topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 27, 2024, 1:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Play MP3s Randomly?  (Read 2074 times)

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Play MP3s Randomly?
« on: January 04, 2024, 03:37 PM »
Are there any small command line MP3 players that can randomly play MP3's in a folder? I would love a program to be able to do this...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Play MP3s Randomly?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 04:25 PM »
Usually, Skwire already has a tool for that, and indeed, it's available, for some time: Trout  :D

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 06:01 PM »
Trout is nice but I do not know how to use the command line functions... I do not know where the documentation for command line controls are? Do you know where this might be?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 01:23 AM »
but I do not know how to use the command line functions...
Hm, documentation isn't very elaborate :o, but I think you can extract most commands from the changelog.txt file.
Guess the Random option has to be set in the UI, after which you can add tracks by issuing "trout (track.mp3)", probably supports wildcards, though I haven't tested that.

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 02:49 AM »
Ok I got it to load a directory with the commandline:
...\Trout.exe "L:\Music\Doctor Who" /playpause
yet it doesn't seem to clear the previously loaded files. So of course if I run the commandline again... it adds the directory of mp3s to the playlist... Any ideas?

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 08:31 AM »
I think I found a solution? Trout creates a list.TPL file which holds the playlist loaded from the last time it was opened. If I delete the tpl file Trout creates every time Trout closes then it kinda refreshes trout. There needs to be a better way to work around the problem though.... I can treat the TPL file like a .txt file and even edit it and repopulate it.  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 12:09 PM »
While Trout does have some command-line argument capabilities, it isn't a command-line player.  Happy to write one for you, though.  Can you give me some more details about what you want, i.e.:

1. Do you want to pass the executable a folder and simply have it play a random audio file within that folder?
2. What kind of GUI, if any, did you have in mind?
3. Hotkeys to control things?

etc...

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 03:36 PM »
While Trout does have some command-line argument capabilities, it isn't a command-line player.  Happy to write one for you, though.  Can you give me some more details about what you want, i.e.:

1. Do you want to pass the executable a folder and simply have it play a random audio file within that folder?
2. What kind of GUI, if any, did you have in mind?
3. Hotkeys to control things?

etc...

Exactly, without a GUI really, I mean maybe though a floating desktop icon and a right click to select the file in the folder if desired, but for it to be playing random files kind of like trout, but in a mini form. I mean I like the Trout's mini vertical bar but even smaller than that would be GREAT! Middle clicking on it could open a file menu with options and a show of the current playlist but of course to be operated though a shortcut with a commandline to feed it directories or files to play automatically.

Of course unlike Trout it needs to clear it's list on exit so it could be refed freshly. I remember you worked on Squeaky Mouse which still works and honestly was and still is fabulously working on win 10 (I'm not tickled about updating to win 11 so call me old fashioned I guess).

One idea could be while it's playing to mouse over this mini floating bar and or icon and press arrow keys to control the player like pressing the right arrow would play the next song on the randomized list while the left would repeat the song, up might be to increase volume and down would be to decrease it. This way hotkey usage might be minimized as well as easy to remember.

What do you think of my Mini Mp3 or Minnow idea? Also do you still accept donation credits?

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 05:52 AM »
Hello! I'm having this snack as "luvnplay" for the N.A.N.Y. write-up so I can get a few more days to finish the main one.

So, two (2) programs inspired by N.A.N.Y. 2024 from me :)
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 09:59 AM by publicdomain »

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 10:08 PM »
Thank you Vic, but I believe the empire has this with all due respects. Since the empire came up with Trout in the first place, plus I really do not like the idea of luvnplay... It really sounds tacky at best. Lastly, I believe you were trying to work on the board I commissioned you to do ages ago.

So please, allow the Empire to improve their product and please take down luvnplay as it is  really not doing much and besides a Minnow with a Trout has a far better ring to it. Thank you so much for understanding.

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 09:56 AM »
... please take down luvnplay ...

No worries! GitHub repo deleted

(Back to coding a one-day "snack" for the write-up! Still aiming at two NANY-inspired apps: a quickie to ensure participation/a place & of course yours :Thmbsup:)

Thanks again.

luvnbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 01:17 PM »
Thank you very much  :Thmbsup: :-*

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 05:45 PM »
Thank you very much  :Thmbsup: :-*

:-* as well. Everything works for us! I'm using this opportunity to repurpose the (GUI-less) player code to build TIMP (Tray Icon Music Player):

https://github.com/publicdomain/timp

It serves as the NANY-inspired quickie release to secure a spot/release in the event's wrap-up.

Please continue with the Trout program's development at ease on this thread  :Thmbsup:

Cheers!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 07:40 PM by publicdomain »

derrick_vaillancou

• Participant
  • Joined in 2024
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 03:57 AM »
mpg123 try mpg123 -z folder/*.mp3