remembering: http://www.purplebun...y.com/bbs/index5.php

- Oshyan
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 03:45 PM by JavaJones »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:37 AM »
i've tried stumbleupon, which i still use for random browsing - just click the 'stumble!' button, and i've also tried 'spurl.net' which would be good if it worked faster using my internet connection.

the other services like 'spurl' i haven't bothered with as spurl looks the best to me but it still doesn't really do what i want. i've also used an app that allowed you to scribble and leave notes over webpages - this wasn't shared with other people browsing as it was local only to your machine. it was about 10 years ago, so at the time it was a bit clunky, maybe it would be worth investigating now - i cannot remember the name of the program but i'll wait for my subconscious to find it later.

the main problem i've encountered is the speed of how these things work and how stable they remain. if it's not instant then it's not really suited to web browsing where a couple of seconds waiting for something to load feel like a drawn out boring sunday afternoon.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 03:06 AM »
there are certain jobs/tasks i need to do with certain programs. i might not get around to doing these tasks straight away - or, they might just be little things that could be done when i actually run a program with the intention of working on something else.
so, i'd like to make a few notes about the tasks i will need/want to do with specific apps. the idea of the coding snack program would be to monitor which software application i've loaded in and then a note would pop up relating to the reminders i've set that can be done with that program.
i really like that idea.
seems truly promising.

to further illustrate the example (for whomever takes this task & make sure I get you!)

monday night, i am using PSPpad (text editor), i set a note, "reminder:change X to Y"
tuesday after work, turn PC on. launch PSPpad, and the note, along with the app, comes up, "reminder:change X to Y."

neat idea.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 04:34 AM »
Hi All

You could wait till 'Stickies' v6 is released.

New features.
Stickies can be attached to a window - they appear on the desktop only when that application is active. That way, you can have a sticky which appears when you go to a web site, open a document, or browse to a folder on your computer.
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/v6/v6.html

currently version 5.2 and the author is holding out till vista release. :(
Wish he would just bite the bullet, the planned new features look amazing

For those that dont use stickies, its simply brilliant. (freeware)

Also found via snapfiles
http://www.conceptworld.com/QNP/default.asp
Quick Note Plus
already has "Context-Sensitive Sticky Notes"
$24.95

I have used 'stickies' for years.
never used 'QNP' but always willing to learn.

dB
doublebogey
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:42 AM by doublebogey »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 05:33 AM »
thanks, doublebogey.

i'll have to try those.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:03 AM »
i like the way 'quick notes plus' works (using the trial version at the moment) but i don't think it's something i'd pay for as it's missing fundamental features - primarily, for me, unable to use the 'win' key as hotkey shortcut.

i don't know, i'll stick with it for a while and see how it goes. it does perfectly fulfill my original request so i shouldn't really grumble.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:26 AM by nudone »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Man... I love this idea. Very good idea, nudone! (why is it that you usually come up with coding snacks ideas that i love? ;))
A big part of this is already implemented in DialogMove (specially the part that monitors window titles / classes changing). So, it'd make it easy. I am definitelly interested in doing this, but i'd rather have someone else doing it since for me it might take a while (LOADS of work right now :'().

Anyway, i'll keep a watch on this thread, to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 10:27 AM »
sounds promising, jgpaiva - i'll remind you about it in a few months time if no one else has a go.

as quick notes plus really doesn't work too well with shortcuts keys i'd really like to see an autohotkey util that does. there are plenty of things that could be done to improve on quick notes - in my opinion, at least.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:25 AM by nudone »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Hrm, still haven't found the original "write on a web page and share your notes" system I was thinking of. Unless Purplebunny is it, but I don't think so.

Anyway Stickies sounds great. But will V6 be Vista only?? If so that sucks! A *ton* of people will not be upgrading to Vista for quite some time, including myself. Aside from that issue it sounds like V6 might be just what we're looking for, and freeware too. :)

- Oshyan

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Ok.. So that you won't think i've forgotten about this thread, I've put up a pre-alfa version of this program. (yes, this version is THAT primitive).
Please take a look, just to collect some ideas on the exact behaviour of this program.

As for configuration, check the first lines.

TitleMatch = GVIM§opera§winamp§
NOTE1 = A note for GVIM
NOTE2 = A note for opera
NOTE3 = A note for winamp
The first line is a '§' separated list of parts of names. If those are found on the title of the current window, the corresponding note will be displayed.

