topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Easily clean porous tile floors?  (Read 4717 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Easily clean porous tile floors?
« on: February 12, 2023, 11:59 AM »
Hi.  I am wondering if anyone has a solution to cleaning porous tile floors.  Every room in my apartment has the same porous tile floors.  Right now I am using the Swiffer method because I can throw the used wet pads into the trash.  However it is way too much work.  The tiles hold onto the dirt.  The least effort for me would probably be a wet mop and bucket such as that used by the cleaning staff for the common areas.  But I would not be allowed to dump black water down the drain as they are doing.

There must be some environmentally friendly way that takes less than 1/2 hour.

Any, hopefully inexpensive, suggestions?   ;D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Easily clean porous tile floors?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 10:00 PM »
The least effort for me would probably be ...

... going to the $2 shop and buying cheap poly tarps and putting them on the floor.

:P

Cheap vinegar solution, mop, pour it down the sink/bath/shower, probably do more good than harm.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 08:51 AM »
The least effort for me would probably be ...

... going to the $2 shop and buying cheap poly tarps and putting them on the floor.

:P

Cheap vinegar solution, mop, pour it down the sink/bath/shower, probably do more good than harm.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The thing is there is only a walk-in closet for storage.  Also the pest control guys seem to come in every week.  Management lets them in when I am not there.  So if they see anything that looks like a mop and bucket they will likely look for excuses to push me out.  I miss those shiny marble tiles.  So easy to clean.  I like white vinegar myself.  When I had a drip coffee maker I used that(diluted) to clean it.  Spring water makes good tasting coffee but the calcium builds up on the heating element.  I used to clean it maybe once a week

Maybe I will try more water with one of those thick Swiffer cloths.  Supposedly they absorb a lot of water.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 02:36 PM »
It seems as if the "favourite" method is mopping with a mixture of 1 part Dawn and two parts vinegar. Might be worth trying on a small (corner?) area.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 08:59 PM »
It seems as if the "favourite" method is mopping with a mixture of 1 part Dawn and two parts vinegar. Might be worth trying on a small (corner?) area.
-cranioscopical (February 13, 2023, 02:36 PM)

Thanks for the idea.  I have plenty of Dawn.  I was spraying diluted Dawn from a spray bottle but I did not think of the vinegar.  I guess I could try it with a dry Swiffer cloth.  The generic ones are only about $.25 each.  If it worked I could still chuck them into the kitchen trash bag when used.   :Thmbsup: