topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Multi-VPN Conections and rules  (Read 5162 times)

c-sanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Multi-VPN Conections and rules
« on: June 15, 2021, 10:05 PM »
I want some way to have multiple OpenVPN connections at the same time and set different rules.
e.g. have an OpenVPN connection used only in Chrome and use the local IP address for all other programs on the computer

So far the only way I find are virtual machines, but this is not very good, I want to do this without spending resources on a vm.

This kind of thing is possible with Proxies and using proxifier, but I don't know if it is possible with OpenVPN.

Related link:
https://github.com/s...suecomment-861978967

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Multi-VPN Conections and rules
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 11:59 PM »
I do not expect that the VPN server you hook up with has to be setup in such a way that it allows for traffic (on your end) that is not intended for the VPN to be routed through normal means and traffic that is intended for the VPN is routed through the VPN server. That is by default not the case. After all, for those companies that run their own VPN server, it is security what they are after. And such a "hybrid" VPN connection is much less secure than a VPN server setup that re-routes all traffic from the client (you) through their VPN server.

That is, if I understand your question correctly.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:17 AM »
I think you want Split Tunnelling, but I'm not sure OpenVPN can do it at the application level, only network routes.

Some VPN providers do application level split tunnelling, (eg. WindScribe), where you can either specify apps that will, (Inclusive mode), or won't, (Exclusive mode), use the VPN connection.  But that only applies to a single VPN connection.

Seeing as you seem to want multiple VPN connections and be able to direct certain programs toward a specific VPN connection I think you'll have to resort to proxies or stay with VMs.

c-sanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 09:16 PM »
I think you want Split Tunnelling, but I'm not sure OpenVPN can do it at the application level, only network routes.

Some VPN providers do application level split tunnelling, (eg. WindScribe), where you can either specify apps that will, (Inclusive mode), or won't, (Exclusive mode), use the VPN connection.  But that only applies to a single VPN connection.

Seeing as you seem to want multiple VPN connections and be able to direct certain programs toward a specific VPN connection I think you'll have to resort to proxies or stay with VMs.
Yeah, I want do this, if I am not mistaken windscribe uses openvpn (tap driver)
If I can at least use VPN and my local IP at the same time it would be great.
Being able to use more than two connections simultaneously would be great too, but I understand that this can be much more complicated.

c-sanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 09:42 PM »
Ok I found something very interesting :D
https://github.com/s...ontrol/VpnDialerPlus
Now I need to see how to set this up with OpenVPN / Tap.
I hope I can get it, if anyone knows how to make it work let me know.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 12:04 AM »

Yeah, I want do this, if I am not mistaken windscribe uses openvpn (tap driver)

Depends on the protocol you set it to use, OpenVPN, IKEV2, WireGuard, etc - I use WireGuard, connections are normally faster due to less overhead.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:21 AM by 4wd »

c-sanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 12:12 PM »
I found a way to do this properly with BindIP, as described by its author, it is a spiritual successor to ForceBindIP :D
https://github.com/katlogic/bindip

Works as a charm :D

c-sanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 05:15 PM »
I can then have my local ip address + one vpn addresss
Now I want have my local ip address + two or more vpn address
Why?
Why not? :P

Indeed OpenVPN have option to connect to multiple VPNs with and different adapters at time.
I followed this guide
https://michlstechbl...ple-vpns-on-windows/
However once I connect two vpns all connections are blocked, I have no access to any of them, neither local nor VPNs.

I wonder if I have not yet configured the vpn files correctly or there is something I have not seen.
Can someone help me with this?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 06:03 PM »
You should check what IP addresses are configured on all the connectors you have created. That should give you an idea about the way OpenVPN is getting "confused".

It is likely that it cannot differentiate between different VPN adapters or gets so confused that nothing works anymore.

Failing to see why you would want to have more than 2 VPN connections. Your computer would become some kind of bridge between VPN providers. Which is desirable to none of them. And security-wise it doesn't add much on your end either. 

WinSock can (and does) become a headache, when you deviate from the standard use-cases.

However, if you do need access to multiple VPN providers, you do better to use router software like OPNSense, pfSense, MikroTik, etc. And have enough network cards in your spare PC or VM for each VPN provider you wish to access. OPNSense and pfSense are free to use, have helpful forums and paid support. MikroTik requires specific hardware, is harder to setup, but also works very well.

This is proper routing software, running on a operating system (FreeBSD) that was designed with networking in mind. On the other hand, Windows wasn't designed with networking in mind, that has been added later. The design decisions made at the time still have their impact on how well Windows handles networking.

c-sanchez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for your reply Shades, however my goal is to avoid additional operating systems with virtual machines.
I can't figure out how to correctly configure the openvpn adapters, network configurations are not something I am exactly proficient in and I find it a bit complicated heh

judder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2022
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 05:07 PM »
Thanks guys
that is what I was looking for