topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Zabkat i-DeClone and DeskRule deals coming on Bits du Jour  (Read 4149 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Zabkat, best known for the xplorer2 file manager, are soon to offer Bits du Jour deals on two of their other programs:

i-DeClone 50% promotion
<http://zabkat.com/stsil/lt.php?id=Yh1WAxhRC09RCFFTUA>
May 7 & 8
(Search and remove duplicate files)

DeskRule 50% promotion
<http://zabkat.com/stsil/lt.php?id=Yh1XBBhRC09RCFFTUA>
May 12 & 13
(Advanced desktop file search)

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Zabkat i-DeClone and DeskRule deals coming on Bits du Jour
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I am curious if anyone is using Deskrule?  It looks like it can search the contents of a file and has numerous plugins that allow a quick preview (I think- have not tried them)

I have been using filelocator.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 03:49 PM »
I am curious if anyone is using Deskrule?  It looks like it can search the contents of a file [...]

I was interested in Deskrule because it can do obscure searches like finding which of your JPEGs does not have your name in the copyright field of its EXIF data.  The problem is that I find Deskrule one of the most impenetrable programs I've ever tried to use.  A GUI where you can tear bits off and dock them somewhere else does not help me, and I think it makes Help more confusing, because there's no guarantee your version will have the same appearance as is shown in Help.  I hate online Help anyway, the more so when it forces Edge, a browser I never use, and which isn't even set as my default.  It wasn't just me that had problems with the UI, either. At one point the author revised Deskrule to offer an alternative interface that was supposed to be easier.  I didn't find it much improvement, or maybe I was just jaundiced by then and didn't persevere.  Hence it may be the most powerful search engine ever made, but remains a mystery to me.  I'd rather have the relatively simple and straightforward UIs of programs like Nir Sofer's SearchMyFiles or the search part of XYplorer or maybe Binary Fortress' FileSeek.

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 04:17 PM »
I see. I had assumed that since you were sharing the promotion you liked it. I appreciate your sharing your issues with the UI.  I also noticed that it can do searched on removable  media which was attractive.
It seems like a powerful program. 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 05:40 PM »
I like the power it offers; some features I don't remember ever seeing in any other program, which would make it worth persevering if you really need them.  But, I genuinely found it hard going.