(it's too simple and too hard to use, i'm just wondering if this is what you're looking for)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 08:23 AM »
well, it works (in the basic way it cay at the moment).

i'd not thought about the actual mechanics of what the program should do - like the 'ok' button to close the note.

i'll try to make a few useful suggestions to make the program 'user friendly' or of greater worth than using something like 'quick notes plus'.

1. easily create a new note that is attached to the current window - select command from a tray icon menu maybe.

2. delete a note.

3. editable text inside the note - not sure what autohotkey can do but maybe the notes could just be text files that open in notepad.

4. probably helpful if the text of the note was saved inside a text file regardless of how point 3. above worked.

5. hotkeys to create/delete/hide/store a note.

6. automatic saving of text in a note when it loses focus.

7. other things that would start taking the 'note' simplicity into the realms of more sophisticated programs.

thanks for doing what you've done so far, jgpaiva.

edit:
just checked again how 'qnp' works.

rather than selecting to add a note from a tray menu - create the new note first then from that note select from a menu which open window you want to attach it to (this can be several currently open windows).

(having said this - since mouser created 'tap tap' i don't have such a big problem with 'quick notes plus' as i can now use the winkey to create a new note - which reminds me to add hotkey function to the list above.).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:08 AM by nudone »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 11:13 AM »
The web browser "sites I've been to and had bad experiences with" example also makes me wonder what browsers, if any, allow you to generically rate or put down comments for sites in a not-necessarily recommending way.

You might try LinkStash ($19.95):

LinkStash Overview

LinkStash is an outstanding new bookmarks/favorites manager which works for Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, NetCaptor and Opera. Just 5 minutes with LinkStash and we are betting you will never want to use the IE favorites, Netscape and Opera bookmarks again!

LinkStash will open and close with your browser, and using LinkStash means you can store and organize all your favorite links in a familiar Explorer-style tree arrangement. With fields for comments, ratings, password, date last visited and so on, links can be easily edited, maintained and kept up to date. You can make your bookmarks visible and easy to find by using color highlights. A customizeable toolbar allows you to arrange all your favorite commands in a sensible, custom arrangement of your choice.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:14 AM by rjbull »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Nudone: I think we're on the same page!!  :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 03:39 AM »
i don't have such a big problem with 'quick notes plus' as i can now use the winkey to create a new note

Any chance of a mini-review of "Quick Notes Plus," please?  I'm currently using Magic Notes  It's OK for general use, but has a few things that could be improved, and doesn't have the context-sensitive feature you're looking for.

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 10:16 PM »
You might want to check out Wirenote http://www.wiredplane.com/en/wpt-wirenote/about.php
I have been using it for years, mainly because it is the only freeware sticky note program I have ever seen that allows me to stick a note to a particular file or program.  Some other nice features as well.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 03:26 AM »
thanks, thomthowolf. i think you've mentioned wirenote before(?), i'll have to check it out (again).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 03:57 AM »
unfortunately, wirenote doesn't like working with 'dialogmove'.

when opening a window (regardless of it's size) with a note associated with it, dialogmove somehow confuses the note with the opened window and makes the window jump to the cursor.

i suppose i could get used to it but quicknoteplus didn't have this problem - nor did jgpaiva's little autohotkeyscript.

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 12:22 PM »
I like this idea very much.  I am trying out QuickNotes plus. It works fine for static applications.
However I have an application that the title when opened is  XXXXXX-MMDDYY. Thus every day the title is different ( by the  MMDDYY ) and so the Quick Note does not associate with the application.  So the Note application needs to either be set to read only a designated portion of the  application title  or the applicationtitle lneeds to be made  ( in some way )the same every day.
Lew

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 02:09 PM »
I've been keeping this on my opera window, to see if i could do it, and it looks like stickies was finally updated!
See https://www.donation...index.php?topic=7130
Looks like the solution for this problem was found :D

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 10:46 AM »
May I promote my own program WorkCoach?

Although what is described here is not the main purpose of the program, you can use it to keep notes with programs. (As a matter of fact: notes with projects, that are linked to programs.)

You can read some more about editing notes in this post I just made. (Scroll down to "Edit projects notes from the status window".)

Hope this helps.