topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to prevent unwanted File Explorer window?  (Read 3505 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to prevent unwanted File Explorer window?
« on: February 21, 2023, 04:20 PM »
Possibly as a result of a botched install of Battery Limiter, every time I boot up now I get a File Explorer window pointing to the Battery Limiter folder.  It's annoying me, and I don't know how to stop it.  I put in a PTFB Pro macro to close File Explorer, but I really want to stop it popping up in the first place.

Any ideas, please?

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to prevent unwanted File Explorer window?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 06:20 PM »
If you are talking about Windows, maby Autoruns help you to identify the bad guy?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 05:14 PM »
If you are talking about Windows, maby Autoruns help you to identify the bad guy?

Yes - sorry, I should have said it was Windows (10).

I tried Autoruns - good suggestion, thanks.  I'm not very good at system level stuff, but it looked to me like I had a shortcut pointing to a non-existent file:

"c:\Program Files.exe"

But, I couldn't get rid of it by Autoruns.  It would let me go through the motions, including elevating the prompt, but the entry stubbornly stayed where it was.  However, I install most things with Total Uninstall (TU).  In the end, I used TU to uninstall it, then re-installed.  Now things look OK, no File Explorer popping up so far.

Now I realise TU has an Autorun manager of its own - pity I dind't notice that before  :-[

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 05:37 PM »
You are welcome and yes, Autoruns is very complex but for myself the top tool to deal with anything related to Autoruns and never failed me.
Sorry that it did not work well for you but I am glad you found a solution for your needs!