topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 27, 2024, 2:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Changes won't save anymore...  (Read 3534 times)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Changes won't save anymore...
« on: June 13, 2023, 04:28 AM »
I don't know what's changed or why it's happening... but I can't make changes to my LBC setup that will "stick" on one of my systems.

I'm using the portable version. I've checked security on the files and folders and everything looks fine.

The file that gets loaded at startup is TimPortable.mcf.

Any change I make -- let's say I delete a node -- happens, I can rebuild the tree and it all gets processed as expected.

But when I save the file, either by using the save icons or the File/save or save as function, nothing happens. TimPortable.mcf last changed 8 months ago. Oh, and the save icons never grey out, which they always used to.

I can try to save as TimPortable2.mcf and nothing happens. Well... a link to it gets added to Windows' recent files list. But that's it. The target the link points to never gets created.

I can do a manual backup via the tools menu; that creates a new file.

I've redownloaded the portable zip, Just In Case, but nothing.

This tree is fairly big (268 nodes) so I'd rather not have to completely rebuild it -- are there any steps short of that I might try? or any other ideas?
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Changes won't save anymore...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 04:32 PM »
Gut instinct is that its saving to one place and loading to another.. But I suppose it could be something else.   Can you try a Save As and verify that it is saving the file as a new file, and then load that file explicitly, and see if its still not showing changes?

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 04:39 AM »
Can you try a Save As and verify that it is saving the file as a new file, and then load that file explicitly, and see if its still not showing changes?
Tried that. It didn't error, but it didn't write a file either.

I've fixed it. Not sure why or how -- I went and played in the main settings are for the tree. You know, selecting options and unselecting them again in the Docking Bar 1 and 2 tabs, that stuff. And something (didn't notice what, I wasn't expecting anything to work, really, so I wasn't being careful about it) made the Save Changes button light up, and when I hit it, it saved a new copy of TimPortable.mcf. Then I saved a new copy and the file got created and opened. And my changes are now surviving program exits and reloads just as before.

I'm aware that there's no way there's enough here for you to be able to find a fixable bug.  ;D If it happens again, I'll try to be more forensic in my analysis!
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 09:33 PM »
how strange!!! yes please let me know if it happens again or if you discover any more clues..