topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows ini and other questions  (Read 2111 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows ini and other questions
« on: July 17, 2022, 09:01 PM »
Hello!

Few questions if anyone has any idea:
Is it possible to specify two finger gestures via AHK or other ways?
Is it possible to save my Windows and Office settings in an .ini file or something to migrate them easily across different machines?
Is it possible to feed a variable from a PowerBI visual into Power Query or a SQL query in Power BI? I know the 'Parameter' feature but not sure if it can be linked to a visual instead of popping a dialog box at start.
Is there an email client (free preferably) that supports full customization/automation with scripting?

Thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows ini and other questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 12:06 AM »
Free mail client? JBMail. But you won't like it.

Windows roaming user profile. That would take care of your personal Windows and Office settings, no matter which computer you log into. But comes at cost, especially if we're talking about an on-premise setup. You will need licensed copies of Windows, one computer will need to act as a domain server for the AD environment. While an AD environment is not too difficult to setup, it will require knowledge and given your questions on this forum, I get the impression that the gaps in your knowledge will make this a difficult task. Difficult enough that it would be better if you paid someone to do all the legwork.

Microsoft nowadays uses their cloud offerings to create your personal profile on their servers and applies settings to each device that logs into your account. While you don't have to pay for that, it is for personal use only. And Microsoft uses that information to create an extensive user profile they monetize. It ain't money, but you are paying.

Two-finger gestures? If you don't have hardware to support 2 (or more) finger gestures, you won't be able to use (any) software to make that work. While most new laptops have a trackpad that supports more than one finger, enough old laptops are still in use that do not have support for that.

Sharing content of a variable between applications? That is usually done through an API. You could try using JSON or SOAP. At work we use a tool called: SOAPUI (Java-based). Whether that is even an option for use with PowerBI, I don't know. It might give you more/better ideas for your own Google/Bing research.