topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: OPML single line problems with export  (Read 2168 times)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OPML single line problems with export
« on: December 29, 2021, 08:29 AM »
I have been developing a workflow that involves using OPML to move between markdown files and Dynalist/Workflowy, but I have hit a problem with exporting notes from both outliners. Paragraphs work perfectly, but single lines concatenate and sometimes produce a \ at the end. I have tried a number of converters including MarkText and Typora (which uses Pandoc), and the issues exist in each. The samples below are in Typora (Marktext has occasional issues where an extra line feed slips into the middle of a paragraph).

The simplest answer for me is to always use paragraph breaks. But I can't help wondering what is going on with line breaks and whether there is a simple, automated answer to the problem.
Screenshot in Workflowy.pngOPML single line problems with exportScreenshot in Workflowy.pngOPML single line problems with exportWorkflowy export in Typora.pngOPML single line problems with export
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:36 AM by Dormouse »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OPML single line problems with export
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 02:41 PM »
It seems very interesting for everybody.

How can I try to help you ? Tell me
 :-* :PHappy new year with lacre.pngOPML single line problems with export

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 06:57 AM »
Tell me
What I'd like is to avoid the tail (file conversion glitch) wagging the dog (available programs and workflows).
With any solution being lower friction than moving from lines to paragraphs.

Dynalist and Workflowy appear fine for importing each other's opml exports single lines and all.
The problem comes with conversion to markdown.
Typora import concatenates single lines.
MarkText import concatenates single lines.
As do online converters.

I don't understand OPML, but it seems to be a difference of opinion about a setting relating to single lines. But I don't know the setting or how to change it in a simple way. I assume that if I  learned OPML, and Pandoc, and used Pandoc directly, there might be a solution. But I also suspect that route would be higher friction than using paragraphs only.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 01:12 PM »
I don't understand OPML, but it seems to be a difference of opinion about a setting relating to single lines
I've narrowed it down to this character -
The OPML uses it to indicate new line. x2=new para
But Typora has no new lines, only new paragraphs. So x2 recognised, x1 disappears

This leaves me doubting whether there exists a lower friction solution than simply using paragraphs instead of lines.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 01:29 PM »
But I also suspect that route would be higher friction than using paragraphs only.
Options using paragraphs only instead of lines:
  • In programs where Enter=new line, type Enter, Enter;
  • If writing a long document in Obsidian, WriteMonkey etc, convert the line breaks to paragraph breaks in Editpad;
  • Use Typora, MarkText or word processors instead of Obsidian, WriteMonkey (Copy and paste will include simple formatting such as bold, italics + underline in MarkText but not Typora).
The degree of extra friction is not that great, which is why it seems like that this is what I will do.