topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Be aware with online help: Screenshot Captor Quick-Capture bar turns on camera  (Read 5416 times)

jax200

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have been happily using Screenshot Captor for many years now.  However, I recently installed the app to a new laptop and something happened.  While getting assistance from Microsoft Support the representative was browsing my laptop to troubleshoot something and suddenly I was surprised to see he turned on my camera.  He claimed I had a camera app running which he mistakenly selected.  Indeed, I was unaware that the Quick Capture bar has a button that will turn on the camera.   

Be aware that unless you disable this Screenshot Captor feature, your privacy might be compromised when allowing outside technical support!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:32 AM by jax200 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Are you sure it was really Microsoft Support? That's a common scam where someone claiming to be from Microsoft "helps" you fix something on your computer, but really they're doing other malicious things.

jax200

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes it was the real guy who unfortunately spent hours troubleshooting OneDrive, an MS app that has it's drawbacks if you have thousands of files or many large ones. All I wanted was a couple folders synched for a new laptop.  Not possible without pain.
About 7 years ago I was naive to allow one of those scammers access to my PC, but I quickly realized my error and shut him down immediately.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Just to clarify, the feature you are talking about on the quick capture bar of Screenshot Captor is the function to grab a screenshot from your webcam, which you can also trigger from the main Capture menu of Screenshot Captor (near the bottom).  It doesn't record video just brings up a preview window showing the webcam view and a button you can press to capture an image from it.  I can see how it would be a suprise if you triggered it not knowing what it did!