topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android Spark email client user data creep  (Read 3776 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android Spark email client user data creep
« on: March 09, 2021, 02:56 PM »
I have switched to Spark email client on my Android 8.0 phone.  I like it but for one issue.  The User Data shown keeps creeping up even though it is only supposed to cache emails, not permanently store them locally.  Pushing the Clear Data Android option in storage would force me to reenter the account info etc..  Not a great solution.

I have also sent this question to Spark support.  If I get a solution from them I will post it here.

One of the features I like about Spark is that by default I get a notification of the email with options to delete or archive it, etc. without having to open the client UI.  Kind of neat for a freebie.   8)

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android Spark email client user data creep
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 04:41 AM »
Maybe they do log everything what cost in conclusion your system capacity.
(in log often stuff like "connected to..." "connected on..." "receive header..." "blablabla info info info")

Just a guess, I use my systems eMail Client.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:07 AM »
Maybe they do log everything what cost in conclusion your system capacity.
(in log often stuff like "connected to..." "connected on..." "receive header..." "blablabla info info info")

Just a guess, I use my systems eMail Client.
it wouldn't be so bad if I could store everything on the SD card I don't know how to do that either. Maybe I'll ask them.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 12:29 PM »
One of the features I like about Spark is that by default I get a notification of the email with options to delete or archive it, etc. without having to open the client UI.

FYI I think the default Gmail client does this as well. I think you may have to pull the notification down to expand it before you see those options, but I'm pretty sure the options are there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:41 PM by Deozaan »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I got an answer from someone at Spark.  The feature to automatically delete the cached files is on the Wish List.  He suggested a reinstall to reduce the user storage accumulation.  Seems like using the Delete User Data option is better.  I deleted user data and had to reenter my Outlook info.  However 2 google email accounts I also had connected to it showed up once the app was functional.

At least I only had to add one account.  No estimated time for the new feature though.  It sounds like it is on a back burner that is currently flamed out.   ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 09:16 AM »
One of the features I like about Spark is that by default I get a notification of the email with options to delete or archive it, etc. without having to open the client UI.

FYI I think the default Gmail client does this as well. I think you may have to pull the notification down to expand it before you see those options, but I'm pretty sure the options are there.

In Spark the delete option may only be for stuff it categorizes as Subscriptions.  I have changed the notify setting from All to Smart to see if I notice the difference.